The Student Room Group

Why do people lie about their height so much in UK?

It seems rampant amongst 99.9% of people in UK to lie about their height. Personally, I wake up at 181.8 CM and go to sleep at around 180 CM. I have good posture and stand tall nearly always which probably makes me look taller.

For some reason though, people think I'm 6'2" and some even say 6'3"? It's because they are convinced of their own heights being greater than what it actually is. I can't figure out if people in this country are intellectually incapable of figuring out how to measure height (and the fact that shoes and hair doesn't count in the measuremenr) or if they all just lie to make everyone feel better about their genetics.

In fact, according to statistics, the average height in UK is 5'9" for all adults and 5'10" for people aged 25-34. Yet, whenever I walk to university I can walk across 40-50 men on a good day, without noticing someone taller than me. Maybe the fact I tend to prefer wearing boots like Timberlands helps but a lot of people do.

Either way, to all the people on this site. Why do you lie about your height and how much do you exaggerate by?

Scroll to see replies

155cm right here. anyone that asks gets that answer. I measured my height 7 years ago and havent changed since then
humans are insecure creatures
Good god
Exactly! :mad: I’m only 6’5 :u:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
155cm right here. anyone that asks gets that answer. I measured my height 7 years ago and havent changed since then

How tall are you?
Reply 6
If you're so confident you're that height, why are you anon? :holmes:
Original post by Drewski
If you're so confident you're that height, why are you anon? :holmes:

I'll remove the anonymous tag. I don't see what that has got to do with anything though?
Well, it might be the case for you. However, I'm pretty sure everyone knows how tall they really are. It's a physical stat that you hold pretty close to you because literally I've countless threads of people insecure about it etc. For a lot of men especially. When you go to the gym and measure your Bodyfat % or BMI on an electronic machine, your height pretty much determines a lot of it so I don't see why people wouldn't know it.

Sure, it seems a bit petty to post an essay about height but the reason is because honest people like me are affected by being truthful online 😂 Whereas there are people shorter than me who claim to be taller than me 🤦*♂️
Original post by RichPiana
Exactly! :mad: I’m only 6’5 :u:

Good God, I thought you were dead 😨
Original post by bluepepsican
Good God, I thought you were dead 😨

Fake news. I never die.
the boots will put you over 6'0" tbh.
Original post by ChickenMadness
the boots will put you over 6'0" tbh.

Most footwear gets me over 6'. I'm basically over 5'11.5" after a good sleep.

Boots tend to get me near an actual 6'1". And like I said, I have perfect posture so maybe that's why I look taller than I am, lol.
I am personally on a daily basis by people I meet, simply because my height is noteworthy and naturally becomes topic of the conversation. If you were 6ft3+, maybe you'd be asked more.
Reply 14
For some reason though, people think I'm 6'2" and some even say 6'3"? It's because they are convinced of their own heights being greater than what it actually is. I can't figure out if people in this country are intellectually incapable of figuring out how to measure height (and the fact that shoes and hair doesn't count in the measuremenr) or if they all just lie to make everyone feel better about their genetics.

Are these overestimates predominately from other men, or women? Because in my personal experience, women (yes, ALL women, every single one of them) are absolutely terrible at accurately judging height.
Original post by Wōden
Are these overestimates predominately from other men, or women? Because in my personal experience, women (yes, ALL women, every single one of them) are absolutely terrible at accurately judging height.

6'3" from a dude who was convinced that he himself was 6'2" and 6'2" from other dudeS who call themselves 6 ft when they're not.
It seems rampant amongst 99.9% of people in UK to lie about their height. Personally, I wake up at 181.8 CM and go to sleep at around 180 CM. I have good posture and stand tall nearly always which probably makes me look taller.

In fact, according to statistics, the average height in UK is 5'9" for all adults and 5'10" for people aged 25-34. Yet, whenever I walk to university I can walk across 40-50 men on a good day, without noticing someone taller than me. Maybe the fact I tend to prefer wearing boots like Timberlands helps but a lot of people do.

Either way, to all the people on this site. Why do you lie about your height and how much do you exaggerate by?

Do you have evidence back up your statistic about the 99.9% of people that lie about their height?

I don't lie about my height, have no need to. I don't see it as important.
1) I don't know how it works at your place but whenever I visit the GP, my height, weight, BMI and blood pressure is measured on a machine beforehand. I assumed it would be the same procedure in most places.

2) Not only on TSR but I hear people discussing height all the time from university lectures to people at the hairdressers.

3) I probably did. But I assumed most people would get it measured at the GP if not the gym.

4) I didn't make it sound like that because I said in a post it was a petty thing but I'm genuinely curious to know why people lie; whether they're insecure or whether they really don't know. Not once did I say this was a major issue that I set out to spread awareness.
Reply 18
men are the ones who tend to lie about their height..
Lol wot

I haven't many anyone who lies about their height to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest