Training Contract Watch

helpllm123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a tc with firm y who has sponsored my lpc and provided me with a stipend. If I apply to firm x, will this firm provide me with an lpc grant and a stipend so that I can return these monies to firm y?
flatlined
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My instinct was to reply back saying "this doesn't sound wise" and I have never heard of anyone doing this. After you've accepted the cash, things start getting quite difficult. Firms usually pay LPC fees direct to the LPC provider. Some firms don't reimburse LPC fees, some do. The new firm would have to be made aware of the situation and agree to pay the other firm back. Which would be politically difficult and worst case scenario, they won't agree to it. You'd probably also need to check your TC contract, but anything in there restricting you would very likely be an unenforceable restraint of trade. There could be a clause about you having to repay fees if you don't start - however some firms don't have that clause and, if so, may find it difficult to get repayment; for example, some US firms, I think, don't have it in the contracts so if someone fails a module on the LPC, then they reserve the right not to take that person on; I think the lack of payback of fees/stipend works both ways.

I don't think that's a great answer, but it's as good as any guess...
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes that all sounds perfectly doable.

Assuming firm X offers a stipend at least equal to the stipend you got from firm Y!

Different firms have different policies regarding whether they will reimburse LPC fees and pay a stipend if you are already studying. You would need to make sure you understand firm Y's policies and possibly discussion your situation with firm Y's HR before you accept an offer from them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads