UCAS Watch

MH2418
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m currently finalising my decisions for Uni, and I wondered if I put my unconditional offer as my insurance choice ( 2nd choice) and I put my conditional offer as my firm choice ( 1st choice) and I then meet the correct grades for my firm choice, does it mean I automatically have to go to my 1st choice or once I’ve got my results can I then either accept or decline first choice and go for second choice or visa versa ?? If that makes sense 😂💁*♀️
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
When you make a university your firm choice you're pretty much signing a ''contract'' with them saying you'll definitely come if you get the grades. You won't be able to accept/decline your firm but it is possible to phone them up once you've got your results and ask them to release you so you can go to your insurance/go through clearing. This is a bit risky though as universities are extremely busy over the results period and you could end up being released and then find out that your insurance is full.
Historynerd101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is your unconditional offer only unconditional if you put it as your firm choice?

If you meet the conditions of your firm choice, you have to go there (you've agreed to contractually on UCAS). If you meet the conditions of your insurance choice, but not your firm choice then you have to go to your insurance choice.

However, you could phone up your firm/insurance choice on results day (whichever you get into) and get them to release you into clearing if you want to go somewhere else.

If you get the grades for your first choice on results day then you go there and your insurance choice would have likely given your spot away to someone else.
MH2418
Rep:
?
my unconditional is unconditional no matter what ( doesn’t matter if I put it as my 1st or 2nd choice )
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your firm choice needs to be the university that you MOST want to go to (regardless of what the conditions or not of the offer are).

You don’t get to swap on results day. Even if you miss your firm offer conditions it’s very common for universities to accept applicants with lower grades.

It is possible to swap firm and insurance choices with the agreement of all universities up until July - but if you are struggling to decide then use the time you have now. Visit again, talk to staff and students, write down pros and cons lists, make a decision and then sit on that decision for a month.

You shouldn’t be picking a firm choice on Track until April at the earliest. There’s no advantage to making your choices official early.
Sophie.cerys
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MH2418)
I’m currently finalising my decisions for Uni, and I wondered if I put my unconditional offer as my insurance choice ( 2nd choice) and I put my conditional offer as my firm choice ( 1st choice) and I then meet the correct grades for my firm choice, does it mean I automatically have to go to my 1st choice or once I’ve got my results can I then either accept or decline first choice and go for second choice or visa versa ?? If that makes sense 😂💁*♀️
As far as I know, if you get the grades for your first choice you have to go there. You can only go to your insurance if you don’t get the grades for your firm. Also be careful with putting an unconditional as your insurance, often it’s not unconditional unless it’s your firm choice!👍🏼
MH2418
Rep:
?
And in terms of accommodation, can I only decide my accommodation once accepting my place
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
And in terms of accommodation, can I only decide my accommodation once accepting my place
Every university allocates accommodation differently. Most don’t allocate anything until after results day when they know who is coming. You need to look at your universities to find out if you can apply for accommodation as an insurance student.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
At some Unis (Birmingham, for example) you can apply for accomodation once your offer changes to Unconditional Firm. You get allocated before results day, which obviously means that you are more likely to get your first choice of accomodation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (22)
25.29%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (25)
28.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (19)
21.84%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (7)
8.05%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (14)
16.09%

Watched Threads