Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by Slade786; 1 year ago
IMD16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Slade786)
Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:Maths - 7English Language - 6English Literature - 4Biology - 8Chemistry - 7Physics - 7Spanish - 6Religious education - 6Geography - 8Business studies - 6Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
What year are you in now
Slade786
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by IMD16)
What year are you in now
I’m in year 12
IMD16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in year 12
Well for year 12, I would recommend you do your a levels first before we can properly tell but the grades u have given are all quite good and are all passes. They will mainly look at maths, English and science which I can see are pretty good. But work hard for your a levels and see what grades you get then
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by IMD16)
Well for year 12, I would recommend you do your a levels first before we can properly tell but the grades u have given are all quite good and are all passes. They will mainly look at maths, English and science which I can see are pretty good. But work hard for your a levels and see what grades you get then
Ok thanks for the help.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
moved to medicine
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
moved to medicine
???
Dr. Doc Thor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on your UCAT and/or BMAT scores - apply tactically
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
???
your post was in the gcse forum but it was a query about medicine so i moved it to medicine. there's a good few medics that hang around this area so they'll be able to give you advice.
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
your post was in the gcse forum but it was a query about medicine so i moved it to medicine. there's a good few medics that hang around this area so they'll be able to give you advice.
Oh ok thanks for the help.
username4424226
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes you could get in with your GCSE's.

Just make sure to check the GCSE requirements of the medical schools that you are applying to!!
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got 50A*s at GCSE and 100A* at A Level - worried its not enough to get an interview for medicine
darkmed123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes!!! some uni's don't even look at gcses too much. Cardiff want 8A*, Birmingham the figure is at 10A*. Yet some unis don't care, e.g. Bristol and Liverpool. Apply strategically and you'll be ok! Good luck!
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkmed123)
yes!!! some uni's don't even look at gcses too much. Cardiff want 8A*, Birmingham the figure is at 10A*. Yet some unis don't care, e.g. Bristol and Liverpool. Apply strategically and you'll be ok! Good luck!
Thanks for the help
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 4
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Spanish - 6
Religious education - 6
Geography - 8
Business studies - 6
GCSE and A level minimum requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

But bare in mind for some med schools you will need far more than the minimum to be considered for interview. This will just let you know which ones may be a no-go based on your grades thus far. However, they are quite good enough for most medical schools
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
GCSE and A level minimum requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

But bare in mind for some med schools you will need far more than the minimum to be considered for interview. This will just let you know which ones may be a no-go based on your grades thus far. However, they are quite good enough for most medical schools
Do you have any recommendations for which med schools I should apply to?
anikaxox555
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
all i’d say is apply tactically!!! and don’t underestimate the leverage having an above ukcat gives you. ive got offers from both leicester and notts so far and they’re my top two and i couldn’t be more over the moon! getting into medicine is a check list which is irritating because they won’t truly get to know you until you get there i believe, you’ve got the GCSEs, now get the work experience, ukcat and the personal statement(they list qualities they want on their website) etc good luck! it’s been the most demanding process so far for me but now that i have offers all i’m doing is just revising for a levels!! also a little tip i’d give you is do your ukcat in summer as to not take up time of the school year in september !!!
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by anikaxox555)
all i’d say is apply tactically!!! and don’t underestimate the leverage having an above ukcat gives you. ive got offers from both leicester and notts so far and they’re my top two and i couldn’t be more over the moon! getting into medicine is a check list which is irritating because they won’t truly get to know you until you get there i believe, you’ve got the GCSEs, now get the work experience, ukcat and the personal statement(they list qualities they want on their website) etc good luck! it’s been the most demanding process so far for me but now that i have offers all i’m doing is just revising for a levels!! also a little tip i’d give you is do your ukcat in summer as to not take up time of the school year in september !!!
Thanks for the help and good luck with your a levels
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others above have stated, apply tactically. That is a very good set of GCSE results, but some universities do an initial sift of applicants based on a combination of GCSE scores and UCAT/BMAT results.

I would avoid the med schools that sift on GCSEs with 2A* 3A and 4B, but you would have a more competitive shout at the unis which score more holistically.

Have you been getting in voluntary/paid experience in healthcare settings? That's vital for you personal statement in the Autumn.

If you're doing AS exams this summer, the module marks can also be a useful indicator for the med schools. Do your UCAT/BMAT by August, and then you will know which are the best options come application day in October.

Best wishes.

Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to get into a med school with my GCSEs:
Maths - 7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 4
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Spanish - 6
Religious education - 6
Geography - 8
Business studies - 6
Slade786
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
As others above have stated, apply tactically. That is a very good set of GCSE results, but some universities do an initial sift of applicants based on a combination of GCSE scores and UCAT/BMAT results.

I would avoid the med schools that sift on GCSEs with 2A* 3A and 4B, but you would have a more competitive shout at the unis which score more holistically.

Have you been getting in voluntary/paid experience in healthcare settings? That's vital for you personal statement in the Autumn.

If you're doing AS exams this summer, the module marks can also be a useful indicator for the med schools. Do your UCAT/BMAT by August, and then you will know which are the best options come application day in October.

Best wishes.
I have currently started voluntary work at a care home and I am looking to do work experience in the summer. Also, I have done work experience in a pharmacy, but I am not sure if this is relevant anymore Adam I had done it in Year 10. Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads