I am misrable at uni and I feel trapped Watch

Jungleseu1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
This is my situation. I am studying at Manchester University. I got in with below par A level grades-A,B,C and A in EPQ. Inditially studied history which was not right for me and I changed to geography which I enjoy more. My parents are paying for my course.

I am miserable at uni. I go to clubs and societies but my social life still remains non exsitent. I havnt really been able to make friends. My other issues is well...the university itself. The staff seem to not listen when you have a problem and I aj often told contradictory information. For example tranferring to geography took 3 months and during the entire process they assured me I could transfer quickly. Other examples include sorting assigments which somehow were lost in the system (no fault of my own). Took 3 weeks to sort out. We have had mice in our accomodation for 3 months and have constantly reported it and they have only just responded. I am generally not a person to complain but it sort of is ridiculous how incompetent the university staff are in dealing with issues. Some members of staff didnt even know who the programme director was when I asked!

I am in the right course but feel the university is letting me down in that I always seem to be in conflict with it-trying to sort issues out that should take a week at most. For example recently they messed up with fees. It was sorted after 2 weeks ( after my parents showed them proof they were paid). Then a week later they blocked access to my email and account as they said I hadnt paid the fees when my parents had. Took 2 days to sort out and one of the mettings involved me missing a lecture.

I suspect my grades wont be good enough to transfer to another university. Also because I switched course half way through it is unlikely many universities of a similar standard to manchester would accept me to do Geography. I have phoned them up to ask. (I am realistic. I check clearing grades and entry requirements).

My parents have put a lot of money in to send me to university. What should I do?
Last edited by Jungleseu1; 8 months ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jungleseu1)
This is my situation. I am studying at Manchester University. I got in with below par A level grades-A,B,C and A in EPQ. Inditially studied history which was not right for me and I changed to geography which I enjoy more. My parents are paying for my course.

I am miserable at uni. I go to clubs and societies but my social life still remains non exsitent. I havnt really been able to make friends. My other issues is well...the university itself. The staff seem to not listen when you have a problem and I aj often told contradictory information. For example tranferring to geography took 3 months and during the entire process they assured me I could transfer quickly. Other examples include sorting assigments which somehow were lost in the system (no fault of my own). Took 3 weeks to sort out. We have had mice in our accomodation for 3 months and have constantly reported it and they have only just responded. I am generally not a person to complain but it sort of is ridiculous how incompetent the university staff are in dealing with issues. Some members of staff didnt even know who the programme director was when I asked!

I am in the right course but feel the university is letting me down in that I always seem to be in conflict with it-trying to sort issues out that should take a week at most. For example recently they messed up with fees. It was sorted after 2 weeks ( after my parents showed them proof they were paid). Then a week later they blocked access to my email and account as they said I hadnt paid the fees when my parents had. Took 2 days to sort out and one of the mettings involved me missing a lecture.

I suspect my grades wont be good enough to transfer to another university. Also because I switched course half way through it is unlikely many universities of a similar standard to manchester would accept me to do Geography. I have phoned them up to ask. (I am realistic. I check clearing grades and entry requirements).

My parents have put a lot of money in to send me to university. What should I do?
Sorry you have had such a bad time at Manchester - one bad experience after another!

If I were you, I would be thinking about withdrawing from Manchester and reapplying through UCAS to join a different Uni to study Geography from Year 1 again. Think of this year as a learning exercise you had to go through, and if nothing else, it taught you that Geography is the right course for you and what to look for in a future Uni.

You have ABC (plus your EPQ) - with those grades you could still get into a good Uni. Realistically, the Uni may not be quite so prestigious as Manchester but as you have discovered, league tables aren't everything. You could be happier at a different Uni, and that is very important. It would work to your advantage that you already have your A level grades as Unis are often more lenient with those applicants and lots of Unis will still have vacancies for Geography right up until Clearing in August.

With regard to the funding, you would still qualify for a Student Loan if you started fresh on another 3 year course. I understand your worries about the money your parents have already invested into your education, but your happiness will be the most important thing to them and at the end of the day, it's only one extra year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads