Lancaster Watch

Evelina_iv
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, i am an international student as a one I am not pretty familiar with the reputation of the uk universities the only source of info I have is the compleat uni guide and similar sites so does university of Lancaster have a good reputation among employers, is it a top university (especially for business) and is it better than universities such as Glasgow Manchester Leeds?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Evelina_iv)
Hi, i am an international student as a one I am not pretty familiar with the reputation of the uk universities the only source of info I have is the compleat uni guide and similar sites so does university of Lancaster have a good reputation among employers, is it a top university (especially for business) and is it better than universities such as Glasgow Manchester Leeds?
Reputation means little and if you are an international student you may struggle to get a job here depending on your nationality and your uni will not be able to help. Focus on which uni has the best course for your interests.
Evelina_iv
Rep:
?
That’s what I am asking weather Lancaster or Leeds for example are good universities and well rated for business studies
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s what I am asking weather Lancaster or Leeds for example are good universities and well rated for business studies
As above, what is a 'good' uni for you? What in a course makes it good?
Evelina_iv
Rep:
?
The way it is taught is the most important but also a friend of mine told me that most of the employers in the UK pay attention to the “name” of the university and also there is a lot of time till that moment but as a master I wanted to study a certain Programme in Oxford I really liked and I guess if the university reputation is not so good it becomes harder to get into that university I don’t know as I already said I am not familiar with your criteria and so on
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The way it is taught is the most important but also a friend of mine told me that most of the employers in the UK pay attention to the “name” of the university and also there is a lot of time till that moment but as a master I wanted to study a certain Programme in Oxford I really liked and I guess if the university reputation is not so good it becomes harder to get into that university I don’t know as I already said I am not familiar with your criteria and so on
That’s why I’m advising you hun. Employers don’t care about uni name or reputation or how you are taught and nor does Oxford. They care about what you know and your skills and experience. If you’re only worried about name just look at a league table and be done with it. You don’t need advice if you’ve made up your mind.
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Evelina_iv,

I am a current second year student at Lancaster University studying Marketing Management. I understand it must be difficult to decide on a University not being able to visit but I am here to help, so any specific questions please direct them my way!

In my opinion, Lancaster University has an excellent reputation and just one of the reasons for me selecting to study here. From receiving the highest tier (Gold) Teaching Excellence Framework, to it being a Top 10 University and voted as University of the Year 2018 by the Times and Sunday Times I think this evidences the reputation. On a more personal level, I am very impressed with the facilities, accommodation, support and teaching I have received from my lectures in the Management School and often you are learning from the best as they are actively conducting research and writing books that you are learning from.

As a Lancaster University Management School (LUMS) student you also get to make use of the incredible careers service. The general University has a careers team too - so you can use the experience of both teams - the best of both worlds! The careers team bring speakers to University and put on skills sessions as well as workshops, mock interviews, assessment centres and 1-1 meetings and drop in sessions to go over your CV and cover letters.

In terms of employment - yes there is a fantastic reputation with employers. We consistently have employers visiting campus from the likes of Pwc, KMPG, Twitter, Unilever, Mondelez, Johnson & Johnson, The Hut Group and that is just to name a few. I am going to be studying a year long placement next year and some employers look for students from Lancaster University so it does give you an advantage sometimes. Reassuringly, Lancaster University is also ranked in the UK Top 3 for graduate prospects by the Times and Sunday Times!

I hope this gives you a bit of an insight. Anything else please ask!

Have a great day,

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads