Finding a job as a primary teacher-help! Watch

Samhello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I'm going to starting my primary pgce in Sep 2019 (manchester) however, I'm really worried because I've been told that it's difficult to find a job as a Nqt in primary schools. My training is through Scitt prestolee. Anyone done primary training through them and found a job straight away or even on your placement. Anyway advice will be appreciated. Thanks
BewareTomato
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Samhello)
Hi I'm going to starting my primary pgce in Sep 2019 (manchester) however, I'm really worried because I've been told that it's difficult to find a job as a Nqt in primary schools. My training is through Scitt prestolee. Anyone done primary training through them and found a job straight away or even on your placement. Anyway advice will be appreciated. Thanks
I think sometimes you get your placement school offering a job, other times you job hunt.
But don’t worry about that now, I’d say just celebrate the offer and start to meet to the requirements -if any!

congrats on the offer!
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The vast, vast majority of trainees will end up in an NQT job and there are government targets for PGCE recruitment to ensure that there aren't excessive numbers hunting for jobs. Some areas of the country are more competitive for primary than others - not sure about Manchester specifically - but for now I really wouldn't worry about it.

Even in the scenario where you couldn't find an NQT job in your ideal area (that happened to a trainee teacher I volunteered alongside - one of the best teachers I've ever seen!) for whatever reason, you can always do supply teaching for a while.

For now, be happy that you've got a PGCE offer and don't worry about jobs until at least January 2020!
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are lucky, a school where you do your placement may have a vacancy.
If you really struggle looking for jobs, it may be worth signing up to an agency. Someone i know did that, worked on an agency at various schools for a while, and one of them she had worked at had a vacancy coming up and took her on.
Samhello
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I just wondered if there was anyone out there who had done their pgce through prestolee Scitt and what they thought?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go on TES now and search for primary jobs in your area and see what the ground looks like. Training providers are rated on how many of their students find jobs so put a bit of effort in preparing your for it.
Samhello
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Any one done their pgce through prestolee Scitt???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads