Student life Aberdeen vs Heriot Watt (Edinburgh)

Watch
GaiaS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which has the best student life?( Nightlife, opportunities, student union..)
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by GaiaS)
Which has the best student life?( Nightlife, opportunities, student union..)
Probably Heriot-Watt - Edinburgh is a pretty big city (about four times the size of Aberdeen!) so it's more likely to have more clubs/bars/etc.
Idrissian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm interested in this aswell, which has better student life?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm from Edinburgh and one thing I'd have to say is that HW University is pretty far from the city centre. I would genuinely consider it in the outskirts of Edinburgh. I'm not sure where the university accommodation is located, but just be aware of the distance of the university campus from the actual nightlife area.

I'm not too familiar with Aberdeen, admittedly.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Edinburgh!
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm from Edinburgh and one thing I'd have to say is that HW University is pretty far from the city centre. I would genuinely consider it in the outskirts of Edinburgh. I'm not sure where the university accommodation is located, but just be aware of the distance of the university campus from the actual nightlife area.

I'm not too familiar with Aberdeen, admittedly.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Edinburgh!
I've actually applied to Edinburgh Uni but have never been before. Whats the city like and how close is the uni to city centre. Is there a lot to do in Edinburgh?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Idrissian)
I've actually applied to Edinburgh Uni but have never been before. Whats the city like and how close is the uni to city centre. Is there a lot to do in Edinburgh?
Hey! I graduated from Edinburgh Uni Both the city and the uni are fantastic. Halls are very, very close to the main uni area. What subject have you applied for?
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I graduated from Edinburgh Uni Both the city and the uni are fantastic. Halls are very, very close to the main uni area. What subject have you applied for?
I've applied for medicine, they still haven't sent any offers yet but fingers crossed. As someone who is a minority (black) I was hoping you could tell me what the diversity is like at Edinburgh the city as well as the uni. I've heard the city is beautiful and good things about the uni.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Idrissian)
I've applied for medicine, they still haven't sent any offers yet but fingers crossed. As someone who is a minority (black) I was hoping you could tell me what the diversity is like at Edinburgh the city as well as the uni. I've heard the city is beautiful and good things about the uni.
The university is incredibly diverse!

Regarding the city of Edinburgh, it has a small population compared to other metropolitan cities within the UK and as such is not as diverse as London or Manchester, but it's diverse enough for its size I think. Also, people are incredibly kind and welcoming so I wouldn't worry about discrimination!

As an aside, my background is South Asian and I was born and bred in Edinburgh - I can speak for Edinburgh from experience.
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 years ago
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The university is incredibly diverse!

Regarding the city of Edinburgh, it has a small population compared to other metropolitan cities within the UK and as such is not as diverse as London or Manchester, but it's diverse enough for its size I think. Also, people are incredibly kind and welcoming so I wouldn't worry about discrimination!

As an aside, my background is South Asian and I was born and bred in Edinburgh - I can speak for Edinburgh from experience.
Thats really nice to hear and has made me want to go there even more now thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads