need help on acid and base multiple choice question Watch

Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys I am completely stuck can someone guide me through this question please
Last edited by Stormragexox; 1 month ago
Stormragexox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Stormragexox)
Hey guys I am completely stuck can someone guide me through this question
Name:  FullSizeRender (28).jpg
Views: 6
Size:  35.7 KB
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Slightly higher.
Solution F is the start of a slow esterification reaction. Solution G is the equilibrium formed due to the reaction.
The equilibrium will be: propanoic acid + methanol \rightleftharpoons methyl propanoate + water.

In Solution F, some of the propanoic acid will dissociate into H3O+, to give a pH.
The concentration of propanoic acid will decrease as the reaction proceeds, gradually resulting in the equilibrium being formed in Solution G.
However, since there's already an excess of water from Solution F, the equilibrium formed will be well towards the left hand side, favouring the production of propanoic acid (and methanol). However, the propanoic acid will be of a smaller concentration than in Solution F, as some has reacted to form products.
So, the propanoic acid that's left will be disassociating. But, a smaller concentration of propanoic acid means a smaller concentration of H3O+, which by definition results in a higher pH.
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 month ago
Stormragexox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Slightly higher.
Solution F is the start of a slow esterification reaction. Solution G is the equilibrium formed due to the reaction.
The equilibrium will be: propanoic acid + methanol \rightleftharpoons methyl propanoate + water.

In Solution F, some of the propanoic acid will dissociate into H3O+, to give a pH.
The concentration of propanoic acid will decrease as the reaction proceeds, gradually resulting in the equilibrium being formed in Solution G.
However, since there's already an excess of water from Solution F, the equilibrium formed will be well towards the left hand side, favouring the production of propanoic acid (and methanol). However, the propanoic acid will be of a smaller concentration than in Solution F, as some has reacted to form products.
So, the propanoic acid that's left will be disassociating. But, a smaller concentration of propanoic acid means a smaller concentration of H3O+, which by definition results in a higher pH.
Thank you for replying what would react with the propanoic acid to decrease its concentration
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Stormragexox)
Thank you for replying what would react with the propanoic acid to decrease its concentration
The methanol.
Like I mentioned in my initial reply, this is an esterification reaction. Hence, the propanoic acid will react with the methanol to produce methyl propanoate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads