The Student Room Group

Take the accent/dialect Quiz!

Scroll to see replies

didnt take a picture but it was most north wales, so my accent apparently hasn't changed as much as i thought it had since leaving there.
Pretty accurate, I was raised in the Bradford area from the age of 6, having being born in the west Midlands. My parents are both from near Manchester... My vocab is fairly Northern .Screenshot_20190217-190256.png
(edited 5 years ago)
Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 19.35.14.png
I live around Bristol so yeah
Original post by Sataris
This quiz is entertaining just for seeing all the crazy words some people have for things

It's interesting filling it out with people you know well. My mum would say nesh for it being cold, I didn't even know that word existed before today and not aware that I've heard her use it :lol:
From Teesside. Spot on.

They coulda really got it just from the mam one.
Reply 25
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Sometimes people don't say I "have an accent" but the quiz below shows I'm true to my roots :tongue: mine was bang on, is yours?

You don't necessarily need to post your result/where you're from, just let us know how accurate it was. Maybe you were brought up in different areas, let's see if it can pick that up!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

My result (completely correct):

Nottingham

Screenshot_20190217-093233_Facebook-compressed.jpg.jpeg

not accurate but i probably confused it hahaha
Reply 26
My result was pretty accurate, around Cambridge area :yes:
(edited 5 years ago)
Mine got very confused :erm: :lol:

Spoiler

I just took the quiz and it said around Lincolnshire, which is pretty accurate!

Original post by shadowdweller

Spoiler

Wow! Was it a little accurate for you at all?
Original post by shadowdweller

Spoiler

You do seem to have had a mix of words and pronunciations to be fair. Like you say grass with a short a but say won like one not wun :tongue:
but say won like one not wun :tongue:

Won, one and wun can all sound different?!? :eek2:
Original post by Labrador99
Won, one and wun can all sound different?!? :eek2:

Yeah! I would say "you've won (wun) one prize", not you've won (one) one prize :tongue:
Yeah! I would say "you've won (wun) one prize", not you've won (one) one prize :tongue:

I genuinely can't hear in my head what that would sound like :lol: I would say "you've wun wun prize" :smile:
I genuinely can't hear in my head what that would sound like :lol: I would say "you've wun wun prize" :smile:

So you say one as wun? That would sound very northern :tongue:
So you say one as wun? That would sound very northern :tongue:

I would say both one and won as wun :lol:

The a in cat, father and last also all sound the same :giggle:
I would say both one and won as wun :lol:

The a in cat, father and last also all sound the same :giggle:

Oh wow, mine would he different #midlands :tongue:
Same here! :yep: the only exception for me is that I say latte as larrrtte idk why :lol:

Well I am from London so fairly accurate I think
Nice! I think a lot of it is more about the use of colloquialisms (use of different words) than accent (prounation of words) :smile:

People say I don't have much of an accent or at least not a Nottingham accent but I use words such as mardy, cob etc. Then again I had never heard of some of them like apparent nesh = cold :tongue:
Oh my gosh it got my city right loool
Yeah I didn't know there were any other words for a woodlouse :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest