Why do plants have to convert the energy in glucose to ATP ? Watch

JacobBob
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I mean, why can’t they just use the energy in glucose right away ?
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's the mystery of biochemistry. Probably something to do with a nice controlled release of energy within cells. You can't just start a bonfire inside you body and throw a bit of glucose on top!
Last edited by Zarek; 1 month ago
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
The energy currency of life is ATP, NOT ONLY in plants as per your Q, but ALSO IN ANIMALS - the binding of the third phosphate group (-PO3) to ADP requires a large amount of energy, which is released when ATP breaks down to ADP giving out that phosphate. This is usable energy - the energy in glucose is stored as chemical energy that is not directly usable by living things.
The A-level kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JacobBob)
Glucose itself is a very large molecule and difficult for plants to gain energy from in its initial form. The energy it needs is in the form of ATP molecules which can only be accessed through the metabolism of glucose via its biochemical pathways. Even us humans we have to break glucose down via aerobic respiration in order to use ATP. Think of glucose as a large vehicle to carry lots of ATP molecules. In this form ATP strongly binds to glucose as a whole and isn't ready to give ATP molecules away so easily. It would be highly unstable otherwise.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you learnt why ATP is a good energy molecule? You'll find that Glucose doesn't have those properties.
JacobBob
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,
The energy currency of life is ATP, NOT ONLY in plants as per your Q, but ALSO IN ANIMALS - the binding of the third phosphate group (-PO3) to ADP requires a large amount of energy, which is released when ATP breaks down to ADP giving out that phosphate. This is usable energy - the energy in glucose is stored as chemical energy that is not directly usable by living things.
Right, a question please, When glucose enters our body, it doesn’t stay long does it ? I mean, its either broken down in respiration or converted to glycogen for storage ?
JacobBob
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Have you learnt why ATP is a good energy molecule? You'll find that Glucose doesn't have those properties.
That it’s small, soluble and easily(or quickly, which one should I use ?) hydrolysed ?

These are the only ones I know but I’m pretty sure in AS, I was made to understand that glucose has all these properties too
The A-level kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right, a question please, When glucose enters our body, it doesn’t stay long does it ? I mean, its either broken down in respiration or converted to glycogen for storage ?
It's still stored in your body. Excess glucose stored is glycogen and when your body has low blood sugar levels, this causes glucagon to stimulate the liver to release glucose from its glycogen stores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise