Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship 2019? Watch

swisspaella
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm very interested in applying to join the 2019 fast track group but can't seem to find any information online. Does anyone know yet if any info has come out regarding the 2019 application process, or when about information has been released in previous years?

Also if anyone who has applied before and has been successful (or not!) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Shaftoes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by swisspaella)
I'm very interested in applying to join the 2019 fast track group but can't seem to find any information online. Does anyone know yet if any info has come out regarding the 2019 application process, or when about information has been released in previous years?

Also if anyone who has applied before and has been successful (or not!) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Hi!

I am a former fast track apprentice who graduated from the scheme this year.

Applications should be open in a couple of weeks (End of Feb)

As far as I know the application process is unchanged from last year, and all of the relevant info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-se...p-how-to-apply
MelTranfield
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi! Thanks for sharing this. I'm also pretty interested in applying, for either Policy or Digital. I can't find anything online either - do you know if it's likely to open soon? I saw this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...window-in-2019

They're currently reviewing the programme, it's not confirmed if it'll open this year.

(Original post by Shaftoes)
Hi!

I am a former fast track apprentice who graduated from the scheme this year.

Applications should be open in a couple of weeks (End of Feb)

As far as I know the application process is unchanged from last year, and all of the relevant info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-se...p-how-to-apply
Shaftoes
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MelTranfield)
Hi! Thanks for sharing this. I'm also pretty interested in applying, for either Policy or Digital. I can't find anything online either - do you know if it's likely to open soon? I saw this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...window-in-2019

They're currently reviewing the programme, it's not confirmed if it'll open this year.
Sadly they cancelled it completely this year. I only found out when I saw the press release
MelTranfield
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Aww, that's such a shame. I'm applying to other apprenticeships anyway, but this is a bit depressing. Do you happen to know why this might have happened? I'm guessing lack of resources and insufficient availability in departments.

Also, I'd love to hear more from you about your experience if that's okay! What area did you work in, and are you still working at the Civil Service?

Sadly they cancelled it completely this year. I only found out when I saw the press release
Shaftoes
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Aww, that's such a shame. I'm applying to other apprenticeships anyway, but this is a bit depressing. Do you happen to know why this might have happened? I'm guessing lack of resources and insufficient availability in departments.

Also, I'd love to hear more from you about your experience if that's okay! What area did you work in, and are you still working at the Civil Service?
The fast track apprenticeship is a bit of a weird programme. I think it was envisioned to be a bit of a baby version of the fast stream, but it never really got the resources it needed to live up to that expectation. Bits of it just didn't really work very well and there was no sense of community among fast track apprentices as opposed to fast streamers.

As far as I am aware they are doing a lengthy transformation programme to change the apprenticeship. I have no idea what this actually means though! Lots of departments are looking for people at EO grade, it's just a bit difficult having to do the daily business of working in government along with training people that come in with no skills.

Don't let my negativity put you off though! It's the best thing I ever did and it changed my life for the better. I worked for two years as a software developer on the digital apprenticeship and got into generalist on the fast stream this year. While I am waiting for the fast stream to start I am moving into a project delivery role for 6 months. I got this secondment via my mentor (networking is a good thing!)

There is a list of public sector apprenticeships on civil service jobs here:

https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/ways-to-join/

Click the apprenticeships link on that page and it should filter out all of the apprenticeships available at the moment.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions
Area88
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
While Fast Track scheme is suspended until 2020, there are still apprenticeships being offered by individual departments.
MelTranfield
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yep, thanks. I've checked a few out, but the main appeal of Fast Track to me was that it was clear the Civil Service themselves provided the training. There's a chance the training for the other apprenticeships on offer has been outsourced to providers that may be inadequate.
(Original post by Area88)
While Fast Track scheme is suspended until 2020, there are still apprenticeships being offered by individual departments.
Shaftoes
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The fast track apprenticeship is very much outsourced

QA is the learning provider and you go on courses on day / week release depending on your scheme.

Yep, thanks. I've checked a few out, but the main appeal of Fast Track to me was that it was clear the Civil Service themselves provided the training. There's a chance the training for the other apprenticeships on offer has been outsourced to providers that may be inadequate.
MelTranfield
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh, right. That's too bad. I left an apprenticeship with QA - currently doing one with Arch, digital marketing with MThree Consulting who also train graduates and place them in software developer roles with big banks (JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley etc).

The fast track apprenticeship is very much outsourced

QA is the learning provider and you go on courses on day / week release depending on your scheme.
ell-1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I know this is a little late to reply but the Fast Track apprenticeship is most definitely outsourced, and the providers aren’t great - as a Fast Track apprentice myself, I feel the reason it has been under review this year was because of all the issues that we have experienced with our learning provider.
Demibrittle97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi does anyone know of fast track will open next feb 2020?
Jayderb
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I successfully applied for the Ddat apprenticeship with the Home Office in November and I am currently going through the pre employment checks.When searching on the CS jobs website, I found the apprenticeship vacancy advertised as a job rather than an apprenticeship meaning it wouldn’t have appeared on the search filter for apprenticeships.I believe the home office had a number if other similar vacancies around the country so keep checking. Good luck
Jayderb
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The fast track apprenticeship is a bit of a weird programme. I think it was envisioned to be a bit of a baby version of the fast stream, but it never really got the resources it needed to live up to that expectation. Bits of it just didn't really work very well and there was no sense of community among fast track apprentices as opposed to fast streamers.

As far as I am aware they are doing a lengthy transformation programme to change the apprenticeship. I have no idea what this actually means though! Lots of departments are looking for people at EO grade, it's just a bit difficult having to do the daily business of working in government along with training people that come in with no skills.

Don't let my negativity put you off though! It's the best thing I ever did and it changed my life for the better. I worked for two years as a software developer on the digital apprenticeship and got into generalist on the fast stream this year. While I am waiting for the fast stream to start I am moving into a project delivery role for 6 months. I got this secondment via my mentor (networking is a good thing!)

There is a list of public sector apprenticeships on civil service jobs here:

https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/ways-to-join/

Click the apprenticeships link on that page and it should filter out all of the apprenticeships available at the moment.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions
Hi,

I might be starting my apprenticeship in a few months and I was wondering if I could pick your brains regarding career progression etc.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.06%
They've been reasonable (69)
40.59%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.88%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.47%

Watched Threads