Redoing a-levels at uni? Watch

Thrivinlivin
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Long story short: I got an unconditional offer from uni, which I accepted. I'm now at uni, studying law and I love it there. However, for my a-levels I got an A and D. This was down to personal circumstances. Now, I'm getting a bit worried, because for vacation schemes, training contracts and grad schemes a lot of companies, require good a- levels, like A's and B's.

Should I redo the subject that I got a D for, in my second year of university?(it was English Literature) Would this make me more employable?
Should I also consider doing a 3rd exam based subject like law or sociology that I could self-teach in my spare time?

Thanks if anyone replies
Last edited by Thrivinlivin; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Thrivinlivin)
Long story short: I got an unconditional offer from uni, which I accepted. I'm now at uni, studying law and I love it there. However, for my a-levels I got an A and D. This was down to personal circumstances. Now, I'm getting a bit worried, because for vacation schemes, training contracts and grad schemes a lot of companies, require good a- levels, like A's and B's.

Should I redo the subject that I got a D for, in my second year of university?(it was English Literature) Would this make me more employable?
Should I also consider doing a 3rd exam based subject like law or sociology that I could self-teach in my spare time?

Thanks if anyone replies
I think it does you damage. If your circumstances are exceptional, then you can try asking HR.
If you feel the D can be upgraded easily then maybe.
The danger is you mess up your degree. Maybe a lot more long term with your degree taking priority.
iseesparksfly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Take your degree more seriously than your A Levels
Thrivinlivin
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I think it does you damage. If your circumstances are exceptional, then you can try asking HR.
If you feel the D can be upgraded easily then maybe.
The danger is you mess up your degree. Maybe a lot more long term with your degree taking priority.
So, the bad a-levels do me damage? Or does trying to redo them do me damage? Probably both actually. Also, I understand that a degree holds more weight than a-levels in terms of academics, but I think I could do better in the subject I got a D for. Thanks for replying and for the advice!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Thrivinlivin)
So, the bad a-levels do me damage? Or does trying to redo them do me damage? Probably both actually. Also, I understand that a degree holds more weight than a-levels in terms of academics, but I think I could do better in the subject I got a D for. Thanks for replying and for the advice!
Certain graduate schemes just require a degree and others require a degree + A levels. If you dont have them then you are ineligible to apply. Pretty straightforward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads