Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys, I'm a year 10 student who takes:
Triple Science (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
French (AQA)
Maths (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
English Language(AQA)

I have mock exams in April, in which I'm keen to perform well. The student room has a whirlpool of highly academic students who have achieved well in exams, so I'm looking for any tips/advice that would help me to do my absolute best in these exams.

I plan to start revising this week; using active recall and spaced repetition to ensure that I know my content. I plan to use exam style questions, particularly from physicsandmathstutor.com to develop my exam technique for the sciences and maths, in which I want 8s and 9s. For history, I will practice planning out exam questions; similar to English Literature and Language. For French, I plan create flashcards to learn key, higher level vocab. I would appreciate more advice and secret tips; enlighten me!

Thank you.
Wonyo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, this is from a Year 11, who did mocks in December (with about 3 weeks notice to revise for them D.

I’m not sure how your exam timetable is spread out, but for some context I ended up have 2 or 3 exams a day across a whole week. In some sense, it was chaotic, because I neglected revision until the week before! I managed to get five 9s in English Lang and Lit, Chemistry, Spanish speaking and History, which I’m happy about!

What I would recommend is don’t overdo things, it’ll tire you out. In the run up to them, make sure you do a little a day and when it comes closer try to revise topics in details.

For French, are you doing the whole set, as in speaking/listening/reading/writing? If so, definitely try to do practice exams on listening and see how you do. If you note down the vocab you missed it will help. I do Spanish, and I got a 9 in the speaking!

For maths, I recommend onmaths, it has online test papers that mark as you go, which is really useful, and even has predictions! Seneca Learning is free and brilliant for sciences. It’s great recall and for my Biology mock it helped me to get a secure 8 and 7 in Physics (which I struggle in!)

As someone who loves English and is wanting to do it for A-Level, I 100% recommend doing past papers. It’s a bore but also gets you ready for them. Make sure you watch Mr Bruff for anytning you’re unsure of, especially how to structure each question. It helps to know your quotes of the texts you are studying, especially using flashcards and revise key themes and concepts to do with them.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helped!
AB2907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by polsan)
Hi, this is from a Year 11, who did mocks in December (with about 3 weeks notice to revise for them D.

I’m not sure how your exam timetable is spread out, but for some context I ended up have 2 or 3 exams a day across a whole week. In some sense, it was chaotic, because I neglected revision until the week before! I managed to get five 9s in English Lang and Lit, Chemistry, Spanish speaking and History, which I’m happy about!

What I would recommend is don’t overdo things, it’ll tire you out. In the run up to them, make sure you do a little a day and when it comes closer try to revise topics in details.

For French, are you doing the whole set, as in speaking/listening/reading/writing? If so, definitely try to do practice exams on listening and see how you do. If you note down the vocab you missed it will help. I do Spanish, and I got a 9 in the speaking!

For maths, I recommend onmaths, it has online test papers that mark as you go, which is really useful, and even has predictions! Seneca Learning is free and brilliant for sciences. It’s great recall and for my Biology mock it helped me to get a secure 8 and 7 in Physics (which I struggle in!)

As someone who loves English and is wanting to do it for A-Level, I 100% recommend doing past papers. It’s a bore but also gets you ready for them. Make sure you watch Mr Bruff for anytning you’re unsure of, especially how to structure each question. It helps to know your quotes of the texts you are studying, especially using flashcards and revise key themes and concepts to do with them.

Hi! Thanks so much for the reply!

Whilst the official exam timetable hasn't been given out, my Head of Year explained that is more than likely we will have 2-3 exams a day, like you said. Those results are v. v. impressive, especially the Spanish speaking.
I'm not too sure about French as we have only finished 2 of the units. I think listening would definitely be my weakest one as we do it the least in class, so I'll definitely try what you said.
I've never heard of onmaths but I will definitely give it a go, thank you so much!
Started using seneca learning as well, it's a miracle that it's free.
I also love Mr Bruff! I have his guide to English Language eBook, so I will definitely look at that when I am unsure.
Have you bought any revision guides? If so, what ones?
Wonyo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The Art of Poetry (AQA Power and conflict, if you’re doing that) book is a ‘revision guide’ my teacher recommended me, and it’s so useful for knowing and analysing poetries in more higher level understanding! It’s a bit pricey but worth it. Unfortunately I do Edexcel Maths, but it’s worth getting any work book targeted at 8-9. It’s got real challenging stuff that could help.

With my school, I bought all 3 triple science books (but again I do AQA D and work books for cheap. My school made revision guides for History (but I think I’m doing AQA), so I’d recommend you look up model answers and test papers. Once you know the structure of every question, in my opinion, it’s easy going! Especially if you enjoy History like me!

I also have a Spanish revision guide with all the topics. I do AQA Languages as well, so maybe it’s worth it to buy a French one? From time to time I do the questions and practices in the workbook for revision.
IMD16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AB2907)
Hi guys, I'm a year 10 student who takes:
Triple Science (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
French (AQA)
Maths (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
English Language(AQA)

I have mock exams in April, in which I'm keen to perform well. The student room has a whirlpool of highly academic students who have achieved well in exams, so I'm looking for any tips/advice that would help me to do my absolute best in these exams.

I plan to start revising this week; using active recall and spaced repetition to ensure that I know my content. I plan to use exam style questions, particularly from physicsandmathstutor.com to develop my exam technique for the sciences and maths, in which I want 8s and 9s. For history, I will practice planning out exam questions; similar to English Literature and Language. For French, I plan create flashcards to learn key, higher level vocab. I would appreciate more advice and secret tips; enlighten me!

Thank you.
For the sciences, the way it worked for me was to make flash cards for each topic, learn them to an extent (don't spend hours and hours learning them, juts 10-15 minutes for that topic) and then use the revision workbook (if you have it) to go through the questions on that topic. But word of warning, each topic in detail take about 3 hours to make revision cards on.

For maths, there is this website called method maths which is another practice paper website, and it has about 20 9-1 gcse maths higher and foundation papers. each question has a help button which gives you a walkthrough kind of thing where it gives you a starting point and the helps you throughout the question if you don't know what to do. But this is only used by certain schools and your school might not have a subscription to it. just ask your teacher if you're not sure.

For English literature its about learning key quotes from the poems and the books. for the poems I really recommend this youtube channel called Stacey Reay. she does level 9 analysis of poems and is really helpful. for English language, it is all about doing practice questions to get used to the style of questions that will be in the exam.

Its the same kind of idea for French. just do practice questions of areas where you are not as comfortable. Learn the ways to write different tenses like the conditional, the plu perfect and future tense. Also for speaking, try and learn your questions without any mistakes because in your speaking exam, the conversation is 35 marks and its just seeing how well you can learn them. the better you learn your own questions, the better marks you will get in that area.

For History, I'm not so sure about it because I do geography but I'm pretty sure its just learning about how to structure different marked questions and that stuff.

Remember, this Is only year 10 and don't worry too much if you don't get your preferred grades. The REAL exams which count come a year later.

Good luck out there anyway lol
___amyyyx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by polsan)

I’m not sure how your exam timetable is spread out, but for some context I ended up have 2 or 3 exams a day across a whole week. In some sense, it was chaotic, because I neglected revision until the week before! I managed to get five 9s in English Lang and Lit, Chemistry, Spanish speaking and History, which I’m happy

Damn you did so well I came out with 3s and 4s from revising the day before the exam
AB2907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by IMD16)

For English literature its about learning key quotes from the poems and the books. for the poems I really recommend this youtube channel called Stacey Reay. she does level 9 analysis of poems and is really helpful. for English language, it is all about doing practice questions to get used to the style of questions that will be in the exam.
Oh okay. We haven't actually started poetry, I believe we start it in year 11. We've done An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol, how would you recommend revising for them?
IMD16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AB2907)
Oh okay. We haven't actually started poetry, I believe we start it in year 11. We've done An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol, how would you recommend revising for them?
Make sure you learnt the story really well and know many facts about each character. I recommend making a fact file on the characters with key quotes and key ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads