The Student Room Group

endo or exo

is the decomposition of ammonium nitrate an endothermic or exothermic process?

how do we know if its endo or exo?
Reply 1
Is a bond breaking?

Is bond breaking exo or endo?
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
Is a bond breaking?

Is bond breaking exo or endo?

Bond breaking is endothermic, but i dont km9w whats happening here..
decomposition reactions are usually endo because they require energy to break the bonds in a compound, with a few exceptions.
endo-bond breaking
exo-bond making
Reply 4
Original post by div.k
decomposition reactions are usually endo because they require energy to break the bonds in a compound, with a few exceptions.
endo-bond breaking
exo-bond making

then why these values show this process as being exo?
Original post by googie3
then why these values show this process as being exo?

it's an exception, they've calculated the enthalpy change.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by div.k
it's an exception, they've calculated the enthalpy change.

you mean ammonium nitrate decomposition is not endothermic?
Original post by googie3
you mean ammonium nitrate decomposition is not endothermic?

it's always best to calculate the enthalpy change to make sure whether a reaction is endo or exo because there are exceptions.
in this case, even though it's a decomposition reaction, it's exothermic.
Reply 8
IMG-20190216-WA0018-compressed.jpg.jpeg
but this shows presence of heat makes this endo. maybe something with the values is wrong... i just wanted to confirm what it really is. and im more confused than i ever was
Original post by div.k
it's always best to calculate the enthalpy change to make sure whether a reaction is endo or exo because there are exceptions.
in this case, even though it's a decomposition reaction, it's exothermic.
Original post by googie3
IMG-20190216-WA0018-compressed.jpg.jpeg
but this shows presence of heat makes this endo. maybe something with the values is wrong... i just wanted to confirm what it really is. and im more confused than i ever was

only presence of heat does not make it endo, even exo reactions require heat because this is activation energy don't get confused. this is why enthalpy is calculated, to figure out whether there is an OVERALL intake or release of energy. it's correct don't worry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by div.k
only presence of heat does not make it endo, even exo reactions require heat because this is activation energy don't get confused. this is why enthalpy is calculated, to figure out whether there there is OVERALL intake or release of energy. it's correct don't worry.

image-97d9de03-4b23-4981-a620-67d144a66f914294191394460863185-compressed.jpg.jpeg

then plz tell why Moles of products increased at high temperature? if its an exception and exo?
Original post by googie3
image-97d9de03-4b23-4981-a620-67d144a66f914294191394460863185-compressed.jpg.jpeg

then plz tell why Moles of products increased at high temperature? if its an exception and exo?

that's reaction kinetics, increasing the temperature increases the rate of the reaction(more moles of products are produced) because more frequent collisions are likely to occur between reactant particles(they have a higher average kinetic energy which means they move faster).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by googie3

The graph is showing what happens when you add more moles of ammonium nitrate into the mix. Adding more moles means you are going to have a larger reactant than before, resulting in more moles of N2O and H2O being produced. This does not mean it is exothermic. This should be an endothermic reaction overall as you are decomposing ammonium nitrate into its constituents.

Quick Reply

Latest