Job advice Watch

travelcollegeguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What is a permanent contract. I want to get a job and Morrison's are hiring but its permanent and I need to leave in September for uni. I also have alot of events in the summer like concerts I am going to
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A permanent contract has no fixed duration and is expected to carry on indefinitely. It doesn't necessarily stop you from applying and getting the job if you're going back to uni, but you may want to consider a fixed term or other temporary role elsewhere. You're highly unlikely to get the job if you mention your concerts, etc. though. There's enough people waiting in the queue who won't have those things to go to and will work the dates you won't.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
So what do I do about the concerts and then finishing for uni in September. Do I just fake a illness and then just quit in September
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
So what do I do about the concerts and then finishing for uni in September. Do I just fake a illness and then just quit in September
Look for a more flexible job, a casual zero hour contract, or something you can take with you later on. McDonalds might have an internal transfer opportunity to one near your uni when it's time. If you have several dates you need off over the next few months though, then you're going to find it very difficult to get anything.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Its not several days off only 5
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
The problem is I asked KFC if they would give me a part time job with the college overseas trip I have and the concerts and uni open days off and they said no so I dunno what to do
BritishGirl
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The problem is I asked KFC if they would give me a part time job with the college overseas trip I have and the concerts and uni open days off and they said no so I dunno what to do
Employers require employees to be more flexible throughout the week to meet the needs of the business. Students sometimes go for a zero hour contract as it is flexible around their coursework and lectures.
They can work when and as you may need to. But even that isn't always promising, because it also depends if the employer have the work available for you as well.
I'd say ask around - can you apply out of your local area?
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
yeah but not for long as starting uni soon
Jackaleksandr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can book holidays for the concerts/work your days off around the events. You can also transfer to a different store closer to your university in September (assuming you want to.) Morrison's guarantee at least 4 hours to any university students that are transferring because of uni.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
liverpool1A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is a permanent contract. I want to get a job and Morrison's are hiring but its permanent and I need to leave in September for uni. I also have alot of events in the summer like concerts I am going to
It basically means your not on a zero hours contract. Which is great as there is full time work for you I guess. If it was 0 hours it would drive you crazy as your basically on call for the job.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like has been mentioned before, apply for mcdonalds.
They are very flexible, and take on a lot of students.
When you go to uni, you can keep your job there, and go back in the summer/at xmas.
You can also see about transferring to a store near uni while at uni.
BritishGirl
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Like has been mentioned before, apply for mcdonalds.
They are very flexible, and take on a lot of students.
When you go to uni, you can keep your job there, and go back in the summer/at xmas.
You can also see about transferring to a store near uni while at uni.
OP cannot apply to McDonalds as they have blacklisted him because he kept failing to turn up to his interviews.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BritishGirl)
OP cannot apply to McDonalds as they have blacklisted him because he kept failing to turn up to his interviews.
Really?
I read a thread about that recently actually, but hadnt took much notice to who it actually was. Obviously its the same person.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Really?
I read a thread about that recently actually, but hadnt took much notice to who it actually was. Obviously its the same person.
Yeah that was me. I was worried about how people might see me having a job there
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah that was me. I was worried about how people might see me having a job there
It isnt bad working there you know.
If it was i wouldnt have worked there on and off for 9 years.

Not that that is much use to you anyway if you ave been blacklisted.
BritishGirl
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I kept saying to you, having that kind of attitude will NOT help you get a job or anywhere in life.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I kept saying to you, having that kind of attitude will NOT help you get a job or anywhere in life.
Exactly.
You either want a job or you dont.
If you arent sure about working there- why apply in the first place? (why apply once, let alone 3 or 4 times).
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Exactly.
If you arent sure about working there- why apply in the first place? (why apply once, let alone 3 or 4 times).
Oh yeah I understand that and I do really want a job. If I was accepted now i would just go for the interview as I need some money before university and it might be flexible with my college studies. I was just worried what they might think of a 26 year old who is still at college and who had never worked before who is starting university in September.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Yeah I know that now. I don't mind any job now. I have applied for KFC but they haven't got back to me yet
BritishGirl
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Exactly.
OP needs to learn that no one is perfect in this world, but if those people think differently then obviously they don't live in reality (otherwise on a different planet :lol: ).

I've personally stopped caring about other people's opinions about me because it's exactly none of their business what I do as it's my life - not theirs to control.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads