The Student Room Group

Failed driving test twice - tips/advice

Hello,

Yesterday, I took my second driving test and unfortunately failed again. I’ve been learning to drive for probably almost a year now and I feel confident in my abilities, but I seem to just be getting really unlucky on the day.

The first test (just over two weeks ago) went really well actually. I had a good test route and a nice examiner. However, towards the end of the test I encountered a really nasty junction. I was making a right turn and both the green light and arrow were visible so I moved forward and waited for my gap. The gap came but the light changed to red so I stopped and waited. This was a fail.

Second test yesterday wasn’t nice. I got the hardest test route with a total of eight roundabouts and a grim examiner. My driving instructor and I hadn’t practiced this route in months, so when we started the test I didn’t feel too confident. Once again the lights at a junction got me. I was heading right at a junction and the lights were on green. However, the green arrow wasn’t visable so i thought if it’s not on don’t go. This was a fail.

So that’s it, I’ve failed twice now and to be honest I feel a bit hard done by. I feel like I’m a reasonably good driver but I just keep getting unlucky. It’s starting to be a little bit draining now because the whole driving test experience isn’t nice and I just want to move on from this and focus on my career. I’m 19. Any tips or advice?
Well book another test for a start? :P

Remember none of this is really down to luck on the day, it's just conditions on the roads in general, Try and not think of it in terms of routes, just take it one instruction at a time, otherwise you're setting yourself up for stress when they take you a way you didn't expect.

The first one sounds simple enough, you've pulled out into the junction as it was green and waited for a right turn gap, even when the lights change you still need to clear the junction asap as you've already committed to the turn by pulling out (depending how you look at it, you're already PAST the red light)

Not so sure about the second one, WAS there a green arrow light?
Best advice I could give you on this is to book another test and keep going until you get it, its that simple.
Reply 3
Quick explanation of the lights (not intended to be condescending in any way) - if you've moved forward on a green light and passed the line, that's it, even if you have to wait until the lights go red, you can go as you've passed the light.

If there is a green light, and an arrow, if just the arrow is on, only people turning can go. If only the round green light, or the both, are on you can go any direction allowed at the junction.

In the way of general tips, try not to think of the routes as things you practice - I get that it happens, but it shouldn't be relied upon. A better approach is to practice a series of different types of road scenarios l, different roundabouts, junctions etc. That way, you can plan what you will do as you do it, which is what you will do once you pass - you're not going to practice every route you do in future with an instructor.

Lastly good luck for the next one - third time lucky right! :smile:
Original post by Mart909
Hello,

Yesterday, I took my second driving test and unfortunately failed again. I’ve been learning to drive for probably almost a year now and I feel confident in my abilities, but I seem to just be getting really unlucky on the day.

The first test (just over two weeks ago) went really well actually. I had a good test route and a nice examiner. However, towards the end of the test I encountered a really nasty junction. I was making a right turn and both the green light and arrow were visible so I moved forward and waited for my gap. The gap came but the light changed to red so I stopped and waited. This was a fail.

Second test yesterday wasn’t nice. I got the hardest test route with a total of eight roundabouts and a grim examiner. My driving instructor and I hadn’t practiced this route in months, so when we started the test I didn’t feel too confident. Once again the lights at a junction got me. I was heading right at a junction and the lights were on green. However, the green arrow wasn’t visable so i thought if it’s not on don’t go. This was a fail.

So that’s it, I’ve failed twice now and to be honest I feel a bit hard done by. I feel like I’m a reasonably good driver but I just keep getting unlucky. It’s starting to be a little bit draining now because the whole driving test experience isn’t nice and I just want to move on from this and focus on my career. I’m 19. Any tips or advice?

One thing I learned from all my fails is to expect the unexpected. Every time I was on a “different” route on my exam, I was dying inside. But look at it this way. We learn to drive on possible test routes and the purpose of the exam is to see if you can drive safely anywhere. Unfortunately due to massive stress on my exams, I wasn’t doing so well and failed a few times. What I can tell you is that I NEVER had the same route twice, so you have to be ready to drive on a “new” road on your exam and of course once you pass. ALWAYS look ahead at signs, road markings and of course ... mirrors. I failed twice on roundabouts, so I practised a little more and never made that mistake again. Book your next exam, practise junctions and don’t let it drain you out too much. x As hard it is now, it will get better! We’ve all been through it, but you just gotta push yourself a little longer!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bubblylibra
One thing I learned from all my fails is to expect the unexpected. Every time I was on a “different” route on my exam, I was dying inside. But look at it this way. We learn to drive on possible test routes and the purpose of the exam is to see if you can drive safely anywhere. Unfortunately due to massive stress on my exams, I wasn’t doing so well and failed a few times. What I can tell you is that I NEVER had the same route twice, so you have to be ready to drive on a “new” road on your exam and of course once you pass. ALWAYS look ahead at signs, road markings and of course ... mirrors. I failed twice on roundabouts, so I practised a little more and never made that mistake again. Book your next exam, practise junctions and don’t let it drain you out too much. x As hard it is now, it will get better! We’ve all been through it, but you just gotta push yourself a little longer!

Thank you :smile: I’ll hopefully get it next time and more practice should do it. Just feel a tad unlucky which is the most annoying part.
Reply 6
Original post by Throor
Quick explanation of the lights (not intended to be condescending in any way) - if you've moved forward on a green light and passed the line, that's it, even if you have to wait until the lights go red, you can go as you've passed the light.

If there is a green light, and an arrow, if just the arrow is on, only people turning can go. If only the round green light, or the both, are on you can go any direction allowed at the junction.

In the way of general tips, try not to think of the routes as things you practice - I get that it happens, but it shouldn't be relied upon. A better approach is to practice a series of different types of road scenarios l, different roundabouts, junctions etc. That way, you can plan what you will do as you do it, which is what you will do once you pass - you're not going to practice every route you do in future with an instructor.

Lastly good luck for the next one - third time lucky right! :smile:

Thank you :smile: and yes third time lucky hopefully. It’s just annoying that if the light had stayed on green a second longer I would’ve passed first time :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Gingertraveller
Best advice I could give you on this is to book another test and keep going until you get it, its that simple.

Yes, I’ll do it ASAP
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
Well book another test for a start? :P

Remember none of this is really down to luck on the day, it's just conditions on the roads in general, Try and not think of it in terms of routes, just take it one instruction at a time, otherwise you're setting yourself up for stress when they take you a way you didn't expect.

The first one sounds simple enough, you've pulled out into the junction as it was green and waited for a right turn gap, even when the lights change you still need to clear the junction asap as you've already committed to the turn by pulling out (depending how you look at it, you're already PAST the red light)

Not so sure about the second one, WAS there a green arrow light?

Yes the green arrow just went off as it was only showing for a few seconds. I missed it and presumed I had to stop. Hopefully third time lucky.
Original post by Mart909
Thank you :smile: I’ll hopefully get it next time and more practice should do it. Just feel a tad unlucky which is the most annoying part.

You’re going to be fine x If I passed in one of the worst centres in the UK, anyone can pass trust me haha
Maybe brush up on some of your theory? Both of those are things you should know, although I get that it's so easy to second guess yourself on the day with the pressure! But it's not so much unlucky as you just messed up on normal road things. Maybe think why you did that and how you can avoid it next time? I'd say revise your knowledge of what to do and that may help you feel more confident to stick to your guns, but maybe you think something else would be better?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending