BlackandWhite7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey guys

I am currently studying a 4 year business accounting and finance course at uni (UK) and have integrated accounting (audit) placements at PwC. (In Year 2 right now, aged 19)

Everyone on our course is also registered with ICAEW so I would become a fully qualified ICAEW chartered accountant if I work an extra year in my 5th year (in audit sector) to achieve 450 days of experience for this qualification.

BUT I've just realised in my placement I really dislike accounting and checking accounts/auditing for errors and confirming figures and only facing the client mainly to ask for more supporting documents - its just not what I want to make a career out of and do for 20-30 years for my career!

I now know my personality would love working on the 'front' (marketing/advertising/brands) of a business instead of wholly on the 'back end' (accounting) - I have always been more creative and have been able to come up with ideas and pick up photo/vid editing or SEO/advertising techniques /creative writing quite quickly.

This is why I want to do marketing as a career over accounting.
Ideally ( I know at the start I will have to do anything I can get) :

-marketing/advertising agency over in house for range of clients
-middle to larger sized company ( I like larger teams/social aspects)

I would appreciate any advice you may have after I have achieved the following (hopefully) after graduating:
-2:1 or better in Business Accounting + Finance course
-10 months work experience at PwC in accounting(audit)
-will do some part time/ambassadors roles in marketing and start a blog/learn technical SEO/google/fb ads skills

options after graduating:
Option 1 : Get Both ICAEW Chartered Accountant and study dual masters (3 years total)
-benefits would be same as before but both of them
-drawback is slowing down my career progression masters takes 2 more years whilst entering a mainly younger/creative minded industry that may prefer more youthful/fresh applicants

Option 2 : Dont study masters and job hunt with only ICAEW qualification

Also if there's any business type of job with less audit/account work that has a bit more variation/creativity in the work nature I'd appreciate if you could list any too!

Thanks for taking the time to read that long post and I'd appreciate any opinions/experiences you may have!
Last edited by BlackandWhite7; 9 months ago
joeymathias
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Do you have any tips for the business accounting and finance assessment day as i’ve got mine tomorrow? I’m especially nervous about the group assessment and what to expect. Thank you
LanceArmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Woah woah woah, way too many options! You're in a very good situation, believe it or not. The experience with PwC will make you stand out against sooo many other candidates! If you can get the ICAEW that would be awesome as not many have this. Also, if you want to go into marketing apply for work experience in Marketing roles and build up your portfolio, somewhere like Unilever or some national business where you can get experience (you may not even like it ).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Lance
BlackandWhite7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by joeymathias)
Do you have any tips for the business accounting and finance assessment day as i’ve got mine tomorrow? I’m especially nervous about the group assessment and what to expect. Thank you
ah sorry didn't see this in time as I was working, how did it go? hope it went well in group assessment!
(Original post by LanceArmstrong)
Woah woah woah, way too many options! You're in a very good situation, believe it or not. The experience with PwC will make you stand out against sooo many other candidates! If you can get the ICAEW that would be awesome as not many have this. Also, if you want to go into marketing apply for work experience in Marketing roles and build up your portfolio, somewhere like Unilever or some national business where you can get experience (you may not even like it ).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Lance
ah thanks yeah I probably said way to much but just wanted to consider literally everything haha

yes I will definitely apply to those roles then and check for any vacancies

true I might not like it but I think marketing seems more front end of business than just doing accounts, I know it pays less but it seems a bit more interesting day to day
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BlackandWhite7)
Hey guys

I am currently studying a 4 year business accounting and finance course at uni (UK) and have integrated accounting (audit) placements at PwC. (In Year 2 right now, aged 19)

Everyone on our course is also registered with ICAEW so I would become a fully qualified ICAEW chartered accountant if I work an extra year in my 5th year (in audit sector) to achieve 450 days of experience for this qualification.

BUT I've just realised in my placement I really dislike accounting and checking accounts/auditing for errors and confirming figures and only facing the client mainly to ask for more supporting documents - its just not what I want to make a career out of and do for 20-30 years for my career!

I now know my personality would love working on the 'front' (marketing/advertising/brands) of a business instead of wholly on the 'back end' (accounting) - I have always been more creative and have been able to come up with ideas and pick up photo/vid editing or SEO/advertising techniques /creative writing quite quickly.

This is why I want to do marketing as a career over accounting.
If you want to do Marketing rather than Accounting, I would advise you to do a one year MSc in Marketing after your degree. Some of these may include Marketing work experience but if yours doesn't, some of the charities like Cancer Research offer 3 month internships that can provide this. My daughter did this after a Psychology degree, and she found it relatively easy to find a job (and then to change jobs) due to the fact that digital marketing seems to be a (rare) growth area in graduate employment
sheffieldslt
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
From my perspective as a very mature student (long time member of Student Room as a parent but had tech issues with password!!) is that you should sit things out.

I have a good friend who is doing accountancy whilst working. I know the amount of effort it takes, however I also get a sense from knowing other young accountants that the qualification offers variety. In one firm life might be boring, change firm and you suddenly find your dream job.

If you can get funding, by all means do a marketing course - could even be done part time while you work in your first job.

I have to share that many years ago whilst an undergrad I wanted to give up my course and do something else (travelling). It just didn't seem interesting. I was given some choices and advised to stick it out for a while. I did stick at it and I got a 2:1. I have a Masters and I am now doing a PhD in the original subject and have always felt I am blessed in my career choice. I have, by the way, also done some travelling. I no longer live in the country I was born in. I have had some great trips including trips of several months. My ability to travel comes from the fact that I have a decent job.

Bottom line - stick at it, you are in a good position and I am pretty sure you will find a more front of house job that will utilise your accountancy skills.
BlackandWhite7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
If you want to do Marketing rather than Accounting, I would advise you to do a one year MSc in Marketing after your degree. Some of these may include Marketing work experience but if yours doesn't, some of the charities like Cancer Research offer 3 month internships that can provide this. My daughter did this after a Psychology degree, and she found it relatively easy to find a job (and then to change jobs) due to the fact that digital marketing seems to be a (rare) growth area in graduate employment
HI harrysbar yes that does make sense but on hindsight I think it might be better to get the ICAEW just to be safe - I will be sure to look at some charities and courses with work experiences though. Digital marketing certainly sounds very interesting, do you know what that job entails on a day to day basis? I don't have a lot of technical skill in coding / computer skills but I'm sure I could learn quickly.

(Original post by sheffieldslt)
From my perspective as a very mature student (long time member of Student Room as a parent but had tech issues with password!!) is that you should sit things out.

I have a good friend who is doing accountancy whilst working. I know the amount of effort it takes, however I also get a sense from knowing other young accountants that the qualification offers variety. In one firm life might be boring, change firm and you suddenly find your dream job.

If you can get funding, by all means do a marketing course - could even be done part time while you work in your first job.

I have to share that many years ago whilst an undergrad I wanted to give up my course and do something else (travelling). It just didn't seem interesting. I was given some choices and advised to stick it out for a while. I did stick at it and I got a 2:1. I have a Masters and I am now doing a PhD in the original subject and have always felt I am blessed in my career choice. I have, by the way, also done some travelling. I no longer live in the country I was born in. I have had some great trips including trips of several months. My ability to travel comes from the fact that I have a decent job.

Bottom line - stick at it, you are in a good position and I am pretty sure you will find a more front of house job that will utilise your accountancy skills.

Yeah thanks I think I should probably just bear through it too since the ICAEW is so valued. When you say original subject what subject do you mean? Congratulations on the Masters though wow being able to travel several months is truly amazing , I would strive to be able to have your lifestyle lol, whats your job now if you dont mind me asking?

yeah I think a more front house job would be accounting in industry as opposed to big4 accounting
sheffieldslt
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BlackandWhite7)
HI harrysbar yes that does make sense but on hindsight I think it might be better to get the ICAEW just to be safe - I will be sure to look at some charities and courses with work experiences though. Digital marketing certainly sounds very interesting, do you know what that job entails on a day to day basis? I don't have a lot of technical skill in coding / computer skills but I'm sure I could learn quickly.

Yeah thanks I think I should probably just bear through it too since the ICAEW is so valued. When you say original subject what subject do you mean? Congratulations on the Masters though wow being able to travel several months is truly amazing , I would strive to be able to have your lifestyle lol, whats your job now if you dont mind me asking?

yeah I think a more front house job would be accounting in industry as opposed to big4 accounting
Long trips less often - until I retire, then I will be on my way. At the moment I can now take 4 weeks of my annual leave all in one go. It hasn’t happened in a while because I have to take into account the needs of my pet!!

I am a speech and language therapist. Healthcare outside of medicine and dentistry is not known to be well-paid, but I enjoy it, I have stuck at it and my pay has risen to the extent that I have what I feel is a decent salary. For me, ‘decent’ is defined in a Micawber like way. I have enough to buy whatever I want and I always have something over in my bank account at the end of the month. ‘Whatever I want’ does not include 1st Class air travel and 5 star hotels. I do not lust after expensive shoes. I do insist that my nails and eyelashes are done though!! My paediatrician colleague gets more than twice what I do, but at the end of the day I don’t think that I would like to do what she is doing. Medics can’t have pretty nails either.

I am glad that it sounds like you are willing to stick to the accounting qualification. Almost no qualification is ever totally useless. Once you qualify you can start to look around and get the job that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.6%
12.83%
2 (99)
12.58%
18.68%
22.87%
19.44%

Watched Threads