Churchill thought Muslims were great and wanted to be one Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
'In his youth Churchill had considered converting to Islam. He had always admired the Muslim faith'

https://www.historytoday.com/hatred-hindus

Right wing islamaphobes, how do you like them apples?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
'In his youth Churchill had considered converting to Islam. He had always admired the Muslim faith'

I'm not a right wing Islamaphobe but feel that Churchill was probably just trying to appeal to more people

In a similar way that Hitler, in his early days, professed to be a Christian
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It was the Hindus and Irish Catholics he disliked.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Islam was exotic and cool in that period of Empire; when the Sub-Cont was the belle of the ball. Lord Headley and Archibald Hamilton were contemporaneous converts.
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What did he say later on?
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People often re-write history to conform with their beliefs. Its called confirmation bias. In this case they took a hero in British culture and lied about his history to make him appear as though he loved Islam, which was the opposite of his reality. Churchill was an openly racist, white supremacist. A man who loathed Muslims so much he refused to refer to them by the name by which they preferred to be called, instead choosing to call them by the name given to them by westerners, The Mohammadans.
Spoiler:
Show
As a soldier he didn't want to convert to Islam as the article claims but rather he hated Islam. In one of his speeches as a soldier he likened Islam in people to rabies in dogs

'How dreadful are the curses which Mohammadanism lays on its votaries, besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog.'

(Original post by gjd800)
It was the Hindus and Irish Catholics he disliked.
and 'blacks' and kurds.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01...erial-monster/
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Interesting 🙏
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

This post is the nail in the coffin of right-wingism and all of this nasty anti-Islam posting. Thank you based leftie
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i don't think he would say the same about the british muslims of today though

the muslims he were talking about were different
Ascend
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A right winger admires an ultraconservative ideology!?
Justvisited
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
A man who loathed Muslims so much he refused to refer to them by the name by which they preferred to be called, instead choosing to call them by the name given to them by westerners, The Mohammadans.
I can't speak to Churchill's attitude to Muslims or to racial questions. But the above statement is a non sequitur, because it's not a question of "loathing Muslims" so much as understanding why westerners, particularly Christian writers, customarily referred to these religionists as Mohammedans. I've written on this elsewhere on the forum, but to cut to the chase: at the time of the Danish cartoons row in 2006, one imam was quoted as saying that insulting Mohammed was worse than insulting Allah. Now if Mohammed is (by this measure) more important than Allah, not only does this completely justify the classic western moniker, but it also raises the question as to whether Islam isn't in fact another species of atheism. If anyone's interested I'll dig out the link to where I discuss this question.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
i don't think he would say the same about the british muslims of today though

the muslims he were talking about were different
Not all Muslims are like the friendly fella who serves you lottery tickets twice a week. Some are exactly as they were in the 7th century.
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Churchill was a pretty well known racist.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you sure?
This is what Churchill had to say on Islam in 1899 (when he was 25)...

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement, the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome."
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hitler, on the other hand, was a bit of a fan of Islam.

"The peoples of Islam will always be closer to us than, for example, France".

"Had Charles Martel not been victorious at Poitiers, then we should in all probability have been converted to Mohammedanism, that cult which glorifies the heroism and which opens up the seventh Heaven to the bold warrior alone. Then the Germanic races would have conquered the world.
You see, it's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. The Mohammedan religion would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?"

How do you like them apples?
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This ******** again? :rolleyes:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
How do you like them apples?
I'm trolling Islamophobic hitchens supporters as well as the right?
NetNeutrality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
A right winger admires an ultraconservative ideology!?
islam isnt an ideology its a religion
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm trolling Islamophobic hitchens supporters as well as the right?
umm.. he literally praised the success of the supposed British masterrace which underpinned the entire Empire??

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live."

Can't say I disagree with everything he said - he recognised the threat of radical Muslims even then
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
islam isnt an ideology its a religion
debatable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (97)
16.78%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.47%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.22%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
10.03%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
29.93%

Watched Threads