Climate Change: the children are the future Watch

Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Nice to see the kids bunking off school for a good cause. I also look forward to them getting up early to walk to school rather than have their mums dropping them off in a 4x4 diesel guzzler.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
Nice to see the kids bunking off school for a good cause. I also look forward to them getting up early to walk to school rather than have their mums dropping them off in a 4x4 diesel guzzler.
You're not suggesting that they just wanted a day off, or afternoon at least, and most couldn't give a flying fook about climate change are you?
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
You're not suggesting that they just wanted a day off, or afternoon at least, and most couldn't give a flying fook about climate change are you?
Are you insinuating that I'm suggesting that the little snowflakes have no integrity? How very dare you.
Spannerin'moi
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
If you'd put it in that way...
But how long do you think would take the electric stations become a reality across continents?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Spannerin'moi; 4 weeks ago
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you insinuating that I'm suggesting that the little snowflakes have no integrity? How very dare you.
Moi? As if.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spannerin'moi)
If you'd put it in that way...
But how long do you think would take the electric stations become a reality across continents?
I assume you're talking about electric car charging stations. I don't know but the fastest charge at the moment is around 50% of the battery in 30 minutes. Home use chargers could take up to 8 hours. It doesn't sound very practical if you imagine everyone driving one. There would be some pretty long queues at charging stations.

But if I got fired for being late to work everyday due to sitting in charging queues, I could console myself knowing that I'd probably saved a bumble bee from certain death in the process. Always a bright side.
Last edited by Mister Fantastic; 4 weeks ago
Spannerin'moi
Report 4 weeks ago
I assume you're talking about electric car charging stations. I don't know but the fastest charge at the moment is around 50% of the battery in 30 minutes. Home use chargers could take up to 8 hours. It doesn't sound very practical if you imagine everyone driving one. There would be some pretty long queues at charging stations.

But if I got fired for being late to work everyday due to sitting in charging queues, I could console myself knowing that I'd probably saved a bumble bee from certain death in the process. Always a bright side.

I see...so I guess the future generation would be at stake either ways as we find certain methods impractical.

Ha! You'd save more than a bumble bee during the process...
Guess there should be a paradigm shift for a bright side to be initiated...
pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At least we’re doing something about it
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pinkbacon1437)
By skiving off school? That'll show Thatcher.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also which amounts to what exactly? Because unless a few thousand teenagers in the UK boycotting school on a sunny Friday afternoon makes the likes of India and China stop pumping out emissions on an industrial scale then I'm afraid that your raging against the machine is all for nowt.
Zasty
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I posted this elswhere but it's still relevant and i want everyone on tsr to understand this.

Context: I'm 16 and could be described as a skeptic.

I'm not going to preface "how much i care about climate change" because it's kinda irrelevant here.
I find it difficult to understand how skipping school is a direct protest to the government's inaction on climate change.

I'm all for protesting, however,
Activism fundamentally fails if your entire group is seen as tards before the strike begins.

This was shown in the old people tweeting about how skipping school just adds extra workloads on teachers and hinders the children's education.
Although it took place on a Friday, before half term which is known for being a useless period for students, this still functions as a near flawless criticism
because it allows old people to invalidate the protest regardless of the intended nature of the protest.

1. Teachers are not the direct cause of climate change so making their job harder just harms them and so gives students +1 negative point.

2. Students are known for making garbage excuses for skipping school so when the entire power of the protest revolves around that one point it's really easy to dismiss the march as just a "bunch of kids looking for a reason to skip school"

3. There is absolutely zero correlation between attending school and climate change. So the intent of the protest can be interpreted as an indirect protest on "going to school" rather than a protest on climate change

4. This is a weaker point but many protesters saw the protest as an opportunity to protest against Theresa May's lack of interaction with young people. This is fine, but when your protest has too many causes, it's difficult to determine which ones are sincere and which ones are more important for the government to take action on.

5. I know guys who went just because it looked like a "fun motive for a Friday afternoon" lol

Protests work better if it's difficult to criticize the group which is protesting.

Look at MLK's Selma march for an extreme comparison, it's difficult to criticize a bunch of black people walking on a bridge, but it is easy to criticize a bunch of students, skipping school and shouting "oi oi, fucc Theresa, do something about climate change".

I feel like the message would have been much more successful if we did it on the half-term. This is because we could back it up by saying "I sacrificed my holiday to protest." Which regardless of whether it's true it would be an unbeatable point that the government couldn't rebuke.

I'm not saying the protest is wrong, but the organization was disgraceful and Greta Thunberg is not qualified to have the role as an activist to represent young people for as long as she can't understand these simple rules of activism.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zasty)
I posted this elswhere but it's still relevant and i want everyone on tsr to understand this.

Context: I'm 16 and could be described as a skeptic.

I'm not going to preface "how much i care about climate change" because it's kinda irrelevant here.
I find it difficult to understand how skipping school is a direct protest to the government's inaction on climate change.

I'm all for protesting, however,
Activism fundamentally fails if your entire group is seen as tards before the strike begins.

This was shown in the old people tweeting about how skipping school just adds extra workloads on teachers and hinders the children's education.
Although it took place on a Friday, before half term which is known for being a useless period for students, this still functions as a near flawless criticism
because it allows old people to invalidate the protest regardless of the intended nature of the protest.

1. Teachers are not the direct cause of climate change so making their job harder just harms them and so gives students +1 negative point.

2. Students are known for making garbage excuses for skipping school so when the entire power of the protest revolves around that one point it's really easy to dismiss the march as just a "bunch of kids looking for a reason to skip school"

3. There is absolutely zero correlation between attending school and climate change. So the intent of the protest can be interpreted as an indirect protest on "going to school" rather than a protest on climate change

4. This is a weaker point but many protesters saw the protest as an opportunity to protest against Theresa May's lack of interaction with young people. This is fine, but when your protest has too many causes, it's difficult to determine which ones are sincere and which ones are more important for the government to take action on.

5. I know guys who went just because it looked like a "fun motive for a Friday afternoon" lol

Protests work better if it's difficult to criticize the group which is protesting.

Look at MLK's Selma march for an extreme comparison, it's difficult to criticize a bunch of black people walking on a bridge, but it is easy to criticize a bunch of students, skipping school and shouting "oi oi, fucc Theresa, do something about climate change".

I feel like the message would have been much more successful if we did it on the half-term. This is because we could back it up by saying "I sacrificed my holiday to protest." Which regardless of whether it's true it would be an unbeatable point that the government couldn't rebuke.

I'm not saying the protest is wrong, but the organization was disgraceful and Greta Thunberg is not qualified to have the role as an activist to represent young people for as long as she can't understand these simple rules of activism.
Also if you happen to be Chinese and living in China, or indian and living in indIa, or Brazilian and living in Brazil well you get my point, then what we do here is totally irrelevant.
The fact of the matter is that the powers that be don't listen to the masses, as is being proven by parliament over brexit and indeed the EU with their blanket ignorance of what the general populace thinks.
It's a lesson you will learn in time.
pinkbacon1437
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
By skiving off school? That'll show Thatcher.
No, by making our voices heard.
pinkbacon1437
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also which amounts to what exactly? Because unless a few thousand teenagers in the UK boycotting school on a sunny Friday afternoon makes the likes of India and China stop pumping out emissions on an industrial scale then I'm afraid that your raging against the machine is all for nowt.
Maybe if you read the news you’d see that we’re doing this all over the UK and other countries as well... I was told that if I got arrested it would mess up my future, but we’re doing this to that we HAVE a future.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What?

We have closed industry down in the UK moved it to China, same pollution is happening.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe if you read the news you’d see that we’re doing this all over the UK and other countries as well... I was told that if I got arrested it would mess up my future, but we’re doing this to that we HAVE a future.
I do read the news and my understanding is that you are doing what amounts to absolutely nothing in meaningful terms.

Please explain what you are actually doing and how it is going to have a positive result.
pinkbacon1437
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I do read the news and my understanding is that you are doing what amounts to absolutely nothing in meaningful terms.

Please explain what you are actually doing and how it is going to have a positive result.
Forget it. I doubt you would understand anyway x
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Forget it. I doubt you would understand anyway x
Because you cannot find the vocabulary to express yourself? You can't be out your depth already?

I think I'll be fine to stay right up there with you, can take you're time and explain as simple or complexed as you like. X
PureHeroine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
how many threads do we need on this issue fgs? it's also ironic that you label kids as snowflakes when you're whining on a forum site....

(Original post by Zasty)
agreeing with all of your points i don't think it's fair on schools especially because there's going to be a global protest on march 15th so this won't be a one off. and i don't agree with the young saying **** the government either. however the purpose of the protest on a school day is to intentionally cause disruption and havoc to get the message across. it won't be as effective during the half term. less strain on schools, sure. but the outrage means it got attention that i don't believe it would've received otherwise.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no outrage, people generally don't care. All its done is make students look quite silly in the eyes of the GP, what do you expect the governments to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads