The Student Room Group

Lancaster and Law

I went to the Lancaster open day today and really liked the campus and the feel of the university. They mentioned a lot of statistics about graduate employment etc. but how high, in the field is law, is Lancaster regarded? Would it harm my chances to opt to go here over, say, Nottingham or York?

Scroll to see replies

What you planning on doing after the degree?
Original post by Stabsy57
I went to the Lancaster open day today and really liked the campus and the feel of the university. They mentioned a lot of statistics about graduate employment etc. but how high, in the field is law, is Lancaster regarded? Would it harm my chances to opt to go here over, say, Nottingham or York?

I know people who did Law at Lancaster and although it's a great Uni, I don't think they had as much contact with large legal firms as Law students typically would at Nottingham (don't know about York).
Are you predicted AAA? I will go with J-SP and that it won't matter to recruiters; but you're probably gonna be less exposed to top firms and commercially minded students at Lanc relative especially to Notts. A lot of students' momentum to apply to open days, vacs, photography competitions and so on come from their peers. If you think you're self-motivated, this is less of a factor.

So go with Lanc if you like the scene. Do consider the difference in academic rigour, especially between Lanc and Notts. Law is taught largely the same, but the approach in terms of depth ain't the same. Even between quite "close" unis.
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous1231231
What you planning on doing after the degree?

Ideally a national level firm.
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
Are you predicted AAA? I will go with J-SP and that it won't matter to recruiters; but you're probably gonna be less exposed to top firms and commercially minded students at Lanc relative especially to Notts. A lot of students' momentum to apply to open days, vacs, photography competitions and so on come from their peers. If you think you're self-motivated, this is less of a factor.

So go with Lanc if you like the scene. Do consider the difference in academic rigour, especially between Lanc and Notts. Law is taught largely the same, but the approach in terms of depth ain't the same. Even between quite "close" unis.

I'm predicted A*AA
I'm predicted A*AA

To be honest, with those predicted grades I would play safe and put Nottingham or York above Lancaster. I know it is still a very respected Uni and you shouldn't be discriminated against at the selection stage, but I think you would have more opportunities to network at the other two.

Lancaster could be a great Insurance choice if you're not very confident about achieving the A*AA
I'm predicted A*AA

Some people do come back on the forum and say they let themselves down by going to the easier uni (usually halfway through Y1) -- I think they're deeply neurotic and have summit wrong with 'em. When you're in the trenches, you're still getting shot at.

Go to Lancaster, get an easy first, and on to the 100k it is.

Go to Lancaster, get an easy first, and on to the 100k it is.

You dreamer
Original post by harrysbar
You dreamer

It's why we all do it.

4-5 years NQ at a City firm, and you're in. Our venerable J-SP tells us she wasn't far off the 6 figures, iirc.
Reply 10
Thing is I had an interview to get an unconditional offer (only if I firm them) at Lancaster and I think it went well butNottingham gave me a reduced offer of AAB and if I don't put Lancaster as my first choice my offer is AAB.
It's why we all do it.

4-5 years NQ at a City firm, and you're in. Our venerable J-SP tells us she wasn't far off the 6 figures, iirc.

Not everyone gets to work at a City firm, or even wants to.
And I don't think even many City firms pay 100k to NQ off the bat

I'm sure it's doable just not quite as easy as you made it sound for the average person starting a law degree
Thing is I had an interview to get an unconditional offer (only if I firm them) at Lancaster and I think it went well butNottingham gave me a reduced offer of AAB and if I don't put Lancaster as my first choice my offer is AAB.

Remember, though, that them giving you an offer of AAB doesn't mean they actually require AAB. Suppose you got ABB or even BBB, do you think they'd necessarily turn you away -- given they have zero standards for their unconditionals?

This is what I am sort of getting at -- if your peers are on unconditionals, and they achieved ABB-BBB typically (they make 60% of enrollers in '17), will you feel a bit degraded going there with A*AA or even higher? Some people will.

In other words, you're probably gonna get in to Lancaster even if you miss your offer by 2 grades.
Original post by J-SP
It’s one of Biggie’s flippant comments - you have to not take them too seriously.

Only about 10-12 firms paying £100k+ as a NQ. Quite a number who don’t pay quite that much but with benefits package and bonus, won’t be too far off that within the first year of being a NQ

My comment was flippant too :smile:

But on a serious note, it does concern me how many students seem to choose Law purely for the money when most will end up at regional firms that aren't even particularly well paid (and the ones with poor academics will be lucky if they can get a training contract at all.) But that is not OPs case, so sorry for going off at a tangent
Original post by harrysbar
My comment was flippant too :smile:

But on a serious note, it does concern me how many students seem to choose Law purely for the money when most will end up at regional firms that aren't even particularly well paid (and the ones with poor academics will be lucky if they can get a training contract at all.) But that is not OPs case, so sorry for going off at a tangent

As J-SP pointed out, I think you took my post too literally. "100k" has a long history with me; I do use it somewhat ironically.

As for the latter, mid-sized regionals have some money in 'em. I wouldn't sniff at them. I personally see the money-grabbing people as the ones who actually shape all their activities around the goal of getting a TC from MC/SC -- they're the slippery devils who actually end up at the top firms. The people I know at regionals came in more humble. It might be a problem generally, but from the people I know, that's what I saw.
(edited 5 years ago)
As J-SP pointed out, I think you took my post too literally. "100k" has a long history with me; I do use it somewhat ironically.

As for the latter, mid-sized regionals have some money in 'em. I wouldn't sniff at them. I personally see the money-grabbing people as the ones who actually shape all their activities around the goal of getting a TC from MC/SC -- they're the slippery devils who actually end up at the top firms. The people I know at regionals came in more humble. It might be a problem generally, but from the people I know, that's what I saw.

In my family, we just always say "you dreamer" to anything at all questionable - (it's from a Micky Flanagan sketch :smile:)

York and Nottigham are better schools, they have higher employers rates and salaries according to universityco, I don't think it will harm your chances. I'm also heading to Lancaster for Law :smile: Lancaster is regarded as a good university, and on the league tables its regarded as 13 for Law.
Original post by JayJ2001
York and Nottigham are better schools, they have higher employers rates and salaries according to universityco, I don't think it will harm your chances. I'm also heading to Lancaster for Law :smile: Lancaster is regarded as a good university, and on the league tables its regarded as 13 for Law.

League tables don't mean, if you excuse my French, nowt.
League tables don't mean, if you excuse my French, nowt.

League tables do mean something. If they mean't nothing they wouldn't even be a thing. League tables mean what university is "better overall". I'm looking at the main league table for the UK and apparently it helps determine future outcome and employeability based off of what university you go to.
Original post by JayJ2001
League tables do mean something. If they mean't nothing they wouldn't even be a thing. League tables mean what university is "better overall". I'm looking at the main league table for the UK and apparently it helps determine future outcome and employeability based off of what university you go to.

They would be a thing, as long as there are sufficiently gullible people to swallow 'em up whole. Fortunately for the publishers, there is an abundance. It is my job to use my infinite knowledge and experience of law courses to castrate the potency of these dog-shite-tier tables.

Quick Reply

Latest