Friends are nice things to make right? Watch

Anthony T
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I've come to the realisation that I no longer have many friends since most have left sixth form and I'm not great at the whole being social thing soooo lets see how well I can find people to talk to here.

I'm 17, in year 13 studying my A-Levels (ICT, Photography)
I like games and YouTube ('cause I'm sad)
Blood_Orange
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ey, I left sixth form a bit early, I was doing 180 credit Media Studies and once all the work was done you could pretty much go in April of your second year. Cause I left early, I've kinda just been home since then ;-; I have a job so at least I got that to do, but I can definitely relate to not having many / any friends XD without school it's really hard to maintain friendships.
RikaX97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can definitely relate to not having many friends in the past; I'm okay now, but not having people to talk to can get pretty depressing.
I like games too! I've been working on making one of my own, it's pretty fun to actually be making one, you get to see how parts of it come together and how the creative process of the whole thing works. I'd totally recommend giving it a shot if you have the time!

Honestly, this might not work for everyone, but if you can take up something creative (music, art, game design, comedy, anything), you might have a better shot at talking to people, even if you're a pretty awkward person. It gives you a great place to start talking to someone, and if you're making something in public, people will (I honestly couldn't believe this when it started happening to me) go out of their way to talk to you about it; lots of people are interested in what other people can make.

Anything you like doing?
Anthony T
Rep:
?
(Original post by RikaX97)
I can definitely relate to not having many friends in the past; I'm okay now, but not having people to talk to can get pretty depressing.
I like games too! I've been working on making one of my own, it's pretty fun to actually be making one, you get to see how parts of it come together and how the creative process of the whole thing works. I'd totally recommend giving it a shot if you have the time!

Honestly, this might not work for everyone, but if you can take up something creative (music, art, game design, comedy, anything), you might have a better shot at talking to people, even if you're a pretty awkward person. It gives you a great place to start talking to someone, and if you're making something in public, people will (I honestly couldn't believe this when it started happening to me) go out of their way to talk to you about it; lots of people are interested in what other people can make.

Anything you like doing?
Funnily enough I'm actually going to go to uni for games development as its something I have a lot of interest in. What kind of game are you making by the way if you don't mind me asking?

In terms of creative things I can sorta play guitar. I haven't played properly in about 6 years or so now but still retain some knowledge on how to play. The main issue with it now is I get annoyed when I try to play something new but am evidently nowhere near as good as I used to be. Hoping to pick it back up again when I'm in uni though.
RikaX97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anthony T)
Funnily enough I'm actually going to go to uni for games development as its something I have a lot of interest in. What kind of game are you making by the way if you don't mind me asking?

In terms of creative things I can sorta play guitar. I haven't played properly in about 6 years or so now but still retain some knowledge on how to play. The main issue with it now is I get annoyed when I try to play something new but am evidently nowhere near as good as I used to be. Hoping to pick it back up again when I'm in uni though.
Oh that's cool! I'm trying to make a metroidvania, although the amount I'll actually get done will probably be limited, so it'll most likely end up being something more along the lines of a combat heavy platformer. It's heavily, maybe even too heavily inspired by Hollow Knight, but that's a great game, so I don't mind too much. I hope to do a games dev course too, so I've already started using Unity; wasn't anywhere near as hard as I expected once I got started, it's actually really fun to mess around with. I really want to make unique art for the game, which will take time, but it's something I'd like to learn and put focus on.

Guitar's are cool! I did a similar thing with the piano; I played it for a while a few years ago, gave up, and haven't really picked it up since. But, even if you feel un-confident for a while, it's a whole lot easier to pick up again once you've learned it once. I reckon you already know that though lol, good luck with picking it up again! I'm honestly pretty excited for uni, even though I've never been a social or party person, the social aspect seems great.
Anthony T
Rep:
?
Oh that's cool! I'm trying to make a metroidvania, although the amount I'll actually get done will probably be limited, so it'll most likely end up being something more along the lines of a combat heavy platformer. It's heavily, maybe even too heavily inspired by Hollow Knight, but that's a great game, so I don't mind too much. I hope to do a games dev course too, so I've already started using Unity; wasn't anywhere near as hard as I expected once I got started, it's actually really fun to mess around with. I really want to make unique art for the game, which will take time, but it's something I'd like to learn and put focus on.

Guitar's are cool! I did a similar thing with the piano; I played it for a while a few years ago, gave up, and haven't really picked it up since. But, even if you feel un-confident for a while, it's a whole lot easier to pick up again once you've learned it once. I reckon you already know that though lol, good luck with picking it up again! I'm honestly pretty excited for uni, even though I've never been a social or party person, the social aspect seems great.
That sounds really cool! I love Hollow Knight (even though I haven't finished it). I was going to try out unity a while back, opened it, saw all the menus and, just, stuff, said I'd come back to it later, haven't touched it since.

I'm also really excited for uni, even though I am absolutely terrified at the same time. I'm really bad in social situations because I overthink everything there is to think about and it ends in a lot of awkward silence as a result. However, I am hopeful that I'll actually be able to meet some new people there and, failing that, at least one of my few current friends lives close to the campus.
RikaX97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds really cool! I love Hollow Knight (even though I haven't finished it). I was going to try out unity a while back, opened it, saw all the menus and, just, stuff, said I'd come back to it later, haven't touched it since.

I'm also really excited for uni, even though I am absolutely terrified at the same time. I'm really bad in social situations because I overthink everything there is to think about and it ends in a lot of awkward silence as a result. However, I am hopeful that I'll actually be able to meet some new people there and, failing that, at least one of my few current friends lives close to the campus.
Lol, I totally haven't beaten Hollow Knight either. As for Unity, I totally get that, it's jumping in the deep end. BUT after messing around with it for a while you'll totally get used to it. The menus look complex, but they're actually very simple once you get started; the engine was made for designers rather than programmer to be able to use it, so it's essentially laid out like an art program, it's simple once you get the hang of it; don't be put off by the start. I'd totally recommend watching a tutorial about it on youtube when you have some spare time, maybe this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9nwbZngyw
Brackeys is great at describing Unity, even the finickity bits. If you get started on it, feel free to ask me questions about it, I can explain how I've been doing things if you want! Unity is genuinely something you should try not to give up on, it's so fun and honestly somewhat simple once you figure out the initial bits.

And yeah, those feelings about uni are very similar to how I felt when I first went to secondary school lol. I suppose since then I've changed a lot; I'm far less shy than I used to be, Until about year 10/11 I would worry all the time and stress myself out, while trying to seem as normal as possible. Much happier since I gave up on that personally! (even though some people do find me a little brazen now). Uni does seem like a good way to meet people though, so I hope you find people you get along with!
Anthony T
Rep:
?
Lol, I totally haven't beaten Hollow Knight either. As for Unity, I totally get that, it's jumping in the deep end. BUT after messing around with it for a while you'll totally get used to it. The menus look complex, but they're actually very simple once you get started; the engine was made for designers rather than programmer to be able to use it, so it's essentially laid out like an art program, it's simple once you get the hang of it; don't be put off by the start. I'd totally recommend watching a tutorial about it on youtube when you have some spare time, maybe this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9nwbZngyw
Brackeys is great at describing Unity, even the finickity bits. If you get started on it, feel free to ask me questions about it, I can explain how I've been doing things if you want! Unity is genuinely something you should try not to give up on, it's so fun and honestly somewhat simple once you figure out the initial bits.

And yeah, those feelings about uni are very similar to how I felt when I first went to secondary school lol. I suppose since then I've changed a lot; I'm far less shy than I used to be, Until about year 10/11 I would worry all the time and stress myself out, while trying to seem as normal as possible. Much happier since I gave up on that personally! (even though some people do find me a little brazen now). Uni does seem like a good way to meet people though, so I hope you find people you get along with!
Cool thanks!

Since year 11 ended (thank god) I've come out of my shell a little more since there are a hell of a lot less people in sixth form which helped. I'm still god awful at talking to people I don't know, just now, slightly less god awful at it (as is hopefully showing now lol).
RikaX97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anthony T)Cool thanks!

Since year 11 ended (thank god) I've come out of my shell a little more since there are a hell of a lot less people in sixth form which helped. I'm still god awful at talking to people I don't know, just now, slightly less god awful at it (as is hopefully showing now lol).

That's great! Personally, I found getting less socially awkward happened kind of exponentially; I was becoming slowly and gradually less awkward, until I sort of just gave up the slow & steady method and started doing whatever I felt like. I'm a little like a hyperactive child now, and it feels great! Not everyone is fine with it, and of course I tone it down when I have to, but it actually cheers people up a lot. I find everyone is so restrictive of themselves because they want to appear normal, that by just rejecting that I can make everyone happier sometimes, if I act in a completely absurd way, other that level of day-to-day normalcy breaks down a little.

I hope you become even better at talking to other people ^^

btw, do you use Discord? If you ever want to pm me that would probs be the best way; I plan to use this website more, it seems fun, but I'm terribly inconsistent at checking my messages on anything other than Discord.
Anthony T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anthony T)Cool thanks!

That's great! Personally, I found getting less socially awkward happened kind of exponentially; I was becoming slowly and gradually less awkward, until I sort of just gave up the slow & steady method and started doing whatever I felt like. I'm a little like a hyperactive child now, and it feels great! Not everyone is fine with it, and of course I tone it down when I have to, but it actually cheers people up a lot. I find everyone is so restrictive of themselves because they want to appear normal, that by just rejecting that I can make everyone happier sometimes, if I act in a completely absurd way, other that level of day-to-day normalcy breaks down a little.

I hope you become even better at talking to other people ^^

btw, do you use Discord? If you ever want to pm me that would probs be the best way; I plan to use this website more, it seems fun, but I'm terribly inconsistent at checking my messages on anything other than Discord.
Thanks. I hope so too.

And yes I do use Discord. I can pm you my Discord name thing if you want.
RikaX97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sure, sounds good!

Thanks. I hope so too.

And yes I do use Discord. I can pm you my Discord name thing if you want.
Elissa.hanna
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ive come to a realisation that i hate the world
Anthony T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elissa.hanna)
Ive come to a realisation that i hate the world
ye, same here tbh
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Elissa.hanna
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ye, same here tbh
Its 2:32 am and i cant be bothered going to sleep
Anthony T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elissa.hanna)
Its 2:32 am and i cant be bothered going to sleep
it's 2:33 over here and I should've gone to sleep a while ago but I keep getting distracted by everything
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RikaX97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's 2:33 over here and I should've gone to sleep a while ago but I keep getting distracted by everything
I was going to tell you to go to sleep, but I'm doing exactly the same thing lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.21%

Watched Threads