Confused about campuses Watch

rose.obrien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I read that there are 2 campuses and 16 colleges.

If u apply for law, is the campus Durham City? Or could it be either?
As u are in one campus, is is possible to go to any of the 16 colleges? Or are some colleges only an option if u go to a certain campus?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rose.obrien)

As u are in one campus, is is possible to go to any of the 16 colleges? Or are some colleges only an option if u go to a certain campus?
https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/ucas/

"When you apply you can state a preference for a particular college by using the appropriate college campus code
You don’t have to include a college preference at the application stage if you don’t want to – if you want to make an open application then use campus code O and the university will allocate a college to you."
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Law is taught at the Durham City campus - I believe the Queens campus is mainly geared towards international students doing preparatory courses before beginning a degree programme.
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/ucas/

"When you apply you can state a preference for a particular college by using the appropriate college campus code
You don’t have to include a college preference at the application stage if you don’t want to – if you want to make an open application then use campus code O and the university will allocate a college to you."
Thank u for taking the time to get that info for me! Do u know if stating a preference affects your application? As in maybe that college is v popular (e.g Castle), so the uni will prefer to take on a application identical with yours, but with a more convenient preference. Or maybe they look at preferences after you’ve got an offer? Or maybe choosing a preference will show them that you’ve done research about the uni and are passionate about going there? I’m probably overthinking this lool
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Law is taught at the Durham City campus - I believe the Queens campus is mainly geared towards international students doing preparatory courses before beginning a degree programme.
Thank u! So does that mean that you are limited to apply to only some colleges, as the colleges would be situated throughout both campuses?
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank u for taking the time to get that info for me! Do u know if stating a preference affects your application? As in maybe that college is v popular (e.g Castle), so the uni will prefer to take on a application identical with yours, but with a more convenient preference. Or maybe they look at preferences after you’ve got an offer? Or maybe choosing a preference will show them that you’ve done research about the uni and are passionate about going there? I’m probably overthinking this lool
Your college choice is just a preference. it has absolutely no bearing on your admission to a course.

And regarding your follow up question, I suggest you look at the college locations, and the wealth of information online

eg https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ug/table/
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
Your college choice is just a preference. it has absolutely no bearing on your admission to a course.

And regarding your follow up question, I suggest you look at the college locations, and the wealth of information online

eg https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ug/table/
Ok that’s goodd
And thanks that link is so useful
I briefly looked online but I’ll look more thoroughly in the future, sorry xx
phoebeg76
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hiya! Actually, there is now only one campus. I don't know if this hasn't been updated as of yet on the university websites (which I would be surprised about, as its a pretty major change).
There used to be two campuses - the main Durham City campus which had 14 of the 16 colleges, and Queen's Campus in Stockton which had the remaining 2 of the 16.
You would have been allocated a college at the campus where your degree was taught, basically all the degrees that Durham is less known for used to be at Stockton (things like applied phycology, accounting and finance, and medicine). Doing law you only would have been allocated a college on the main Durham City campus, as this is where all of the teaching takes place.
Now though the Stockton campus has moved and integrated in with the Durham City one, so all of the colleges are now in Durham, and are close to University buildings, and so don't worry you will definitely be in Durham!
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's probably worth adding this to the thread:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/col.../howthisworks/

Posted from TSR Mobile
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
(Original post by phoebeg76)
Hiya! Actually, there is now only one campus. I don't know if this hasn't been updated as of yet on the university websites (which I would be surprised about, as its a pretty major change).
There used to be two campuses - the main Durham City campus which had 14 of the 16 colleges, and Queen's Campus in Stockton which had the remaining 2 of the 16.
You would have been allocated a college at the campus where your degree was taught, basically all the degrees that Durham is less known for used to be at Stockton (things like applied phycology, accounting and finance, and medicine). Doing law you only would have been allocated a college on the main Durham City campus, as this is where all of the teaching takes place.
Now though the Stockton campus has moved and integrated in with the Durham City one, so all of the colleges are now in Durham, and are close to University buildings, and so don't worry you will definitely be in Durham!
Thank u for taking the time to write this! Definitely clears it up
I think on the website it lists the colleges, but not which campus they are each on. As there’s only one campus, it makes sense to me now
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank u for taking the time to write this! Definitely clears it up
I think on the website it lists the colleges, but not which campus they are each on. As there’s only one campus, it makes sense to me now
Just to be clear, Durham isn't a campus university You can look at a map of the colleges and see which is close to your department (if proximity is a factor for you).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/map/
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
It's probably worth adding this to the thread:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/col.../howthisworks/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank youu
rose.obrien
Rep:
?
Just to be clear, Durham isn't a campus university You can look at a map of the colleges and see which is close to your department (if proximity is a factor for you).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/map/
Thank u, that will help when it comes to choosing a college
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (139)
18.19%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.08%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (131)
17.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.27%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (232)
30.37%

Watched Threads