The Student Room Group

Admission officer university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Admit-One
As others have said, there’s no point going in person. Many Admissions teams won’t even accommodate face to face to face meetings.

The only grounds for a complaint is if you have strong reason to believe the admissions procedure or policy hasn’t been applied correctly. Have you asked for feedback? Do you understand clearly why you weren’t accepted?

I retook my A levels and got CCC. The course I applied to on the website it states CCC without mentioning resits. Therefore, students like myself have assumed this is the entry requirements we need. Just to double check anyway, I called the university and mentioned my situation, my gap year and resits. I was told I can 're apply with CCC and my application will be considered, I precisely asked if my grades are ok and the university said I can apply.
I got rejected from this university + this course for the second time, it's a foundation year to be precise. I asked for feedback, and they said because I retook it's BCC for me.

I don't agree with their decision because I wasn't told this.
Also when I asked for feedback before I reapplied and checked my grades. I received an email from the university which said to improve my personal statement which I did. They didn't mention anything about my grades. If it was mentioned before I applied, fair enough, but it wasn't. In fact they said my grades are fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jdhfjeidjf
I retook my A levels and got CCC. The course I applied to on the website it states CCC without mentioning resits. Therefore, students like myself have assumed this is the entry requirements we need. Just to double check anyway, I called the university and mentioned my situation, my gap year and resits. I was told I can 're apply with CCC and my application will be considered, I precisely asked if my grades are ok and the university said I can apply.
I got rejected from this university + this course for the second time, it's a foundation year to be precise. I asked for feedback, and they said because I retook it's BCC for me.

Also when I asked for feedback before I reapplied and checked my grades. I received an email from the university which said to improve my personal statement which I did. They didn't mention anything about my grades. If it was mentioned before I applied, fair enough, but it wasn't. In fact they said my grades are fine.

Unless you have the advice about resits IN WRITING (ie. an email) you have no case.
You cannot prove anything said within a telephone call actually took place.
Without proof you have nothing on which to base any appeal.

I can understand your frustration, if you were clear that you had taken resits and they stated you would be considered. But ‘being considered’ isn’t a guarantee of an offer, nor is exceeding the stated typical offer.

All courses and departments will have a policy for how they consider retakes. Most wont publish them, that’s pretty much the norm. Maybe they do consider retakes, but only with mitigating circumstances, who knows.

Regardless of what was said in the phone call, it sounds like they’ve followed their process for the application itself so I think it’s very unlikely a complaint would get you anywhere.
Reply 23
Its half term for schools. I emailed the admission officer and he didn't get back to me. Are universities closed as well?
Its half term for schools. I emailed the admission officer and he didn't get back to me. Are universities closed as well?

No, admin staff will typically only get bank hols and the Christmas period off. They’ll be prioritising decision making up until the end of March. You’ll just have to be patient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending