The Student Room Group

Have any of you been accepted to a Russell Group Uni with a BTEC alone?

Excluding the very, very top 5 unis (((like obviously Oxbridge or Cambridge since a lot of very pissy people on TSR like to mention that you can't go to those two with a BTEC alone even though not everyone wants go there or have rich-as-**** parents that can afford to let their kids go there))) or any University that demands an A-level alongside, did any of you manage to be accepted into to a Russell Group University with minimum DDD in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma and a minimum 5-6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics?

I'm currently hoping to change over to a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business and hopefully go to uni to study Accounting. If any of you studied a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in ICT, that is also fine. I'd also like to know how do you find University and how hard is it there?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-Yellow-Spring
Excluding the very, very top 5 unis (((like obviously Oxbridge or Cambridge since a lot of very pissy people on TSR like to mention that you can't go to those two with a BTEC alone even though not everyone wants go there or have rich-as-**** parents that can afford to let their kids go there))) or any University that demands an A-level alongside, did any of you manage to be accepted into to a Russell Group University with minimum DDD in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma and a minimum 5-6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics?

I'm currently hoping to change over to a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business and hopefully go to uni to study Accounting. If any of you studied a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in ICT, that is also fine. I'd also like to know how do you find University and how hard is it there?

You might have difficulties with accounting because of its Maths content and most RG universities will require A level Maths as well. Business or management you will probably get in with. The btec courses dont cover the level of Maths needed for things like Accountancy and Economics

I’m currently on ICT course and ik for a fact that almost all unis will accept you. In this subject area I’d imagine any uni would accept unless they require a level maths
Southampton will
Cousin got accepted to kings with DDD , not sure about accounting though
Original post by swanseajack1
You might have difficulties with accounting because of its Maths content and most RG universities will require A level Maths as well. Business or management you will probably get in with. The btec courses dont cover the level of Maths needed for things like Accountancy and Economics

Is a 6 in GCSE Mathematics ok in turn? Or would it be possible to catch up in Uni?
Are any RG unis concerned about GCSE resits? If I'll resit GCSE Maths higher twice do I have to specify it and will they have a problem with that?
Is a 6 in GCSE Mathematics ok in turn? Or would it be possible to catch up in Uni?

GCSE maths is very different compared to A level Maths - have you thought of perhaps taking a year out and self be teach maths a level if it’s required ?
Original post by PopsicleCharms
GCSE maths is very different compared to A level Maths - have you thought of perhaps taking a year out and self be teach maths a level if it’s required ?

No, I didn't know that it was possible and I don't know how to do that.
@Professional G Might be able to give you advice about this
Are any RG unis concerned about GCSE resits? If I'll resit GCSE Maths higher twice do I have to specify it and will they have a problem with that?

Most universities including RG ones are not really concerned greatly about GCSE results. The main concern is you have 5 GCSE grade C or above including English Language and Maths. Some look for grade Bs in either English or Maths depending on the subject you intend studying. Bath for some subjects require grade A in Maths. You need to check individual universities for their requirements and do not just look at RG.There are non RG unis like Bath, East Anglia, Lancaster, Loughborough and St Andrews that are as good as or better than many RG unis. If you are not good at Maths I would look at something other than accountancy.
Bath University

BTEC and Cambridge Technical

Typical offer

D*DD

D*DD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF), BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) or Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma plus A in A level Mathematics.

You must also be studying A level Mathematics alongside a relevant BTEC or Cambridge Technical qualification. We prefer the above qualifications in Business but you can also be considered with BTEC or Cambridge Technical qualifications in Engineering or Science. In this case we would expect you to demonstrate evidence of strong essay-based skills, such as strong GCSE performance in English and humanities subjects.
(edited 5 years ago)
BSc Accounting and Finance

UCAS codeN422
Duration3 Years
Typical offerAAA-AAB; IB: 36-34; BTEC National DDD
DisciplineAccounting and Finance
Location Streatham (Exeter)

Entry requirements
Entry requirements 2019

Typical offer
AAA-AAB; IB: 36-34; BTEC National DDDRequired subjects
GCSE Maths grade B or 5 or GCE AL/AS Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths or IB SL4 Maths/Maths Studies or Core Maths; GCSE English Language grade B or 5.
BSc Accounting and Finance

UCAS codeN422
Duration3 Years
Typical offerAAA-AAB; IB: 36-34; BTEC National DDD
DisciplineAccounting and Finance
Location Streatham (Exeter)

Entry requirements
Entry requirements 2019

Typical offer
AAA-AAB; IB: 36-34; BTEC National DDDRequired subjects
GCSE Maths grade B or 5 or GCE AL/AS Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths or IB SL4 Maths/Maths Studies or Core Maths; GCSE English Language grade B or 5.

This one cheered me up when I saw it, but then again if they won't accept my application then I'm ****ed. They also do another course "Bsc Accounting and Business" so I might also apply to that one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Bath University

BTEC and Cambridge Technical

Typical offer

D*DD

D*DD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF), BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) or Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma plus A in A level Mathematics.

You must also be studying A level Mathematics alongside a relevant BTEC or Cambridge Technical qualification. We prefer the above qualifications in Business but you can also be considered with BTEC or Cambridge Technical qualifications in Engineering or Science. In this case we would expect you to demonstrate evidence of strong essay-based skills, such as strong GCSE performance in English and humanities subjects.

Thank you, but I'm not interested in Bath, or any Uni that requires A-levels alongside because I probably won't do A-levels. :/
Original post by chooseanother
@Professional G Might be able to give you advice about this

Thanks for tagging me

I’m a Biomedical science student at Warwick who applied with DDD at BTEC

It’s very possible to get into a Russell group with BTEC depending on what course you’re applying to.

For accounting, BTEC are accepted however they are usually accompanied with a Maths A Level.
That’s not to say it’s impossible but you may have a similar journey like me (having to individually call up unis hoping they take BTEC only)
Original post by Professional G
Thanks for tagging me

I’m a Biomedical science student at Warwick who applied with DDD at BTEC

It’s very possible to get into a Russell group with BTEC depending on what course you’re applying to.

For accounting, BTEC are accepted however they are usually accompanied with a Maths A Level.
That’s not to say it’s impossible but you may have a similar journey like me (having to individually call up unis hoping they take BTEC only)

Thank you for the information, does Warwick also have strict requirements when it comes to GCSE resits or do they not care as long as you get the grade required when you apply? I'm considering studying Accounting and Finance with a foundation year there.
Thank you for the information, does Warwick also have strict requirements when it comes to GCSE resits or do they not care as long as you get the grade required when you apply? I'm considering studying Accounting and Finance with a foundation year there.

They don’t really mind when it comes to GCSES. As long as you get the grades, they don’t mind.
I would say you have a good chance to being accepted so I wouldn’t worry too much
Reply 18

Oxford do accept BTEC on its own if you were interested, see their admissions page: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

If you're looking for Business related courses though, check out: Durham, Nottingham, York, Loughborough, Lancaster, Warwick, UCL (for ITMB), and I know people who have got into those top unis (not all RG) for business related courses. Also, I believe LSE accept the BTEC Extended Diploma with D*D*D* if you pass their admissions test.

Hope this helps
Thank you all so much for your replies.
I've sent a few emails in to different Universities, most of them require a 6 in maths and a 6 in English Lang (or a 4) and asked them if they are ok with me resitting twice but I'm scared that they'll all reply with no. Do they generally bother if you do resit twice?

Quick Reply

Latest