Could anyone recommend be some books to read?

Watch
__itertools__
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
To her son these words conveyed an extraordinary joy, as if it were settled, the expedition were bound to take place, and the wonder to which he had looked forward, for years and years it seemed, was, after a night's darkness and a day's sail, within touch. Since he belonged, even at the age of six, to that great clan which cannot keep this feeling separate from that, but must let future prospects, with their joys and sorrows, cloud what is actually at hand, since to such people even in earliest childhood any turn in the wheel of sensation has the power to crystallise and transfix the moment upon which its gloom or radiance rests, James Ramsay, sitting on the floor cutting out pictures from the illustrated catalogue of the Army and Navy stores, endowed the picture of a refrigerator, as his mother spoke, with heavenly bliss.
- To the lighthouse, Virginia Woolf

Hi, I was reading this book 'To the Lighthouse' and the elevated language she has used completely mesmerised me. Could someone recommend be some similar books?

I do care about the plot and story, but the sheer language in that book is very far from commonplace without using thy and thou or begineth and dismisseth.

Another one I really liked was 'More Fool Me' by Stephen Fry although it is not a novel, but a biography. Sample:
Even though I don’t read newspapers or receive violent abuse in the street, I know well enough that there are many members of the British public, and I daresay the publics of other countries, who think me smug, attention-seeking, false, complacent, self-regarding, pseudo-intellectual and unbearably irritating: diabolical. I can quite see why they would. There are others who embarrass me charmingly by their wild enthusiasm; they shower me with praise and attribute qualities to me that seem almost to verge on the divine.
I don't mind, say, Oscar Wilde's 'I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.' but I was looking for something more.

Feel free to recommend as many as you can.
Thank You!
arianeclementine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Book Thief is a lovely book, very poetic though the language used is pretty simple, if that’s a dealbreaker.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Now then lad by mike pannett
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads