Mom said I look ugly without makeup Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
There’s a pretty entertaining online comic about a girl who lives a double life because when she removes her makeup, she looks like a completely different person.
Now, I’m really feeling what that must be like.
I’ve always known that im not very attractive without makeup, but I didn’t really want it confirmed like this.
Yesterday, my mom had friends over and before they arrived, she went “you still havent put on makeup yet?” And told me to hurry up. She said that I couldn’t “show my face like this” and that I looked like a completely different person with makeup. The worrying thing isn’t that I don’t even wear heavy makeup. Light layer of foundation, some eyeshadow on the lower eye, mascara & lip balm.

Wasn’t a pleasant experience having it solidified that I’m ugly without makeup. Starting to think that I’d never want super close friends, or a boyfriend as I would inevitably have to show them my ugly bare face one day?
azelia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't listen to your mum. And if people can't love and appreciate you for the way you are then they don't deserve to be around you. You can't let the opinions of others determine your own self-worth.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wow - just wow, could she be joking in fact? maybe sit down and talk to her and tell her how you feel, dont yearn to present yourself with makeup just to please your mother though
blueworld2378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seriously? Lol. Why care about other people. No one will care about you.
rose.obrien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can’t help who u are attracted to. In the same way, your future boyfriend won’t just stop having feelings for u when u take off ur makeup, so dw! I feel like he doesn’t have a choice in his feelings

Anyway, we all look better with makeup-that’s a fact. So everyone is more critical of themselves without makeup.
Your mum is being very very harsh. Maybe she was just stressed out with friends coming over. Maybe she was comparing u to all the other girls she sees in everyday life, who all wear makeup
Everyone wearing makeup raises the overall standard so high
And if we all didn’t wear makeup, the standard would be lowered. Ur mum would think u are pretty in comparison to everyone else
I bet ur stunning anyway
This kind of reminds me of the quote ‘don’t compare ur backstage struggles to someone else’s forefront performance ‘
Idek if I’ve got my point across completely
But yeah I hope u can recognise how beautiful u are❤️ be confident in yourself! There have most likely been ppl who have admired some of your features, or even strangers glancing at you feeling envious of your looks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There’s a pretty entertaining online comic about a girl who lives a double life because when she removes her makeup, she looks like a completely different person.
Now, I’m really feeling what that must be like.
I’ve always known that im not very attractive without makeup, but I didn’t really want it confirmed like this.
Yesterday, my mom had friends over and before they arrived, she went “you still havent put on makeup yet?” And told me to hurry up. She said that I couldn’t “show my face like this” and that I looked like a completely different person with makeup. The worrying thing isn’t that I don’t even wear heavy makeup. Light layer of foundation, some eyeshadow on the lower eye, mascara & lip balm.

Wasn’t a pleasant experience having it solidified that I’m ugly without makeup. Starting to think that I’d never want super close friends, or a boyfriend as I would inevitably have to show them my ugly bare face one day?
Your mum is probably projecting her own insecurities and beliefs onto you. She probably thinks that you should always wear make up in the company of others and to her, that means you look presentable. She may feel insecure without wearing make up and so she may think that you feel the same.
My mother's grandmother was always presentable, she always did her hair and make up every day and my mother admired that and she does the same thing and believes in looking presentable all the time, so maybe it's a similar thing?
If you're close to your mum, then maybe you should bring it up and mention how it made you feel. You may have interpreted her meaning wrong and she can reassure you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed