How does difficulty change between A level maths/further maths and university maths

Watch
Jetnjet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
After GCSE when I started maths/FM it didn’t really feel much different in difficulty and I am very close to my final exams and feel about the same as if I was 16 about to take my GCSE (obviously A level is harder than GCSE but relative to my new “smarts” it’s about the same. Well further maths feels different at least)
So I’m just wondering whether going from A level maths/FM to uni is a step or a drop and how deep is it.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jetnjet)
After GCSE when I started maths/FM it didn’t really feel much different in difficulty and I am very close to my final exams and feel about the same as if I was 16 about to take my GCSE (obviously A level is harder than GCSE but relative to my new “smarts” it’s about the same. Well further maths feels different at least)
So I’m just wondering whether going from A level maths/FM to uni is a step or a drop and how deep is it.
It depends somewhat on the university to be honest. Analysis is the real litmus test for the difference in how uni maths is different, and some universities consequently postpone proper analysis until the second year. Have you been reading around uni-related material?
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jetnjet)
My son is currently at Uni doing his 2nd year Maths. Like you he also did Further Maths A level and was very glad he did. The first semester in year 1 was basically going over Further Maths for those who hadn't taken it. The second semester he says was not harder but just different i.e. stuff he had never encountered before. He enjoyed it though, except for statistics, and is enjoying his 2nd year although it is harder and more work than the 1st year. It makes a big difference that he was able to choose most of his modules.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An engineering undergrad at Imperial told me that the maths he uses is much more conceptual than at A-Level, which is what most of his peers had struggled with when starting the uni course, even though almost all of them had A*s in A-Level Maths and most also in Further Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
61.18%
No (33)
38.82%

Watched Threads