Dairy industry threatens vegan cheese shop for having the word cheese Watch

Ralph0211
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In their products. They say it is misleading consumers.

What a load of bs. I think people know that if they walk into a vegan cheese shop its obvious that all the cheeses are going to have plant base ingredients. Really they only doing this just to jump on the anti vegan bandwagon as they see veganism to be a threat to their industry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8775001.html
Last edited by Ralph0211; 4 weeks ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The producers of traditional cheese seem to have EU law on their side.

so will the soy munchers be waving the flag for brexit?
MongoDB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Couldn't care less.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
The producers of traditional cheese seem to have EU law on their side.

so will the soy munchers be waving the flag for brexit?
You realise the animals you eat consume a huge amount of soy...
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
You realise the animals you eat consume a huge amount of soy...
They really don't. American meat does but not British.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
They really don't. American meat does but not British.
They very much do. 80% of the soy produced in the world is fed to farm animals which are then eaten by meat eaters. So when you eat meat, you're eating soy, tonnes of it.

I also find it bizarre that adults who still drink breast milk (from a cow) describe being vegan as 'unmanly'.
Last edited by DSilva; 4 weeks ago
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They very much do. 80% of the soy produced in the world is fed to farm animals which are then eaten by meat eaters. So when you eat meat, you're eating soy, tonnes of it.

I also find it bizarre that adults who still drink breast milk (from a cow) describe being vegan as 'unmanly'.
Most animals in the UK are fed a combination of grass and maize, soy rarely features in our food chain because we don't grow it.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

That's like saying if you eat beef you eat grass. Would you like a grass burger?
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ralph0211)
What a load of bs.
The irony. :moo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
That's like saying if you eat beef you eat grass. Would you like a grass burger?
To be fair, I should have been more specific. But yeah you eat it indirectly, just as meat eaters eat huge amounts of soy indirectly. The average meat eater consumes around 61kg of soy a year.

The whole 'soy boy' label perpetuated by 'anti-vegans' relates to the idea that because soy contains oestrogen and vegans eat soy, that vegans are unmanly. But when you eat animals, you're eating oestrogen, plenty of it. Because animals ingest huge amounts of it.

And like I said, it's rather ironic for adult men who still drink breast milk to label vegans as 'unmanly'
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most animals in the UK are fed a combination of grass and maize, soy rarely features in our food chain because we don't grow it.
That's simply not correct. There's this misconception that farm animals mainly eat grass. The reality is 80-90% of soy produced in the world is eaten by farm animals. UK animals are no exception. We do import food, you know.
SerBronn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's about as logical as saying when you eat meat from a grazing animal you are eating grass.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SerBronn)
That's about as logical as saying when you eat meat from a grazing animal you are eating grass.
Look at my reply to jameswhughes.

It would be like saying when you eat meat, you are consuming the nutrients contained and hormones contained in grass.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's simply not correct. There's this misconception that farm animals mainly eat grass. The reality is 80-90% of soy produced in the world is eaten by farm animals. UK animals are no exception. We do import food, you know.
You call it a misconception, I call it experience. When I was in my livestock nutrition lectures not that long ago there was no mention of soy because it isn't something widely used in UK agriculture.

Provide some evidence to your claim.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You call it a misconception, I call it experience. When I was in my livestock nutrition lectures not that long ago there was no mention of soy because it isn't something widely used in UK agriculture.

Provide some evidence to your claim.
Your anecdotal experience doesn't counter actual data and research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...troying-planet

Huge amount of soy are grown in the UK to be fed to farm animals.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's no good looking at global statistics and assuming they apply everywhere. The UK grows little soy and imports almost all of its needs. DEFRA figures show the amount used for livestock feed amounts to about 8-15% of the total feed requirement. Little is used to feed beef cows, and most usage is in the dairy industry.

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/art...south-america/

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-to-grass-fed
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Huge amount of soy are grown in the UK
There's hardly any grown in the UK. At most 10k HA out of 3 million HA is soy in the UK = 0.33% total arable crop planting.
Last edited by Doones; 4 weeks ago
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your anecdotal experience doesn't counter actual data and research.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...troying-planet

How about some real UK data.

https://akcagric.co.uk/blog/soya-uk-real-option

From that we can see is produced, a mere 10k ha which is tiny in the grand scheme. Compared with say maize which crops about 300k ha annually.

Grass will always be our largest grown crop for obvious reasons.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
The irony. :moo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best emoticon ive seen and very versatile. Are there other ones like it? A duck one with quack?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (96)
16.67%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.42%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.53%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.28%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.07%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
30.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed