The Student Room Group

Buying alcohol

I am an international student and was buying some beer at the shop on campus. I showed my citizenship card as my proof of id, but the cashier said that it might not work. I was able to buy it in the end, but she said I might have problems with someone else. I am international student, so of course I don't have a uk id. The photo on the card is a few years younger, but it's not like I can update the photo every year. It was clearly me. Is there some kind of rule that allows this, or some policy I don't know about. I'm confused
lol no... they are usually trained to accept foreign ID cards especially from the EU - probably went over his head ...
Reply 2
Go to bigger chain stores, you're less likely to have problems.

It's just because people don't recognise it, don't see it that often.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Go to bigger chain stores, you're less likely to have problems.

It's just because people don't recognise it, don't see it that often.

It is a store on campus though. They probably get a lot of international students. She asked for my uni id card to compare, so I think it was probs that the photo was of a younger me, but its a national id, there's nothing I can do about it. It was still clearly me.
Reply 4
Original post by roce
It is a store on campus though. They probably get a lot of international students. She asked for my uni id card to compare, so I think it was probs that the photo was of a younger me, but its a national id, there's nothing I can do about it. It was still clearly me.

The store generally might, but any retail place has a high turnover of staff so it's not unreasonable to suggest that the girl on the counter isn't used to seeing that card. That's all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending