btm108
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you had any advice when it comes to choosing between the University of Glasgow and University of Exeter for Law?
My goal is to become a Barrister (I know that its tricky if you didn't go to Oxbridge) but I am trying nonetheless. I already have a first degree from a U.S. university so I will be doing the Graduate LLB program at the school I choose.

I have heard that people generally find Glasgow to have a nicer environment/people are happier there but at the same time, Exeter has a better reputation for getting students into good chambers in London. I want to maximize my chances of getting a good pupilage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd base it on location. If you prefer Glasgow to Exeter, then go to Glasgow. Exeter doesn't really have a better rep; it has more law students. Glasgow law people usually take Scots law degrees and end up in Scottish legal practice rather than English, so that's why you see more Exeter grads at London chambers (if you do indeed see more of them there, not really looked at it).

I do have some qualms about the Glasgow common law course (which I presume you're talking about). Glasgow obviously mainly teaches Scots law; its academics are generally concerned with Scots law. At an English uni, you tend to get more established and leading English law academics teaching you.

Your undergrad degree carries some of the rep. If you managed to get a good grade at a good uni, then your life is a bit easier.
btm108
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you so much for reply! The information is very helpful and I appreciate your insight/remark on the Scots Law vs English Law academics. I hadn't really taken that into consideration.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Beyond surveys on each university's representation at the Bar, you could take a look at the sort of Bar-related events organised by each university's law society. Some of these (e.g. generic networking over drinks) are pretty much useless, but others (such as sponsored moots, sponsored essay competitions, high-profile speeches) do add value and may allow you to pimp that CV. Try each university law society's fb page or email them directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed