Is Somerset the home of Cider within these isles?

Watch
Gingertraveller
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm a cider guy, and I'm just wondering where is the best place within the isles to seek out a County of many wonderful ciders that taste like angels, is it actually Somerset? Do we have Somerset people on here?
Gingertraveller
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bump
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gingertraveller)
I'm a cider guy, and I'm just wondering where is the best place within the isles to seek out a County of many wonderful ciders that taste like angels urinating on your tongue, is it actually Somerset? Do we have Somerset people on here?
I know Worleys is based in Somerset & they do some good ciders. Mendip Hills & Harvest Moon are my favourite ones of theirs. I've not been to Somerset but I have visited Devon & Cornwall & there's a good choice of different ciders from those places as well. I think the Southwest of England in general is well known for cider.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
yes - there is a good map here:

https://ciderguide.com/cider-maps/un...m-and-ireland/

South west/south wales in general is the home of cider-drinking.. somerset is its spiritual epicenter.

I still find it weird, as someone from somerset when I go elsewhere, and most of the men order beer/larger. Its just so normal here that the most common drink on the table is cider, and beer/ale/larger etc are the minority option.

In london, when I was a student - I had a group of friend who thought cider was just a 'girls drink' - mainly because all they had been exposed to was the fruity expensive fizzy bottled versions.

If you want real cider, come down to the southwest - get some nice flat strong stuff, smells like piss but tastes delicious, some of its as strong as wine, and gets you to a happy place real quick!
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Herefordshire is your best cider.
Gingertraveller
Rep:
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
yes - there is a good map here:

https://ciderguide.com/cider-maps/un...m-and-ireland/

South west/south wales in general is the home of cider-drinking.. somerset is its spiritual epicenter.

I still find it weird, as someone from somerset when I go elsewhere, and most of the men order beer/larger. Its just so normal here that the most common drink on the table is cider, and beer/ale/larger etc are the minority option.

In london, when I was a student - I had a group of friend who thought cider was just a 'girls drink' - mainly because all they had been exposed to was the fruity expensive fizzy bottled versions.

If you want real cider, come down to the southwest - get some nice flat strong stuff, smells like piss but tastes delicious, some of its as strong as wine, and gets you to a happy place real quick!
Cheers, I often get the same reaction I'm a cider guy and just don't like beer it's rotten stuff. Planning a weekend somewhere in England just to do this 😂
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Somerset is the place to be for cider. I grew up there and spent many summers of my childhood in orchards. :daydreaming:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (33)
7.13%
October 2021 (210)
45.36%
November 2021 (52)
11.23%
December 2021 (60)
12.96%
January 2021 (52)
11.23%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.86%