GCSE, help :( Watch

HidingMyFailure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Nitrogen reacts with hydrogen to make ammonia.
N2 + 3H2 ⇌ 2NH3
a. Calculate the theoretical yield of ammonia, NH3, that can be produced by reacting 90 tonnes of hydrogen with an excess nitrogen
b. The actual yield of ammonia is 120 tonnes. Calculate the percentage yield of ammonia

would appreciate any help because triple chemistry is absolutely kicking my arse
Last edited by HidingMyFailure; 4 weeks ago
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want some triple help message me on discord if you have it ShadyNya#5236
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
a.) If nitrogen is in excess, then theoretically, the entire 90 tonnes (90x106 g = 45x106 moles) of hydrogen will react to form ammonia. But how much ammonia? Well, use stoichiometry. The ratio of hydrogen to ammonia is 2:3. This theoretically means that \frac{2}{3} moles of ammonia will be formed, which is equal to 30x106 moles of ammonia. This corresponds to a theoretical ammoniacal yield of 510 tonnes.

b.) Percentage yield is just the ratio of how much product is actually formed to how much would theoretically be formed, summed up in the equation: \frac{actual * 100}{theoretical}. This equation works with both masses and moles, so it's up to you which you choose. Using masses, the yield is \frac{120 * 100}{510} = 23.5%. Using moles, the yield is \frac{7.06 * 100}{30} = 23.5%. Hence, it's up to you which you use.
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads