Can You Get Rejected Based On Your GCSE Grades For RG Uni? Watch

A-Yellow-Spring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there, I'm planning to study a Level 3 BTEC Business diploma and I'm currently resitting Maths and English Lang, I'm struggling with my Maths resit as I have chosen to do higher because a good chunk of RG Universities that accept BTEC state that they want a 6 in GCSE Mathematics, yet I have never studied higher content before (I have recieved a 4 in my first Maths GCSE result). If I were to fail higher Maths, but resit twice, this time in foundation and get a 5 would my application to say e.g. Lancaster be rejected even if I met their English Lang GCSE requirement and their BTEC requirement because of a 5 in Maths? I'm planning to study Accounting and Finance at Uni or Business and Management.
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's certainly possible, as specifically stated requirements tend to be more strongly enforced than just general notions of "good GCSEs". I would imagine this would be especially true for A&F where you'll need at least a minimal mathematical background to cope with the course content anyway.
A-Yellow-Spring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's certainly possible, as specifically stated requirements tend to be more strongly enforced than just general notions of "good GCSEs". I would imagine this would be especially true for A&F where you'll need at least a minimal mathematical background to cope with the course content anyway.
So if Exeter states that they want a 5 in Mathematics and English Language then by that logic the requirements are met and they cannot reject my offer due to my GCSES but rather something else? Also is UEA a good university even though they are not a Russel Group University? Can employers discriminate and reject potential candidates based on their Universities?
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A-Yellow-Spring)
So if Exeter states that they want a 5 in Mathematics and English Language then by that logic the requirements are met and they cannot reject my offer due to my GCSES but rather something else? Also is UEA a good university even though they are not a Russel Group University? Can employers discriminate and reject potential candidates based on their Universities?
If you get a 5 in Maths and English language, then you'll meet their requirements. Of course if competition is really high they could still reject you for that compared to an otherwise identical candidate who got better GCSE results, but realistically outside of Oxbridge and LSE I highly doubt that's likely.

I'd probably suggest you make a new thread for your other questions, as they're quite different; you might also find some existing threads in e.g. the UEA forum or the careers forum for whatever career you're thinking about enlightening. Without getting too off topic, yes, some employers for some roles they will consider what university you go to - for example for banking, there is a reason "target universities" exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (137)
18.07%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (108)
14.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (75)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.47%

Watched Threads