dylanspencer04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,

I applied for the MSc Finance at both Warwick and Imperial. I also applied for the MSc Mathematical Trading & Finance at CASS. After graduation, I would like to move into a sales role on the sales and trading floor at a top-tier investment bank. About 3 weeks after my applications, I received an offer from CASS. About 6 weeks after my application, I received an offer from Warwick, along with a large scholarship. I am still waiting to hear back from Imperial. The fees for Warwick are £10,000 more than CASS, but with the scholarship from Warwick, this is irrelevant.
I was wondering, as I am undecided in what to pick, what are your opinions on what would be the best course for moving into my desired area? And do you have any information as to why I should pick one over the other?

Cheers
MiM-Essay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing an MSc Finance will open up broader career options for you than going for a more niche course like Mathematical Trading and Finance. While all three schools are great, Warwick's program is better than the one at Cass, in terms of educational immersion in the courses as well as employment avenues. And when it comes to Imperial, its MSc Finance is a one-year, full-time programme with a proven track record in getting students the best jobs in the finance industry such as investment banking, asset management, and consultancy. The MSc Finance is ranked second in the world for securing a career in Investment Banking by eFinancialCareers 2016.

You should keep in mind the career trajectory change that you might want later in life, and doing an extremely specialized course with such a narrow scope for expansion might prove disadvantageous later. However, if you are sure that is what you want to do, you should definitely go ahead, since Cass Business School is a very good brand, and will definitely help you further your career. Hope this helps!
dylanspencer04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MiM-Essay)
Doing an MSc Finance will open up broader career options for you than going for a more niche course like Mathematical Trading and Finance. While all three schools are great, Warwick's program is better than the one at Cass, in terms of educational immersion in the courses as well as employment avenues. And when it comes to Imperial, its MSc Finance is a one-year, full-time programme with a proven track record in getting students the best jobs in the finance industry such as investment banking, asset management, and consultancy. The MSc Finance is ranked second in the world for securing a career in Investment Banking by eFinancialCareers 2016.

You should keep in mind the career trajectory change that you might want later in life, and doing an extremely specialized course with such a narrow scope for expansion might prove disadvantageous later. However, if you are sure that is what you want to do, you should definitely go ahead, since Cass Business School is a very good brand, and will definitely help you further your career. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply! I agree, that the MSc Finance will open up broader career options, however, I have heard that doing a quantitative finance degree such as mathematical trading and finance, as opposed to a general finance degree is more impressive to employers as it shows you have both the finance and the technical ability to succeed. I believe that the bigger banks would choose a Warwick graduate over a CASS graduate though. I think it is clear that Warwick is more prestigious than CASS, the only drawback is the fact that it is based outside of London.

Taking Imperial into account, it is a toss up really between Warwick and Imperial, as both are ranked similarly in terms of their finance degrees. I know that Imperial is known for its highly quantitative focus on the MSc Finance, which may be beneficial. However, the scholarship from Warwick holds a significant draw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads