University law choices regrets Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm posting here to be anon by the way for some reason even though no one knows me cause new account
Right, so
I have law offers from UCL, Birmingham and Bristol. Got 23 on my MCQ for LNAT but i was so pleased with my essay. Loved the question, something about the judicial system and issues. Anyway, I love UCL. I am grateful to have gotten in considering my LNAT score. But I really regret not applying to LSE. I really regret it. I know I probably couldn't have gotten in (though I did see someone get in there with 23), but I have a feeling I could have (I do however think this feeling is just stemming from my lack of closure I guess) cause it was my dream university. I've loved the uni since I've been considering law and I applied to Birmingham instead to have a safe option (also applied cambridge and kings got post-interview cambridge rejection) as all the rest are pretty competitive. The day after, I got an offer from Bristol but it was after the 15th deadline that I applied to Birmingham so couldn't change it.

I don't know. I just really regret it. The worst part is, LSE doesn't do any UCAS sh*t like extra, clearing or adjustment.

Does anyone else feel this way?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm posting here to be anon by the way for some reason even though no one knows me cause new account
Right, so
I have law offers from UCL, Birmingham and Bristol. Got 23 on my MCQ for LNAT but i was so pleased with my essay. Loved the question, something about the judicial system and issues. Anyway, I love UCL. I am grateful to have gotten in considering my LNAT score. But I really regret not applying to LSE. I really regret it. I know I probably couldn't have gotten in (though I did see someone get in there with 23), but I have a feeling I could have (I do however think this feeling is just stemming from my lack of closure I guess) cause it was my dream university. I've loved the uni since I've been considering law and I applied to Birmingham instead to have a safe option (also applied cambridge and kings got post-interview cambridge rejection) as all the rest are pretty competitive. The day after, I got an offer from Bristol but it was after the 15th deadline that I applied to Birmingham so couldn't change it.

I don't know. I just really regret it. The worst part is, LSE doesn't do any UCAS sh*t like extra, clearing or adjustment.

No sure what it is you want or that many people will be able to sympathise with your agony.
The easy solution as you feel itssuch an issue is simply to take a gap and apply to LSE the following year.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Not many people will be in your specific situation, but the FOMO you are experiencing (fear of missing out) is something most people can relate to. I think you would be completely happy with UCL if you had applied to LSE and got rejected, but the worry in your mind is that maybe you would have been accepted, so you might have missed out on going there by "wasting" a safe choice at Birmingham.
Not many people will be in your specific situation, but the FOMO you are experiencing (fear of missing out) is something most people can relate to. I think you would be completely happy with UCL if you had applied to LSE and got rejected, but the worry in your mind is that maybe you would have been accepted, so you might have missed out on going there by "wasting" a safe choice at Birmingham.

There is no easy answer to your concern because even if you took a year out, you know that you still might get a rejection from LSE next year, and then you would feel foolish. The applications you made seemed right at the time, and made sense in terms of the spread from aspirational (Cambridge) to safe (Birmingham). So I would just try and make peace with the choices you made, and look forward to starting at the amazing Uni that is UCL. If you really can't do that, a Year Out is your only option.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right, so

My tiny violin is playing for you. Most people would give their right arm for a place at ucl
Anonymous #1
(Original post by harrysbar)

There is no easy answer to your concern because even if you took a year out, you know that you still might get a rejection from LSE next year, and then you would feel foolish. The applications you made seemed right at the time, and made sense in terms of the spread from aspirational (Cambridge) to safe (Birmingham). So I would just try and make peace with the choices you made, and look forward to starting at the amazing Uni that is UCL. If you really can't do that, a Year Out is your only option.
thank you, honestly I appreciate this. Exactly, it’s the ‘closure’ I guess. I should’ve applied, I should’ve swapped KCL for it tbh. It’s just frustrating because it was always my actual dream university, I’ve always wanted to go. It’s also annoying cause LSE doesn’t do extra or clearing or adjustment.

I know UCL is great, I legit cried when I got an offer. I think I’d fit in and like it a lot, I visited the other day and honest to god fell in love with it. I just have regrets, I think I always thought I wasn’t good enough for any uni except Birmingham and so in my mind thought it was embarrassing to apply to such high universities. Even now, I got 23 on the LNAT and I feel like everyone I tell is underwhelmed and gets confused and it makes me think they think it’s w mistake. I know that’s ridiculous, but oh well.

Thank you, you’re right, I’ll love UCL.

Ps thanks for being legit the only useful response
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you, honestly I appreciate this. Exactly, it’s the ‘closure’ I guess. I should’ve applied, I should’ve swapped KCL for it tbh. It’s just frustrating because it was always my actual dream university, I’ve always wanted to go. It’s also annoying cause LSE doesn’t do extra or clearing or adjustment.

I know UCL is great, I legit cried when I got an offer. I think I’d fit in and like it a lot, I visited the other day and honest to god fell in love with it. I just have regrets, I think I always thought I wasn’t good enough for any uni except Birmingham and so in my mind thought it was embarrassing to apply to such high universities. Even now, I got 23 on the LNAT and I feel like everyone I tell is underwhelmed and gets confused and it makes me think they think it’s w mistake. I know that’s ridiculous, but oh well.

Thank you, you’re right, I’ll love UCL.

Ps thanks for being legit the only useful response
You're welcome - I think what you are feeling is quite understandable but you'll come to terms with everything once you've settled in at UCL and it becomes "your" Uni.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by harrysbar)
You're welcome - I think what you are feeling is quite understandable but you'll come to terms with everything once you've settled in at UCL and it becomes "your" Uni.
Hopefully yeah. I mean I could always apply for LLM there anyway, right? UCL is great, I'm not saying it's not, and to the posters above saying I'm ungrateful, I'm really not. I love UCL and I am honestly excited to get there, and who knows, even if I did get an offer, maybe I'd have chosen UCL anyway. I'm allowed to have regrets
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hopefully yeah. I mean I could always apply for LLM there anyway, right? UCL is great, I'm not saying it's not, and to the posters above saying I'm ungrateful, I'm really not. I love UCL and I am honestly excited to get there, and who knows, even if I did get an offer, maybe I'd have chosen UCL anyway. I'm allowed to have regrets
Yes, no reason you couldn't apply to LSE for the LLM in future - if you could tear yourself away from UCL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.51%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.51%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (86)
15.06%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
9.98%
How can I be the best version of myself? (173)
30.3%

Watched Threads