The Student Room Group

UK Students walking out of school in protest over climate change

Scroll to see replies

Every day I went it was open.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
A bit irrelevant imo.

Whats protests in one country that doesn't even contribute heavily to said pollution even gona do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This ain't asda, every little helps ain't gona make a difference here...

They feel like they are good people and they managed to skip school for a day. Win win situation
The planets been around for like 6k years before us, I’m sure it’ll live after we’ve died
would have certianly loved joining in back when I was in school.

I wonder where schools limmit will be though - Its obviously bennificial for them to be in favour of this day of protest... maybe the next, but what about weekly protests? Mass strikes etc?

Nothing wrong with protesting - I'm just currious how much it would take for the teachers/head teachers who are coming out in favour of student protests, to back-track and turn against the students.

I could see this becoming a real thing - kids are effective, the climate group initially behind this protest has played an absolute blindingly good hand by getting kids involved, its a PR masterclass... will other causes start trying to organise child-protests? one friday its climate change.. next friday rape culture.. next friday systematic racism.. next friday trans-rights etc.

Its just speculation obviously, but as someone who works in education, I would certainly be behind a student protest like this - if its a one off - but if it becomes a 'thing' then I would probably have to do something about it, as otherwise it will harm their education

It leads to some uncomfortable questions for teachers:

If I like this protest, and I agree that students have the right to protest...

what issues are students allowed to protest over?

How often are students allowed to protest?
Does protesting come before the quality of their education?

If there must be a limmit to how much they can protest, who decides which protests are allowed and which arent?

How do we rank issues by importance?

and most of all:

If protests are encouraged... when does it cease to be a protest?

(e.g. if you say to your boss "I'm protesting about working conditions.. I won't come in today!!!" and your boss says "OK, have the day off anyway" - is it still a protest?)
Didn't know there was a post about this.
Right...
This is the most stupid thing ever
What are they protesting against?? Climate change is bloody natural,....no it's not, oh it is as were coming out of an ice age.
They are the well all the plastic, all the rubbish in the environment...yeh I agree bad so needs cleaning up.
The oil and gasses cause (you changed name from global warming lol,) climate change.
How so???
The icecaps are melting...no there not, there actually getting bigger and thicker.
There's too much carbon dioxide and manoxide which is bad for the environment...it's not dioxide is for trees....it's needed, manoxide is used by other life....it's needed.
Electric cars are the future...lol this one makes me chuckle. Right the battery powered cars..how do you charge them? Charging points...where does the power come from? Oil,coal and gas power stations lol.
They can't tax electric vehicles as much...they love tax...it will fail. If they did a fully electric car that recharged itself ...100% clean it wouldn't be allowed on the road. You can't tax it.Hydrogen....the oldest fuel ..clean, super cheap....they realised they couldn't really tax this so got rid of it. It's used in very rich areas so the rich can drive super cheap and not get taxed. It's such a joke. They have said for the last 100 years there's 10years oil oil left worldwide..we still seem to have unlimited amount...like it's been constantly made. The fuel prices are made up, when the oil prices dropped to barely anything a barrel the price went up to stop them losing money. They say humans are causing climate change rapidly. I say BS and price it.
We have had a huge industrial revolution, smog, black smoke and other poisons daily for s very very long time ...we at the time had extreme winters, extreme snow, ice, it's written and on records.... And imagine the heat pumped out... Let's talk wars. WW1 and WW2....how many bombs were dropped over the period. An insane amount...yet we had crazy cold winters...to the point we're soldiers froze to death. We had 2 atomic bombs go off in Japan as America wanted to test them. And 1 test 1 before that....still ice cold winters after . Over 1000 nukes have been dropped in the last 50 years...now all at once they say after all that our factories and cars are causing climate change. Are you all complete morons. Do you actually believe what they tell you...your all idiot's. The poles ice is getting thicker. Were having winters as normal, the times change on winter so earlier or later because that how it's always been. Weather cycles. The UK as were on an island our weathers always different. It depends on wind and current. 1 year we can have extreme cold...1 year it can be lovely and mild. All the snow reports you see, super blizzard coming from Russia...and it doesn't hit.. the wind will push it away. That's not global warming that's bloody wind.
These kids not knowing any of this show how the intelligence of our society is dropping and that's scary. The TV and news, mainly left wing lie, the left wing own most of the media, control public education, so schools, colleges and unis. Brainwashing kids and teens to believe this crap and with no proof. They break ppl down in to groups, LGBT,women's rights, femnazis and so on ..they all think they are minorities, they all think they are oppressed for some reason yet their the most well of kids and teens in modern history. Look at that stupid march. It has a LGBT flag...wtf has that gotta do with climate change...excactly nothing.
Kids need to get their backsides I'm school and learn, not Pratt about. The kids are our futures...and if they carry on our future is very bleak.
Climate change and environmental damage are by far the two biggest issues that face humanity, and the planet. The children of today are the ones who will have to live in the circumstances generated by the last century or so of extreme damage and transformation so it's good to see when they protest.
Original post by kasper1230
The planets been around for like 6k years before us, I’m sure it’ll live after we’ve died

No one is saying it won't.Even with climate change the planet will be fine.But having our cities underwater or having to deal with extrene weather wont exactly be good gor us either.
Original post by anonymous1231231
You’re not. I said it’s frustrating people leave the lights on, and you dismissed it quickly by saying no they don’t. I said it’s annoying people drive two minutes to the shop when they buy a bottle of shampoo, or milk or just a bag full of things. You quickly dismissed it by saying people don’t do that.

It doesn't really matter if they do.There is no point in individuals attempting to tackle climate change.To actually beat it would require global government action on a massive scale.Goverments and companies should be working hard on making technology more sustainable and renewable.Yeah you can criticise the kids for riding in a land rover to school.Or you can criticise the company who built that land rover for not making use of alternative fuels or making efforts to slash emissions.
Original post by AJ126
It doesn't really matter if they do.There is no point in individuals attempting to tackle climate change.To actually beat it would require global government action on a massive scale.Goverments and companies should be working hard on making technology more sustainable and renewable.Yeah you can criticise the kids for riding in a land rover to school.Or you can criticise the company who built that land rover for not making use of alternative fuels or making efforts to slash emissions.

Thank you... This is what I wanted to say but didn't get onto doing it :biggrin:
This is the whole problem with these protests. Groups of school kids flocking the streets to shout some clichés about climate change won't do anything; it won't stop climate change, nor will it get any significant attention onto the subject either. In my opinion, it's already got enough attention. It's the biggest threat to humankind as is.
To paraphrase what you said very well, there simply isn't any point in the general population trying to stop climate change. Other issues such as plastic consumption, yes definitely, go ahead. But climate change? The power needed to stop it completely is above you, me, or even groups of protesting school kids.
Even if global superpowers were to, at this very instant, remove every single potentially climate changing source, the damage would still be there. Climate change would still be there. It would literally take decades, if not longer, for the damage to reverse itself. I'm not trying to say there's no point in tackling climate change full stop... But what I am saying, is leave it up to the folks who have power and know what they're doing, not some school kids who like to think they're changing the world when they're simply not doing anything.
I heard there was a guy with a PewDiePie banner.
Original post by Kian Stevens
... But what I am saying, is leave it up to the folks who have power and know what they're doing, not some school kids who like to think they're changing the world when they're simply not doing anything.

The problem is that the people who know how grave the problem is, and what needs to be done do not have the power to bring it about, whilst the people with the power do not want to do anything about it, because they benefit from the status quo.

Unless we (and that includes school children) show those in power that we won't go on supporting them, nothing will change.
What % of these children believe in the cause (enough to take action about it) and what % are jumping on the bandwagon to skive off of school?

A lot of people on here are being very supportive of this, (presumably because most people on here are children), but I think this is all just a massive waste of time, the (potential) positive impact this could have on the government's climate change strategy (not likely) is far outweighed by the disruption to schools and learning for students across the country, whether that be learning about science and climate change or anything else. I doubt half the people protesting even understand the scientific background of climate change...
Original post by Libtardian
Unfortunately science has become politicized so if you don't go with the flow you either loose your job or you don't get funding.

Have you ever actually worked in science? What you've said isn't remotely true, and the money in climate related science is in shilling for the oil companies who'd rather be filthy rich in a wasteland than merely incredibly rich in a living planet.

A university generally being the most inhospital place for someone whoes not a lefty to work.

Yeah no. The issue the right has is that it's descended into raving talking heads like Alex Jones, someone who has the remarkable ability to be wrong on everything he says. Once you've abandoned intellectualism to pursue outdated bunk like "climate change isn't happening" and racial intelligence, you've lost your right to be taken seriously in intellectual discussions. You're completely denying objective reality, particularly over topics like this, then trying to bring Ted Nugent and pitching him as a serious opponent to someone like Judith Butler (a major academic in gender and queer theory) as if they were equals.

Credit to the kids protesting this, but let's remember that while 71% of global carbon emissions come from 100 companies (https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change) the only viable solution is investing in guillotine stocks.
Original post by OxFossil
The problem is that the people who know how grave the problem is, and what needs to be done do not have the power to bring it about, whilst the people with the power do not want to do anything about it, because they benefit from the status quo.

Unless we (and that includes school children) show those in power that we won't go on supporting them, nothing will change.

Nope, I disagree with you, sorry.

The only people who can do anything are the ones in power, nobody else. I've already mentioned previously how these same people are making progress; new fuel sources for vehicles, new energy sources for power, all things which attempt to avoid the usage of climate-changing materials.
These people won't benefit from staying with the status quo, simply for two reasons: it's economically more sensible to make progress in the current world's context, and so R&D and subsequent business are shifting away from the status quo. Also, there's no benefit in staying with the status quo as it's this what has caused, and is still causing, this problem in the first place.

It's a shoot yourself in the foot situation if you make it clear that you don't support the ones in power, as these are the only ones who can literally save the world. A few protests are literally a waste of time; everyone knows how bad climate change is, especially the ones in power, so the protests won't do anything positive in terms of 'awareness'. The protests seem more like they're for students who, for one, like to feel as though they're changing the world even though they're not doing anything, and for two, who want to jump on the bandwagon and have a cheap excuse to not be in school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 94
Seriously? Climate change? Maybe they should protest against hurricanes and fires next. Smh
Original post by Stevo F
What % of these children believe in the cause (enough to take action about it) and what % are jumping on the bandwagon to skive off of school?

A lot of people on here are being very supportive of this, (presumably because most people on here are children), but I think this is all just a massive waste of time, the (potential) positive impact this could have on the government's climate change strategy (not likely) is far outweighed by the disruption to schools and learning for students across the country, whether that be learning about science and climate change or anything else. I doubt half the people protesting even understand the scientific background of climate change...

It was the last day before half term.Most likely they'd barely be doing anything anyway.If I remember rightly the last day before the holidays generally involved watching videos and not much else.As for learning about climate change the basic background is not that complex.It can be done in less than a day.And it's not really a matter if believing in it unless you don't believe in thermometers.At least they are attempting to do something unlike everyonelse who are ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away.
Original post by Kian Stevens
Nope, I disagree with you, sorry.

The only people who can do anything are the ones in power, nobody else. I've already mentioned previously how these same people are making progress; new fuel sources for vehicles, new energy sources for power, all things which attempt to avoid the usage of climate-changing materials.
These people won't benefit from staying with the status quo, simply for two reasons: it's economically more sensible to make progress in the current world's context, and so R&D and subsequent business are shifting away from the status quo. Also, there's no benefit in staying with the status quo as it's this what has caused, and is still causing, this problem in the first place.

It's a shoot yourself in the foot situation if you make it clear that you don't support the ones in power, as these are the only ones who can literally save the world. A few protests are literally a waste of time; everyone knows how bad climate change is, especially the ones in power, so the protests won't do anything positive in terms of 'awareness'. The protests seem more like they're for students who, for one, like to feel as though they're changing the world even though they're not doing anything, and for two, who want to jump on the bandwagon and have a cheap excuse to not be in school.

Your opinion is at odds with the consensus of scientists. The October IPCC report said that "urgent and unprecendented changes" are needed just to meet the Paris agreement target of a 1.5C rise. Current actions are simply inadequate.

At the same time, the US president declared that he "doesn't believe" the report of the Fourth National Climate Assessment produced by US experts https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46351940.

That this was not just rhetoric was shown when, at the UN Climate talks conference in Katowice in December, the US blocked acceptance of the IPCC report. It was supported by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Russia (no prizes for guessing what interests were being represented here). Just to highlight an example of how "the ones in power" are not always acting in the general interest, the Koch brothers - owners of the second largest privately owned industry group in the US - have donated millions of dollars to support organisations dedicated to climate change denial and lobbying against legislation to restrict greenhouse emissions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers#Climate_change_and_use_of_fossil_fuels . Coincidence? I think not.

So, much as I'd like to think that our lords and masters are benevolent and trustworthy, the evidence doesn't support that notion. Without the wealth of the Koch brothers, street protest is one of the ways that ordinary people can try to influence them.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Have you ever actually worked in science? What you've said isn't remotely true, and the money in climate related science is in shilling for the oil companies who'd rather be filthy rich in a wasteland than merely incredibly rich in a living planet.

Not yet, I am still on the waiting list to enter Scientology.
Not yet, I am still on the waiting list to enter Scientology.

Entirely different things, Scientology is a cult founded by a sci-fi author, Science is none of those things, but rather a method of approaching and understanding the natural world. Science deals in facts (like that climate change is undeniably happening and is driven by human activity)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Entirely different things, Scientology is a cult founded by a sci-fi author, Science is none of those things, but rather a method of approaching and understanding the natural world. Science deals in facts (like that climate change is undeniably happening and is driven by human activity)

But if Scientology isn't then the the Church of Climatology isn't either?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending