The Student Room Group

Question about consent

What if you're about to go to a club with a girl, and before you go (when you're sober) you both give consent to having sex with each other for later on when you're drunk? If you are then both drunk, you would technically be raping each other, but because you gave consent in advance are you ok?
If a person is drunk to the point of unconsciousness, or to the point that they can't meaningfully consent or make their wishes known, you shouldn't have sex with them even if they've previously consented. A person should be able to withdraw their consent at any time and have that respected, but they can't do that if they're incapacitated. Even if they gave their consent earlier, you might have sex with them in a way they weren't expecting and would not have consented to.
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If a person is drunk to the point of unconsciousness, or to the point that they can't meaningfully consent or make their wishes known, you shouldn't have sex with them even if they've previously consented. A person should be able to withdraw their consent at any time and have that respected, but they can't do that if they're incapacitated. Even if they gave their consent earlier, you might have sex with them in a way they weren't expecting and would not have consented to.

thing is, what if they are more drunk than they seem? How do you define 'drunk'? How many drinks? They may be slightly tipsy but not so drunk that they don't know what they're doing? That's how I am, every time I go out I only get tipsy, and know exactly what I'm doing in the moment, and then remember almost everything the following morning, so if a girl had sex with me when I'm tipsy, should I feel like a 'victim'? Hell no! Are you saying that as long as the girl isn't PARALYTIC it should be ok? Or if you ask a girl in the club gives you consent when she's sober, and then you have sex when she's only tipsy is that ok (unless she's withdrawn the consent)? Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
thing is, what if they are more drunk than they seem? How do you define 'drunk'? How many drinks? They may be slightly tipsy but not so drunk that they don't know what they're doing? That's how I am, every time I go out I only get tipsy, and know exactly what I'm doing in the moment, and then remember almost everything the following morning, so if a girl had sex with me when I'm tipsy, should I feel like a 'victim'? Hell no! Are you saying that as long as the girl isn't PARALYTIC it should be ok? Or if you ask a girl in the club gives you consent when she's sober, and then you have sex when she's only tipsy is that ok (unless she's withdrawn the consent)? Thank you

Tipsy is basically okay, if they're able to meaningfully make their wishes known. All the same I'd be very careful about it. Alcohol impairs good judgement and makes you clumsy. Make sure they really do want what's going on, make sure you don't somehow hurt them, make sure you use protection properly. If there's any doubt as to whether one person or the other will remember what happened in the morning, sex is a really bad idea.
Reply 4
Tipsy is basically okay, if they're able to meaningfully make their wishes known. All the same I'd be very careful about it. Alcohol impairs good judgement and makes you clumsy. Make sure they really do want what's going on, make sure you don't somehow hurt them, make sure you use protection properly. If there's any doubt as to whether one person or the other will remember what happened in the morning, sex is a really bad idea.

right thanks, it's just in a uni lecture about consent, they said 'drunk people are unable to give consent', and then they dont define drunk lol cheers dude so I'll just make sure that whoever I hit on isn't clearly too drunk. Frankly, I can drink as much as I want, if a girl smashes me, I'd be happy Kappa. Oh and it's probably a good idea to discuss it with them the next morning to make sure you're on good terms and everything, right?
Original post by Anonymous
right thanks, it's just in a uni lecture about consent, they said 'drunk people are unable to give consent', and then they dont define drunk lol cheers dude so I'll just make sure that whoever I hit on isn't clearly too drunk. Frankly, I can drink as much as I want, if a girl smashes me, I'd be happy Kappa. Oh and it's probably a good idea to discuss it with them the next morning to make sure you're on good terms and everything, right?

Again, it's simpler just to not have sex with drunk people. How confident can you really be about how drunk a person is, especially if you are also drunk? Where do you draw the line?

''Frankly, I can drink as much as I want, if a girl smashes me, I'd be happy Kappa.'' This is the kind of outlook that gets you STIs and unwanted pregnancies. If you're fall-down drunk, you can't make sure things are done safely.

But yes, continuing to communicate with the other person is never a bad idea.
Reply 6
Again, it's simpler just to not have sex with drunk people. How confident can you really be about how drunk a person is, especially if you are also drunk? Where do you draw the line?

''Frankly, I can drink as much as I want, if a girl smashes me, I'd be happy Kappa.'' This is the kind of outlook that gets you STIs and unwanted pregnancies. If you're fall-down drunk, you can't make sure things are done safely.

But yes, continuing to communicate with the other person is never a bad idea.

Oh yeah I'd always be safe, but I was saying that hypothetically, like I only really get happy and tipsy and dancing etc. I don't want to overdo it because I'll just feel sick so I know it isn't worth it. Just stay tipsy, and only go for ones who are like that I guess. Cheers dude
Reply 7
If you can have a coherent conversation with them then chances are they are not drunk. Use your judgement though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending