Boyfriend’s dad forgets my name? Watch

emilyjane99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have been with my boyfriend three years and have a really good relationship with his parents.
However, my boyfriends dad has been known to forget my name? Which I find surprisingly upsets me.
This morning, he nearly turned away a parcel as he could not recognise the name it was addressed to, which of course was mine.
How am I supposed to feel about this? Do I have a right to feel upset? My boyfriend asks me not to take it personally as he can be forgetful. But forgetting my name??
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by emilyjane99)
I have been with my boyfriend three years and have a really good relationship with his parents.
However, my boyfriends dad has been known to forget my name? Which I find surprisingly upsets me.
This morning, he nearly turned away a parcel as he could not recognise the name it was addressed to, which of course was mine.
How am I supposed to feel about this? Do I have a right to feel upset? My boyfriend asks me not to take it personally as he can be forgetful. But forgetting my name??
I frequently forget my son's girlfriends name - it is Sara and I keep calling her Emma. But worse - he keeps calling her Harriet ( his old girlfriend of 3 years back) Get over it - you have a good relationship with them. Believe me - NO girl will ever be good enough for a son's parents - they are our little boys and you are coming to take them away.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
I frequently forget my son's girlfriends name - it is Sara and I keep calling her Emma. But worse - he keeps calling her Harriet ( his old girlfriend of 3 years back) Get over it - you have a good relationship with them. Believe me - NO girl will ever be good enough for a son's parents - they are our little boys and you are coming to take them away.
bit of a poisonous outlook you have there sugar
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been with my partner for going on four years now, and her parents to this day get my name wrong (i.e. in pronunciation or just saying a completely different name).
Maybe they're being serious, maybe they're joking, but I take it on the chin, know that not everyone's perfect, and mistakes can and will happen.
Just because you're his girlfriend doesn't automatically mean that his parents should know you inside out, including seemingly trivial things such remembering your name in muscle memory. As harsh as that sounds, it's true, especially for genuinely forgetful people. My mum can be talking about me, and go through every name in the family before she gets to mine... And she's my mum. Do I then proceed to think that maybe my mum doesn't know who I am? No.
If you have a good relationship with your boyfriend's parents, then that's something great in itself. Many relationships haven't even reached that stage yet. Don't take it for granted simply due to miniscule problems such as this.
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 4 weeks ago
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I struggle to remember my siblings' partners. These things happen, move on.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
bit of a poisonous outlook you have there sugar
It was said in jest. Believe me when you are a parent you will feel the same
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you're taking this far too personally.

People's memory deteriorates as they get older, it's not your fault that he forgets your name. In fact it's pretty common for people to not remember names. It's a non-issue.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
You too old to be on TSR bud!
velvethopes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone can be a student at any age bud.

OP, my own parents forget my name lmao. I wouldn't think much of it!
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sigh the website is student room. Not spotty hormonal teenage room. Been on this site many years as have a lot of older people many of whom advise you less mature bods. So if you are over 21 you cannot be a student according to you. Oldest I know of is Seamus123 who is 70 just finished her degree. She recently changed her user name. Little bit more respect bud.
Jono*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol my own dad forgets my name....it doesn't matter stop taking offense
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What rubbish! You may not be able to accept and love your son's girlfriend but many women can.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
What rubbish! You may not be able to accept and love your son's girlfriend but many women can.
Jeez it was said in jest. Lighten up. She is adorable but when you are a parent you will realise that no-one is quite good enough.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Jeez it was said in jest. Lighten up. She is adorable but when you are a parent you will realise that no-one is quite good enough.
I am a parent - we are not all like you with our sons.
Anony95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would be upset by that too!! Unless they have loads of kids who keep changing partners all the time then there's no excuse to not learn one name
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads