Kcl + ppl = qld? Watch

tenacity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have heard worrying things about whether or not KCL's Politics, Philosophy and Law LLB is, de facto, a qualifying law degree for practising as a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales. Specifically, there are concerns that further study might be required before progressing to the vocational stage of the two professions.

Others have since asked me what this might mean, and since I don't know I thought it would be helpful to have a public exchange.

(Original post by nulli tertius)
x
(Original post by J-SP)
x
Last edited by tenacity; 4 weeks ago
TheManTheMyth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.sra.org.uk/students/cour...providers.page

This is the official Solicitors Regulation Authority website, scroll down and PPL is listed under KCL as a QLD
tenacity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheManTheMyth)
https://www.sra.org.uk/students/cour...providers.page

This is the official Solicitors Regulation Authority website, scroll down and PPL is listed under KCL as a QLD
As we've discussed, it is a QLD but apparently that doesn't mean no further study will be required to move on to the vocational element.
TheManTheMyth
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tenacity)
As we've discussed, it is a QLD but apparently that doesn't mean no further study will be required to move on to the vocational element.
After a law degree there is always more study needed to become a lawyer tho... you need to do the LPC or the new SQE or whatever. The fact that it is a QLD means that you don't have to do the GDL, that's it.
tenacity
Rep:
?
After a law degree there is always more study needed to become a lawyer tho... you need to do the LPC or the new SQE or whatever. The fact that it is a QLD means that you don't have to do the GDL, that's it.
I'm not talking about the vocational stage. I created this thread because of my own confusion but nulli tertius seemed to suggest that the course may not be sufficient to progress straight to the vocational stage.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not talking about the vocational stage. I created this thread because of my own confusion but nulli tertius seemed to suggest that the course may not be sufficient to progress straight to the vocational stage.
If it’s a QLD then it will be sufficient.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J-SP)
If it’s a QLD then it will be sufficient.
The issue is this. The course is listed as a QLD by the SRA but the available modules listed by King’s https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...d-law-llb.aspx do not include anything that could be rationally regarded as Contract or EU law either as compulsory or optional modules.

In the case of SOAS’s BA law and another subject degree, this is listed as a QLD by the SRA but virtually all of the SRA core subjects are optional for the degree (only Contract and Criminal law are compulsory). Obviously plenty of people will graduate with that degree without having a QLD because they haven’t chosen the necessary options.

The difference between the degree at SOAS and that at KCL is that Contract and EU don’t even appear to be available as options at KCL.

My view is asking KCL is the only sensible way to proceed.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 4 weeks ago
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The issue is this. The course is listed as a QLD by the SRA but the available modules listed by King’s https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...d-law-llb.aspx do not include anything that could be rationally regarded as Contract or EU law either as compulsory or optional modules.

In the case of SOAS’s BA law and another subject degree, this is listed as a QLD by the SRA but virtually all of the SRA core subjects are optional for the degree (only Contract and Criminal law are compulsory). Obviously plenty of people will graduate with that degree without having a QLD because they haven’t chosen the necessary options.

The difference between the degree at SOAS and that at KCL is that Contract and EU don’t even appear to be available as options at KCL.

A lot of degrees that are not straight LLBs are like this where the modules are optional.

Always worthwhile checking with university, both pre attending and during the course itself to ensure you are doing everything right.

Will be a moot point for those looking to become solicitors though - a QLD won’t be needed by 2021
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/p...nd-law-llb.pdf

Page 2, you take both of those as required modules in first year on that course.

I have heard worrying things about whether or not KCL's Politics, Philosophy and Law LLB is, de facto, a qualifying law degree for practising as a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales. Specifically, there are concerns that further study might be required before progressing to the vocational stage of the two professions.

Others have since asked me what this might mean, and since I don't know I thought it would be helpful to have a public exchange.
As you can see all the core modules are covered, although you have some flexibility in deciding what order to take 3 of them in the last two years. Hence per the SRA, it's a QLD.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
TheManTheMyth
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

The only sensible way to proceed would be to completely ignore these proclaimed student room experts and check the info available. artful_lounger is 100% correct. You take EU Law and Contract in year 1, and the rest across years 2,3 and 4.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The only sensible way to proceed would be to completely ignore these proclaimed student room experts and check the info available. artful_lounger is 100% correct. You take EU Law and Contract in year 1, and the rest across years 2,3 and 4.
I am grateful for the Artful Lounger’s reference but the link I gave, which omitted any reference to Contract and EU law, was also a King’s official site list of modules.
tenacity
Rep:
?
I am grateful for the Artful Lounger’s reference but the link I gave, which omitted any reference to Contract and EU law, was also a King’s official site list of modules.
KCL has a lot of website problems, it seems. Most of the internal pages I have clicked from the first page of Google, about modules, scholarships etc. return an error message. At this time of year they are shooting themselves in the foot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (146)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (133)
16.9%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (240)
30.5%

Watched Threads