Accommodation on Hes East Watch

vivv322
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For anyone who knows, which would you say is the best of the three colleges on Heslington East at York? I was interested in choosing Goodricke simply because of it being the lowest price for an ensuite of all three on Hes East, but Langwith really appeals to me. Is it worth the extra money? And what are each of those three colleges' reputations?

Also what's the social life like on Hes East compared to West? Thanks
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vivv322)
For anyone who knows, which would you say is the best of the three colleges on Heslington East at York? I was interested in choosing Goodricke simply because of it being the lowest price for an ensuite of all three on Hes East, but Langwith really appeals to me. Is it worth the extra money? And what are each of those three colleges' reputations?

Also what's the social life like on Hes East compared to West? Thanks
I would say all 3 are very similar! Constantine has a bit of a rep for being posh but I’d say that’s just a stereotype. Langwith is the oldest college (moved to Hes East when it was built but was one of the founding colleges alongside Derwent) so maybe has a more established reputation because of that. Overall I’d say you’ll have a very similar experience at all 3 colleges so go for whichever accommodation you prefer.

Hes East is slightly quieter than West although this is definitely improving as it’s expanding and it’s been a big focus of the university. There’s still social events, it’s just naturally quieter because it’s a smaller campus than West. But essentially I’d say choose based on the accommodation you prefer
vivv322
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
I would say all 3 are very similar! Constantine has a bit of a rep for being posh but I’d say that’s just a stereotype. Langwith is the oldest college (moved to Hes East when it was built but was one of the founding colleges alongside Derwent) so maybe has a more established reputation because of that. Overall I’d say you’ll have a very similar experience at all 3 colleges so go for whichever accommodation you prefer.

Hes East is slightly quieter than West although this is definitely improving as it’s expanding and it’s been a big focus of the university. There’s still social events, it’s just naturally quieter because it’s a smaller campus than West. But essentially I’d say choose based on the accommodation you prefer
Thanks, that's helpful

I've always wanted to go to York and I always envisioned living on Heslington West as my brother did. He keeps telling me to live on West even though my department is on East, though he is biased, so it makes me worry that I'll miss out if I choose West over East.
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks, that's helpful

I've always wanted to go to York and I always envisioned living on Heslington West as my brother did. He keeps telling me to live on West even though my department is on East, though he is biased, so it makes me worry that I'll miss out if I choose West over East.
It’s totally down to personal preference really - have you visited the campuses at all? I went for West because I wanted a cheaper accommodation and it was nearer to my department, but if you prefer the newer accommodations on East or you’d rather be close to your department then East isn’t a silly choice!
vivv322
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
It’s totally down to personal preference really - have you visited the campuses at all? I went for West because I wanted a cheaper accommodation and it was nearer to my department, but if you prefer the newer accommodations on East or you’d rather be close to your department then East isn’t a silly choice!
Yes, I've been to both. I've been to East twice for open days and interviews, and I've been to West several times. Do people from both campuses mix often?
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I've been to both. I've been to East twice for open days and interviews, and I've been to West several times. Do people from both campuses mix often?
Yeah pretty fluidly, especially because people meet through societies and stuff - I lived in Derwent and yet I have a really even split of friends on both campuses!
yoyo334
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi

I live on West and have lectures on East, I'm not too sure which is the best college on East but I would say they are less lively then living on West (bar maybe Alcuin). On East there is one college bar called Glasshouse which has weekly quiz nights, music nights and karaoke nights and serves food through the day. A couple of times a term they host "Marmite" where they play really cheesy music with the premise being you'll either love it or you'll hate it. The colleges all have common rooms but so do West, other then that I think East lacks a central social hub. The people from my course who live there say it is pretty quiet and when they are being social it tends to be flat parties or chilling in their very spacious kitchens. There is a very nice albeit expensive gym on East and I think (but do check) the colleges have a once weekly catered meal.

On West there are four campus bars which host a range of activities including a weekly Jazz night, karaoke and different events that crop up during the term. A couple of times a term Courtyard (one of the bars) host Time Warp where they play music through the decades, D-bar quite frequently have events such as Jungle-D where everyone had to dress up as animals and V-bar has weekly Jazz nights. About once a term a vintage fair will pop up too, there was also a plant sale and there are talks and open lectures that you can attend which doesn't happen on East. Most university wide societies tend to meet somewhere on West on the sports field for matches and practice or in lecture halls or rehearsal spaces. Also you can walk from West into town, you can from East but it is a bit further and not many people I know do and as York is a very beautiful and happening city it's worth visiting often . Also there is a lot more catered accommodation on West (though not at the weekends) which is quite sociable as people tend to eat with their flat and is also very useful.

Overall East has very nice accommodation, it is definitely more swanky and modern then West but I think it lacks the activity of West. There is some quite modern accommodation, not as modern as East but still pretty nice, in Vanbrugh and James that may be worth having a look at. Also worth noting that there is a free bus that runs around every 7 mins between campuses but you can get there much quicker if you cycle as they're not too far apart - there's lots of secure places for your bike if you have one on both campuses.

Obvs this is just my opinion! There really isn't a right or wrong place to live and where you live will mostly be what you make it :P
vivv322
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by yoyo334)
Hi

I live on West and have lectures on East, I'm not too sure which is the best college on East but I would say they are less lively then living on West (bar maybe Alcuin). On East there is one college bar called Glasshouse which has weekly quiz nights, music nights and karaoke nights and serves food through the day. A couple of times a term they host "Marmite" where they play really cheesy music with the premise being you'll either love it or you'll hate it. The colleges all have common rooms but so do West, other then that I think East lacks a central social hub. The people from my course who live there say it is pretty quiet and when they are being social it tends to be flat parties or chilling in their very spacious kitchens. There is a very nice albeit expensive gym on East and I think (but do check) the colleges have a once weekly catered meal.

On West there are four campus bars which host a range of activities including a weekly Jazz night, karaoke and different events that crop up during the term. A couple of times a term Courtyard (one of the bars) host Time Warp where they play music through the decades, D-bar quite frequently have events such as Jungle-D where everyone had to dress up as animals and V-bar has weekly Jazz nights. About once a term a vintage fair will pop up too, there was also a plant sale and there are talks and open lectures that you can attend which doesn't happen on East. Most university wide societies tend to meet somewhere on West on the sports field for matches and practice or in lecture halls or rehearsal spaces. Also you can walk from West into town, you can from East but it is a bit further and not many people I know do and as York is a very beautiful and happening city it's worth visiting often . Also there is a lot more catered accommodation on West (though not at the weekends) which is quite sociable as people tend to eat with their flat and is also very useful.

Overall East has very nice accommodation, it is definitely more swanky and modern then West but I think it lacks the activity of West. There is some quite modern accommodation, not as modern as East but still pretty nice, in Vanbrugh and James that may be worth having a look at. Also worth noting that there is a free bus that runs around every 7 mins between campuses but you can get there much quicker if you cycle as they're not too far apart - there's lots of secure places for your bike if you have one on both campuses.

Obvs this is just my opinion! There really isn't a right or wrong place to live and where you live will mostly be what you make it :P
Thanks for the in depth answer, it's really helpful! York has always been my favourite city so no matter which campus I'm on, I will be visiting the city often. I've seen some people say that of those they know who have lectures on East but live on West, they wish they'd chosen to live on East. Is this the same for you, and does it really not matter that much? From the sounds of what you've said, both campuses are good but one is just a bit more lively?
alice992019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was in Derwent, not Langwith but many of my friends were and trust me it was sooooo much better. Goodrike is quite similar too but if you can afford it go to Langwith.
vivv322
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by alice992019)
I was in Derwent, not Langwith but many of my friends were and trust me it was sooooo much better. Goodrike is quite similar too but if you can afford it go to Langwith.
I did want to be in Goodricke but the 3/4 beds and nicer looking social areas in Langwith have swayed me. Did you have lectures on West or East?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed