Any possibility at all of getting 4 more years of funding? Watch

bloomer36
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I think I already know the answer to this but long story short, I went to uni for a year then dropped out, so I used a year of funding. Is it possible at all to be funded 3 more years *as well as* a foundation year?

Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
Hi, I think I already know the answer to this but long story short, I went to uni for a year then dropped out, so I used a year of funding. Is it possible at all to be funded 3 more years *as well as* a foundation year?

Thanks
If you start a degree with a built in foundation year (ie you won’t change university after a year) then the funding calculation works like this:

length of new course (4 years) + gift year (1 year) - previous years of study (2 years) = 3 years of funding available.

What that means is that you wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan for the first year (in your case the foundation year) of any new course. You would still get a maintenance loan for every year.

You might want to see if the universities that you’re interested in offer any discounts or lower fees for foundation years or if there’s any extra support available from them for that year. If you can arrange to cover your fees for that first foundation year then the rest of your course would be fully funded.
bloomer36
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you start a degree with a built in foundation year (ie you won’t change university after a year) then the funding calculation works like this:

length of new course (4 years) + gift year (1 year) - previous years of study (2 years) = 3 years of funding available.

What that means is that you wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan for the first year (in your case the foundation year) of any new course. You would still get a maintenance loan for every year.

You might want to see if the universities that you’re interested in offer any discounts or lower fees for foundation years or if there’s any extra support available from them for that year. If you can arrange to cover your fees for that first foundation year then the rest of your course would be fully funded.
Thanks for your help!

But why did you put 2 years for previous years of study? I only studied for a year?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your help!

But why did you put 2 years for previous years of study? I only studied for a year?
Because I am a muppet and can’t read

you should be fully funded for the full length of any new course
bloomer36
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Because I am a muppet and can’t read

you should be fully funded for the full length of any new course
Hehe, no problem

This is with a foundation year, right? So foundation year + 3 years?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hehe, no problem

This is with a foundation year, right? So foundation year + 3 years?
If your course is 4 years then yep.

It would only be a problem if you wanted to swap universities after the foundation year
bloomer36
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If your course is 4 years then yep.

It would only be a problem if you wanted to swap universities after the foundation year
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.66%
The paper was reasonable (1076)
47.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (506)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (271)
11.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed