Why did you choose Bath? Watch

ns2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am an international student in the process of firming or insuring my choices for business management. I would like to know if there are people out there who chose Bath over other 'prestigious' universities, and why
University of Bath
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,
I was in a similar predicament when I was choosing my firm & insurance choices. I was dead set on Bath but was unsure if it'd be better to choose a more "prestigious", higher ranking uni as my firm. Now looking back on it, I definitely think I made the right choice.

While you should definitely consider ranking & league tables when applying to universities, you shouldn't make this the deciding factor. While a university may be presitigous and highly ranked overall, it may be low ranked for other important factors. Many of the more prestigious universities have low student satisfaction, which is often overlooked by students. The student satisfaction at Bath is one of the highest in the UK, so I'd definitely suggest taking this into account as your happiness whilst studying is going to be incredibly important - there's no point spending 4 years studying for a degree if you'll just be miserable and not performing to the best of your abilities.

Despite this, Bath is a very prestigious university (6th best in the UK according to The Guardian) particularly with regards to research and its business management courses is one of the best in the UK< hence why so many students come here. The student life is very balanced, with plenty to do outside of your course be it the arts and music, sports, societies or just being in a city with lots to do. It also has a huge number of international students like yourself so it is very multicultural, and our International Students Association runs lots of socials and events for them, and there are also different societies for many different nationalities.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Eryn, a second year Natural Sciences student
ns2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there,
I was in a similar predicament when I was choosing my firm & insurance choices. I was dead set on Bath but was unsure if it'd be better to choose a more "prestigious", higher ranking uni as my firm. Now looking back on it, I definitely think I made the right choice.

While you should definitely consider ranking & league tables when applying to universities, you shouldn't make this the deciding factor. While a university may be presitigous and highly ranked overall, it may be low ranked for other important factors. Many of the more prestigious universities have low student satisfaction, which is often overlooked by students. The student satisfaction at Bath is one of the highest in the UK, so I'd definitely suggest taking this into account as your happiness whilst studying is going to be incredibly important - there's no point spending 4 years studying for a degree if you'll just be miserable and not performing to the best of your abilities.

Despite this, Bath is a very prestigious university (6th best in the UK according to The Guardian) particularly with regards to research and its business management courses is one of the best in the UK< hence why so many students come here. The student life is very balanced, with plenty to do outside of your course be it the arts and music, sports, societies or just being in a city with lots to do. It also has a huge number of international students like yourself so it is very multicultural, and our International Students Association runs lots of socials and events for them, and there are also different societies for many different nationalities.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Eryn, a second year Natural Sciences student
Thank you so much for the help! I was about to firm Bath as it is but this just makes me more secure in my decision <3 thank for doing what you do, I would like to take the opportunity to let you know the student ambassadors here on TSR with their well thought out and informative answers helped me out in so many ways! Looking forward to a place at Bath, fingers crossed!
University of Bath
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!

It's great to hear you've firmed Bath, and we wish you luck in your next steps of the admissions process. Thanks so much for your feedback, if you need any more help or advice please feel free to visit some of our other threads such as our one on accommodation.

Thanks,
Katie, 2nd year Modern Languages student

(Original post by ns2001)
Thank you so much for the help! I was about to firm Bath as it is but this just makes me more secure in my decision <3 thank for doing what you do, I would like to take the opportunity to let you know the student ambassadors here on TSR with their well thought out and informative answers helped me out in so many ways! Looking forward to a place at Bath, fingers crossed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open day Postgraduate
    Wed, 3 Apr '19
  • University of Bath
    Wed, 3 Apr '19
  • University of Bath
    Wed, 12 Jun '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.14%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (77)
19.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.52%

Watched Threads