23 and unemploymed graduate: (( Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I graduated in july 2018 with a 2:1 in history. I am unemployed. Literally every single job I apply for i get rejected. It has been so many months now I feel so useless and hopeless. All that studying for me was a waste of time and government money. I am very depressed being unemployed. I don't know what it is, I just want an employer to give me a chance to build on my experience. And yes I have good experience.
I am willing to do any job be it office admin, warehouse operative work or anything. I am so upset, I don't want it to be a year where I am unemployed. I have gone to the job center to help me, all they give is universal credit. Please do not judge me, I don't know it so hard, I get loads of interviews but after that it's I'm unsuccessful. : (((((( can anyone give me some good advice what I can do with my life
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I graduated in july 2018 with a 2:1 in history. I am unemployed. Literally every single job I apply for i get rejected. It has been so many months now I feel so useless and hopeless. All that studying for me was a waste of time and government money. I am very depressed being unemployed. I don't know what it is, I just want an employer to give me a chance to build on my experience. And yes I have good experience.
I am willing to do any job be it office admin, warehouse operative work or anything. I am so upset, I don't want it to be a year where I am unemployed. I have gone to the job center to help me, all they give is universal credit. Please do not judge me, I don't know it so hard, I get loads of interviews but after that it's I'm unsuccessful. : (((((( can anyone give me some good advice what I can do with my life
Have you made it to the interview stages before being rejected? If not, then you need to improve your CV and cover letter.
Remember, you have to tailor these to each job you're applying to; don't just give the same generic CV and cover letter to for every role you're applying to.
hello_shawn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What have you been doing during your degree? Any friends that could recommend certain places to look? Any interests other than your degree? If you had had a job earlier (relevant to the position you're applying to) you would have been able to prove that you applied some sort of skill, but if you didn't, all you have is "potential". The companies that pay a living wage want competence and they're unlikely to get it from someone with no work experience...
Last edited by hello_shawn; 4 weeks ago
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where do you live and where are you looking for work?
Bazyli
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What university did you go to and did you do any work experience during university?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
am in a similar boat
my advice which has helped me is this
- pick up a few books off amazon on how to write a cover letter and CV and how to act in an interview. i read 4 or 5. learned alot and applied it and seen alot of positive results from it
- dont bother with rock bottom jobs u didnt do a degree to do that. besides u dont stand a chance in the world man. think this admin job esp with agency its the most entry level job going gonna be a shed load of applicants and agencies are gonna pick the best person i.e. the person with 15 years experience not the grad with potential. and with warehouse its gonna be experience and the most physically fit
- volunteer to get out the house and gain experinence
- look into doing a working holiday abroad
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
op do you have hustle?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Stop the self pitying, your degree in history is worth nothing and makes you overqualified. You are just another graduate so swallow your pride.

Do what I did and start getting JSA and saving that up. Look for care jobs or low skill jobs 9-5pm.

Failing that offer to become a cleaner/babysitter/ rent out any space you may have/ thing of something you an sell.
TheJohnM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You studied the past and we are currently in the present.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
KainsBanes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're being quite hard on yourself. If you're getting interviews and not getting any further, you need to utilise the employment/careers advice at your uni; book yourself some appointments to work on your CV and do some practice interviews.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
In a similar boat, except i have a 1st in biochemistry and havent had a single face to face interview

Havent been applying enough but nobody wants to even give me a chance. Even get rejected from retail jobs when i know for a fact that i would be just as competent as anyone else
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Infinite Series)
Have you made it to the interview stages before being rejected? If not, then you need to improve your CV and cover letter.
Remember, you have to tailor these to each job you're applying to; don't just give the same generic CV and cover letter to for every role you're applying to.
Yes i am thinking of getting my cv professionally written and cover letter. I have different cvs for different roles and yes I do tailor my job applications. I have signed onto an accountancy jobs training course, where they help you and train you everytihng with a firm. I have also been accepted to do an ACCA accredited qualification from a uni. But, I really don't want to go back and start taking out student loans. Apart from that, I get so many interviews but they just say we had so many candidates """.. u have been unsuccessful at this stage"".. interview technique yes is something I have prepared and learning to improve
Anonymous #1
Stop the self pitying, your degree in history is worth nothing and makes you overqualified. You are just another graduate so swallow your pride.

Do what I did and start getting JSA and saving that up. Look for care jobs or low skill jobs 9-5pm.

Failing that offer to become a cleaner/babysitter/ rent out any space you may have/ thing of something you an sell.
I do not have self pity. Yes i do go to the job centre and with the universal credit, you have that same one coach. You go every week abd have to prove 35 hours of job search activity. I don't even get low skilled jobs, some agencies too they mess you around. They call you and say there are no jobs, when there are jobs
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hello_shawn)
What have you been doing during your degree? Any friends that could recommend certain places to look? Any interests other than your degree? If you had had a job earlier (relevant to the position you're applying to) you would have been able to prove that you applied some sort of skill, but if you didn't, all you have is "potential". The companies that pay a living wage want competence and they're unlikely to get it from someone with no work experience...
Yes i have done loads of volunteering actually and 2/3 internships. They were in account management/ business development/marketing etc. I have tried everywhere, newspapers, online job searching sites, individual employer sites, every recruitment agency. Before uni I have had jobs like in a warehouse and resturant, but know I can't seem to have any luck. : ((
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ajj2000)
Where do you live and where are you looking for work?
I live in Bedfordshire so around that area. Or nearby areas, even london I can commute to if it's a worthwhile job that pays a lot cos commuting is expensive unless I have a professional job
Anonymous #1
In a similar boat, except i have a 1st in biochemistry and havent had a single face to face interview

Havent been applying enough but nobody wants to even give me a chance. Even get rejected from retail jobs when i know for a fact that i would be just as competent as anyone else
Exsclty!! Nice to see that someone understands. People seem to judge and think unemployed people just be sitting on their a*** all day. Noo, I have tried for months since graduation and now I feel at this stage I'm depressed already. I had enough, I just want any job-but even jobs like retail or anything even warehouse they won't give me a chance(
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TheJohnM)
You studied the past and we are currently in the present.
Yes very funney that is what history is
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KainsBanes)
You're being quite hard on yourself. If you're getting interviews and not getting any further, you need to utilise the employment/careers advice at your uni; book yourself some appointments to work on your CV and do some practice interviews.
I feel so ashamed you know. I am doing my best with my cvs, cover letters and interview techniques. They seem to ask the same questions in every interview but worded differently.
Anonymous #1
am in a similar boat
my advice which has helped me is this
- pick up a few books off amazon on how to write a cover letter and CV and how to act in an interview. i read 4 or 5. learned alot and applied it and seen alot of positive results from it
- dont bother with rock bottom jobs u didnt do a degree to do that. besides u dont stand a chance in the world man. think this admin job esp with agency its the most entry level job going gonna be a shed load of applicants and agencies are gonna pick the best person i.e. the person with 15 years experience not the grad with potential. and with warehouse its gonna be experience and the most physically fit
- volunteer to get out the house and gain experinence
- look into doing a working holiday abroad
Yes it is hard and depressing. Being unemployed also means money problems. I think you are right about the agencies and they give the job to the person they like most and feel is better. I'm done with volunteering I have volunteered loads before I'm sorry :/
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes i am thinking of getting my cv professionally written and cover letter. I have different cvs for different roles and yes I do tailor my job applications. I have signed onto an accountancy jobs training course, where they help you and train you everytihng with a firm. I have also been accepted to do an ACCA accredited qualification from a uni. But, I really don't want to go back and start taking out student loans. Apart from that, I get so many interviews but they just say we had so many candidates """.. u have been unsuccessful at this stage"".. interview technique yes is something I have prepared and learning to improve
It's a waste of money to get a CV and cover letter professionally written. You can find many great CV examples online, and use those for inspiration to improve your own
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads