Psychology, Biology or Computer Science degree? Watch

Qwertyiop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello all, I am having a bit of trouble deciding what course I want to do at university and I'd really appreciate any input at all. Really sorry, this is gonna be a real long one!

I'm currently in year 13 finishing up my A levels (biology, psychology and art) for which I'm getting good grades. I'm really enjoying psychology at the moment and I'd love to take it further but I'm worried about the job prospects. I'm hoping to go into clinical psychology because I've always had an interest in mental health and want to help people but I've heard it's very competitive. I'm willing to study for a long time to get a phD and try to get as much work experience as I can but I'm still worried about finding work because I know psychology is an extremely popular subject at the moment and so many people want to go into clinical too. I'm also thinking - what if I get 4 years down the line and change my mind about wanting to work in mental health? It's a big commitment.

I've always enjoyed biology but I definitely don't want to go to medical school. I've had a look at a few biological sciences courses and they seem really interesting. I've heard it might be easier to get a job with biology (but that is from the course leaders so obviously they'll say that :P ) but I know from studying it at A level that it's NOT easy. Also, because I haven't taken maths at A level I'll probably need to do a foundation year.

I took computer science at GCSE and got an A but our teacher was absolute crap so I didn’t learn much. I had to teach myself how to code with python on the internet (she also only taught us 2 subjects for the written exam but that's another story) but I still remember finding the coding part really fun and it was super satisfying when it worked. I basically don't remember anything anymore though and I know only half the work is coding and the rest is theory which is the stuff I didn’t get taught. Game or web design is always something I've wanted to try - perhaps my art could help me out here?

I have a gap year to sleep on this so I don’t need to decide until next year. I'm not fussy, all I want is a degree that I think I’ll enjoy with good job prospects so I can get a job I don’t hate going to and earn enough money to have my own place, car, a cat, maybe the occasional holiday…

TD;LR: I like psychology but I’m worried about job prospects so I’m also considering biology or computer science. Thanks so much for reading - literally any opinions would be good =)
batter mix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi. My advice would be to pursue the subject you enjoy the most.
Since all three fields have decent job prospects, you will find competition everywhere. So at the end of the day, what matters is how you perform and that is directly correlated with your interest and aptitude. Given your interest, I would say go for clinical psychology/psychiatry.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Psychology gets a bit of a hard time with regard to career prospects (especially on TSR) but really, it's no different to any other non vocational degree such as English, History, Languages - even something like straight Biology does not present that many immediate career options (and you don't even enjoy it).

Whilst it is undoubtedly true that Clinical Psychology is very competitive, there are many other options with a Psychology degree if you changed your mind about wanting to work in mental health. There are the other branches of Psychology like Educational or Occupational, which is a growing area apparently. It is also an excellent preparation for many careers working with people, such as Human Resource Management, Careers Adviser, Marketing or Advertising. You could study a vocational postgraduate course (in something like Law) or you could apply to any of the many graduate schemes that don't require any particular degree subject. So in short, I don't think that doing a Psychology degree is committing you to Clinical Psychology, that is just one option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.04%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.13%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.74%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (28)
12.17%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30%

Watched Threads