Tuition fee error Watch

Jct1708
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm doing my postgraduate studies and last year interrupted for ill health. Having been only 16 weeks in, I had paid the first 2/3 of my fees, but they were billed pro-rata and I had a large credit on my account. I left it there, knowing I would need to pay it (and more) on my return. I asked the finance team to calculate my fees before I left and acknowledge the credit, which they did.

As soon as I re-enrolled, I contacted them to pay my fees and was told they were paid on full. I insisted to 4 different people that they were not - I had paid 2/3 and was subject to the increase for my new semester. But they insisted and even refunded a portion. Finally someone recognised their earlier mistake and gave me the figure I expected.

Despite this, I keep contacting the uni to be told my fees are paid in full. I'm sitting on £2.6k waiting to pay but have no means to - my online account even shows all invoices have been cleared.

What can I do? I tried emailing the guy who made the mistake initially, to ask him to sort it, but they just cc'd him in saying the invoice was clear and I've heard nothing since.
Catherine1973
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would just leave it. Put the money into a separate account and see what happens. You have tried your best and if they discover their mistake they can of course ask you for it (within I think 6 years). Annoying but at least you can earn the interest on it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I second the above, you've tried to pay, just keep the money set aside so you can pay if they change their minds
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I third the above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise