Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
1. Head to the supermarket in the evening
But if you do, please don't be that person who hovers and fights for reduced items.

8. Shop around
This is one I actually largely disagree with, and there's a real limit to how much shopping around you can do reasonably. In many cases, shopping around simply means you're trading your time for a cheaper meal. Time is a far more valuable currency than money, so it doesn't make sense to go out of your way shopping around.

It's important to balance the savings element with how much time and effort it actually takes.

Personally I found the best solution was to have little variety and buy in bulk. Whenever I shopped, I'd buy the best value for money option since I was lucky enough to have fridge/freezer space. Eating similar meals each week and generally having things planned out makes it much easier to consistently hit a budget. I actually found that splitting shopping with others for anything besides essentials (milk, bread, etc.) was more of a pain than a help.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
But if you do, please don't be that person who hovers and fights for reduced items.

This is one I actually largely disagree with, and there's a real limit to how much shopping around you can do reasonably. In many cases, shopping around simply means you're trading your time for a cheaper meal. Time is a far more valuable currency than money, so it doesn't make sense to go out of your way shopping around.

It's important to balance the savings element with how much time and effort it actually takes.

Personally I found the best solution was to have little variety and buy in bulk. Whenever I shopped, I'd buy the best value for money option since I was lucky enough to have fridge/freezer space. Eating similar meals each week and generally having things planned out makes it much easier to consistently hit a budget. I actually found that splitting shopping with others for anything besides essentials (milk, bread, etc.) was more of a pain than a help.
Hey Acsel,

Thank you for your reply! Yes I hate it when everyone pushes and fights to get reduced food, so silly!!

Very good point that your time is very valuable, however if you are a student, especially in first year and you do have a lot of spare time then shopping around could be a good option as it give you something to do and to get out and you also get cheaper meals!

I find I don't have the freezer or fridge space as I share with three others. Which would you suggest would be better if you don't have the space for bulk buys like me?

Thanks,
Sophia
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Very good point that your time is very valuable, however if you are a student, especially in first year and you do have a lot of spare time then shopping around could be a good option as it give you something to do and to get out and you also get cheaper meals!

I find I don't have the freezer or fridge space as I share with three others. Which would you suggest would be better if you don't have the space for bulk buys like me?
Oh absolutely, it's totally down to the individual at that point. Some will have the time and/or desperately need to save the money, others will do it purely to save when they don't need to (which is when I think it's a waste of time).

I don't think there really is a good alternative if you don't have the space. You either have the space to buy in larger bulk or you don't. Obviously any food that doesn't have to be chilled can be stored in your room; one of my housemates purchased bulk packs of noodles (something like 36 packs in a box) and just kept them in his room.

In terms of making more fridge/freezer space, some stuff compacts down (packaging can be super bulky). Some people abuse the space, taking up more than their fair share. And for some things like butter or milk you might be able to share. But beyond that, if you don't have space there's not much you can do. That's where some of the other tips are more practical. You can't bulk buy and buy the discounted products at 6pm for example.

Worth noting, bulk buying isn't limited to food products. Buying larger washing up liquid, or toilet paper helps save money too.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its definitely worth using vouchers if you can.
Loyalty cards (such as tesco clubcard and sainsburys nectar card) can also help.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Find out what time they do reduce food at your local supermarket for the best bargains, but yes don't fight someone for it and make good use of your freezer and freezer bags. whenever i find reduced bagels or other breakfast items, i pre slice them then just defrost them in my toaster when i need them and they tend to last a month in the freezer.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Oh absolutely, it's totally down to the individual at that point. Some will have the time and/or desperately need to save the money, others will do it purely to save when they don't need to (which is when I think it's a waste of time).

I don't think there really is a good alternative if you don't have the space. You either have the space to buy in larger bulk or you don't. Obviously any food that doesn't have to be chilled can be stored in your room; one of my housemates purchased bulk packs of noodles (something like 36 packs in a box) and just kept them in his room.

In terms of making more fridge/freezer space, some stuff compacts down (packaging can be super bulky). Some people abuse the space, taking up more than their fair share. And for some things like butter or milk you might be able to share. But beyond that, if you don't have space there's not much you can do. That's where some of the other tips are more practical. You can't bulk buy and buy the discounted products at 6pm for example.

Worth noting, bulk buying isn't limited to food products. Buying larger washing up liquid, or toilet paper helps save money too.
Putting things in your room is a great idea! Didn't think of this so thanks!!
Yes non food products count as well! I do tend to share things like washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets with my roomies so this defo helps!!

Thanks,
Sophia
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Its definitely worth using vouchers if you can.
Loyalty cards (such as tesco clubcard and sainsburys nectar card) can also help.
Hey Emma,
Yes great point! I use Sainsburys nectar card and that has given me quite a bit off before!!
Sophia
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Find out what time they do reduce food at your local supermarket for the best bargains, but yes don't fight someone for it and make good use of your freezer and freezer bags. whenever i find reduced bagels or other breakfast items, i pre slice them then just defrost them in my toaster when i need them and they tend to last a month in the freezer.
Hey Claire,

How would you find out when they reduce their food? Yes great idea, I have done this a few times but forgot to pre-slice the bagel which made it a bit tricky when I wanted to eat it haha!
Sophia
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey Claire,

How would you find out when they reduce their food? Yes great idea, I have done this a few times but forgot to pre-slice the bagel which made it a bit tricky when I wanted to eat it haha!
Sophia
Just visiting at different times of the day then you ll get a feel for it, Asda do it at about 11 30am for most stuff
goggleyed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Go to the discount section in supermarkets and get most of your shopping from there. thats what i did all through uni
only if you're really uptight would you be put off by dates, most products can actually last a few more days beyond their best before date. i've always eaten food that have been up to two or three days out of date (including sandwiches) and never got ill once
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Another major thing that I think is missing: Take a shopping list.

It's very easy to overspend if you don't have a clear idea of what you're buying. Having a shopping list means you know exactly what you're after and it's far harder to deviate. That doesn't mean you can't buy things on the list, but it prevents you mindlessly going up and down every aisle to see if there was anything you wanted and getting sucked into the offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
15.6%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (7)
6.42%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (21)
19.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (18)
16.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (13)
11.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (33)
30.28%

Watched Threads