The Student Room Group

Dog tips at university

I am getting a dog this summer before I start final year and I was just wondering what other people who have had dogs at uni would consider their ‘top tips’ on making things run as smoothly as possible. I’m pretty sure I’ve considered most things but just wanted some personal experiences and anything that made things easier for you.

I’m an animal student and have a part time job as a dog trainer. My dog is able to come to work with me and I live 2 minutes walk from where most of my lectures are so the dog won’t be on its own for more than 2 hours. I’ll be getting an adult rescue dog from a very reputable rescue who make sure dogs personalities are well matched with their owner and their owners situation. I also have a job lined up after uni (again where my dog can come with me).

I’m not looking for comments from non dog owners along the lines of ‘you shouldn’t get a dog etc’. Just genuine advice from people in a similar situation 😊 TIA
Are your landlord and housemates going to be OK with that idea?
Reply 2
Yes my landlord is fine with it, obviously that was one of my first considerations. I live on my own (so roommates aren’t an issue) in an apartment attached to his house and he has 2 dogs of his own which I look after.
are you sure you'll find a place to live after uni with a dog?
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
are you sure you'll find a place to live after uni with a dog?

Yes. Again, I’m not looking for advice on whether or not to get a dog, just things that people with dogs at uni have found to be a helpful tip. Thanks
Reply 5
I got a dog at the start of my third year too, best tips would be make sure you have plenty of time before the start of term to get the new dog used to his new place, and buy loads of distraction toys for long days - mine loves 'kong' toys frozen with dog food/yoghurt. Having a dog at uni is amazing but I did find it hard adjusting when studying, make sure you work well studying at home, I found it hard not being able to spend long nights up at the university library because I couldn't leave him alone for too long.
Reply 6
Thanks for replying :smile: I’ll be moving in a month before I start so we’ll have a month to settle in to the flat together. I have a kong but I’ll invest in a few more ‘brain toys’ once I see what he likes most 😊 I do most of my uni work at home tbh, our uni library doesn’t have any private study areas and I struggle to concentrate with lots of people so hopefully that won’t be an issue! 😊 thanks for the tips!
Original post by missbrr
I got a dog at the start of my third year too, best tips would be make sure you have plenty of time before the start of term to get the new dog used to his new place, and buy loads of distraction toys for long days - mine loves 'kong' toys frozen with dog food/yoghurt. Having a dog at uni is amazing but I did find it hard adjusting when studying, make sure you work well studying at home, I found it hard not being able to spend long nights up at the university library because I couldn't leave him alone for too long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending