Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A week today! For anyone sitting Higher Geography next Thursday...what are your thoughts on it?
    Confident? Does anyone has any ideas/predictions as to what sorts of questions will be in the paper this year? Also what do you think is the best way to study for Geogerrrs..just past paper over past paper?

ReputationRep:
    Ah god yeah a week today and I started my revision today, got frencht he day before as well. Errrm feeling pretty confident, got 90% in my prelim so I'm aiming for an A. I reckon there could be a coastal question for litosphere, other than that I have no clue! I just go over the marking schemes for past papers, learn the physical processes etc.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to stick to revising the main points in each topic, i didnt even have past papers, got a 3 in SG and still managed to get a B in the final exam, although i managed to avoid glaciers thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    i think the best way to study for geog is to write pages and pages of notes then do past papers. dont even bother using anything like bitesize, it SUCKS. if you've got the how to pass higher geog book thats really good cos it kinda condenses everything into the key stuff you have to know.

i hate how theres sooo much to learn though

got a B in the prelim so im hoping for an A, i think it all just depends on what comes up really.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Geography, how I hate it...

Anyone else really have trouble with time for Geography? Paper 2 is almost impossible in 1 hour 15. Missed out 40 marks in my prelim due to time.

ReputationRep:
    yeahh! i suck at timing. you only have two choices, either dont think and write a load of ****.. or think and hardly write anything

i suppose when ur in the actual exam you get a kind of adrenylin rush and everything comes back to you and you're able to write loads and loads.

if you do get stuck for time on the last few questions just bullet point the main points, you're not supposed to do it but the marker is sympathetic if they see you were able to write in propper sentences for previous questions lol. if it was a 20 mark question you'd only get marked out of something like 10 or 15, but i suppose thats better than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    oh god. Been going over atmosphere, I don't understand much of it. Hadley cells, ITCZs etc, arrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just write out sample answer for each predicted answer and learn them.

They can disguise the question with facts, figures and diagrams but it's always the same question year after year.

Sample answer = success.

ReputationRep:
    I always rewrite my notes loads of times for Geography then do past papers like crazy...

I think I've learned most of it now,

Was so lucky with the prelim questions 195 out of 200 (only got 1 out of 6 for slumping) so i'll appeal if it all goes tits up

ReputationRep:
    oh wow, 195 out of 200 thats so good!!

i totally dont understand slumping atall, i hope it doesnt come up!

i also hope there's a good urban question cos thats my strongest topic

does anyone know what advanced higher geog is like? ive took it for next year and i dont have a clue what it involves! i hope its fun

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ i love urban questions

i have not done any revision staring tommorrow i swear i got a B in my prelim though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    Just write out sample answer for each predicted answer and learn them.

They can disguise the question with facts, figures and diagrams but it's always the same question year after year.

Sample answer = success.
    That's exactly what I did--learnt the pastpaper answers off by heart. The questions are so ridiculously predictable. In the actual exam last year, I didn't even bother reading some of the questions because they're identical every single year. I guess the people making up the Geography papers aren't the most creative lot.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help me with atmospheric circulation/global winds and ocean currents? Especially global winds. They all just confuse me so much, and i bet they're simple once you've got the hang of it but it's just not working for me!
    but yeahh i'm so grateful for the the predictability of geography

ReputationRep:
    Any one know what La Nina and El Nino are?
    Cant find a simple explanation anywhere
    And do we actually need to know about them?

ReputationRep:
    Whats slumping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holdo24)
    Whats slumping?
    its a form of "mass land movement", if you want a description ill dig out my notes on it

ReputationRep:
    yeahh slumping might come under 'land sliding' in some notes as well.

'Landslips or landslumps are occasional, rapid movements of a mass of earth or rock sliding along a concave plane. They can occur after periods of heavy rain, when the water saturates overlying rock, making it heavy and liable to slide. Undercutting of a steep slope by river or sea erosion weakens the rock above, also making a slump likely.'

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh ok thanku

ReputationRep:
    The best way to revise for higher is definately to write out notes. I sat the exam last year and got over 90%

And Advanced Higher is alright. But, it is a lot different to higher. The exam is not too difficult though, but it was the folio that I didn't like. It seemed to drag on forever!! And the trip to kindrogan was so much fun

Good luck with your exam though.. you'll all do fine

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate Geography!!

Anybody got any predictions on whats going to come up in the exam?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.