Going on holiday during April half term?

Watch
Emsygirl28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My family has booked us a holiday during April half term. I'm excited for it, but my GCSEs start in May and I'm worried about slotting my revision around it. I could ask to stay home but I don't want to upset my family and I don't know if the holiday is refundable. Advice?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not ideal but it is what it is. Maybe take some revision guides on holiday (fun, eh?) so you can go through them when you get the chance
Poppyleahdaisy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes I completely agree
RichPiana
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ll be fine.
mayaleila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A holiday is both good and bad before exams, your brain gets the chance to relax and you get the chance to unwind. During your holiday you won’t be doing things the whole time. You will definitely have the chance to revise but do make sure you let yourself relax. You could leave a couple days for revision by staying at the hotel for those days and even mention to your parents that you still need time for revision as they should be aware. Ask them what they have planned each day and decide whether it can or can’t be missed so that you can use that time to revise. Don’t stay up late revising, and don’t sleep in as you will miss time either revising or going out with your family. It is very important and creates a stronger bond between your family. Have fun and enjoy it and do relax!
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I suspect you mean the Easter holidays, not April half term? As a parent I would not book a full holiday then - we took a long weekend at the beginning of the Easter holidays when my son was taking his GCSEs where he only took English literature books that he read before bed. It was 3 days/2 nights of a complete break and then he came back and knuckled down. I don't think it is fair of parents to book holidays - especially abroad - just before major exams as no child can fully enjoy it when they are either thinking about the revision they are missing or doing revision on holiday. It also restricts what the rest of the family can do on that holiday. We have friends who are taking their oldest son to Sri Lanka because their other two younger children are on cricket tour - they keep saying oh it's ok he can revise whilst he is there but how can he enjoy the break if he constantly feels he has to revise and is tired from the flight etc? We know the boy doesn't want to go but daren't tell his parents so he is immediately on the back foot and under pressure.

We went on an amazing holiday when the exams finished, just me and him - whilst it was still term time for everyone else so it wasn't overly expensive but was really special.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go with them. Exams are important, but I've always been of the firm belief that life and family comes first. It won't stop you from revising completely as you have plenty of time between now and then, and can even take some things on holiday with you if you wish. Make podcasts to listen to on the journey, take your revision guides, and let your parents know that you will need to revise sometimes. It's likely you would get at least a couple of hours a day anyway - my family holidays always seems to have a siesta in the middle of the day at some point!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise